‹‹‹ prev (697)

(699) next ›››

Millar Robt. grocer, genl. dlr. & spirit dealer
Morris John, carrier
*Munro John, joiner, Cluny bridge
Page William, builder & mason
Public Hall (Robert Small, clerk)
*Re;d Robert, blacksmith, Clunybridge
Seafch John, grocer
Shepherd James.blacksmith, Nether Stenton
Small llobert, clerk to parish council &
school board & inspector of poor, Council
office ; res. Lochgelly
"Wilson Robert, spirit dealer
* Young- Robert, grocer & spirit dealer,
Yule Agnes (Mrs.), grocer & postmistress
Yule Andrew, baker
Auid Peter, Bankhead
Barclay Bobert, jun. Auchmuir & Eedwells
Barclay Eobert, Craigend
Collier William, Parkneuk
â– Cook J. Bankhead of Pittenchar
Cummings George, Dogton
Dow Henry, Newcastle
-*Dow William, Muirton & Mildeans
Dvkes Andrew, West Finglassie
Gibb William & George A. East & West
Hamilton John, Goatmilk
Hutchison Alexander, Fosterton
* Johnston William, Templehall
Laird John, Caskisberran
Leslie Hon. George Waldegrave, Leslie
South parks
Locbead John, Upper Stenton
McKenzie Mrs. Mary, Finmonth
M'Nab John, Bowhouse & Pitlochrie
Paton John
*Rogers John. Clunie mains
Struthers John,Kinninmonth &Stra thru d die
Wingate Wm. & Alex. West Finglassie
KING3BARNS is a parish and village.
the latter 3 miles north-west of Crail and 7
â– south-east of St. Andrews, with a station on
the Thornton, Anstruther and St. Andrew^
section of the North British railway. The
parish, which is in the small debt court
d 1 strict of St. Andrews, extends 3^ miles
from north bo south by 3 in breadth, is
bounded north by St. Andrews and St.
Leonards, west and south by Crail and east
by the North Sea. Originally Kingsbarns
formed part of Crail, but was separated
from that parish in 1G31. Pitm'lly, a very
anc'ent seat, stands- in the northern part
of the parish. Cambo, the seat of the
former Earls of Kellie; but now of Sir
ffolliott Williams Erskine bart. J.P. is in
the south portion of the parish. George A.
Russell estj. of Kenly Green; Cbarleton J.
B. Mpnypeany esq. Pitmilly ; Rev. Henry
A. G.' Sheppard M.A. of Rednock House,
Stirling; James Cheape esq. of Stratktz-
rum; Andrew B. Bell esq. of Kiduncan;
Sir ft W. Erskine bart. and F.dmond de
Haya Paterson-Balfour Hay esq. of Mug-
drum House, Newburgh, are the principal
landowners. The area comprises 3,870
acres; rateable value, £7,144; the popula-
tion in 1891 was 753, and in 1901, 652 civil
and 665 tcclesiastical parishes, and 304 in
the village
Post, M. 0., T., T. M. 0., E. I). & P. P.,
S. B. & A. & I. 0. ; James Lothian, sub-
postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Let-
ters should have E.S.O. Fifeshire added),
Deliveries, 9.40 a.m. & 3.20 p.m. ; dis-
patches, S.35 a.m. & 2.10 p.m
Inspector of Poor & Collector, David Scott
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
Roderick M'Kenzie
Police Station, William Crichton, constable
Established Church, Eev. Alex. Todd M.A
School Board. John Guthrie, clerk
Public School, Roderick McKemie, master
Railway Station, Kingsbarns, John Wilson,
station master
Marked thus * letters should be addressed
Boarhills R.S.O.
*Cheetham George, Kenlv green
Erskine Sir fMliotfc Williams barfc. J.P.
Cambo house
*Mackinnon Duncan, Pitmillv house
Todd Eev. Alexander M.A. (Established)
Beat David, boot & shoe maker
Brown James, carter
Brown James, blacksmith
Brown John, boot & shoe maker
Durran Jas. spirit dlr. & public house kpr
^Gordon Alexander, blacksmith
Kay David, general draper & grocer
Kay Jessie (Mrs.), dress maker
Kay Robert, builder & mason
Leask George, Cambo inn
Lothian James, boot & shoe maker
M'Kenzie Roderick, registrar of births,
deaths & marriages, & schoolmaster
Morrison Roderick, blacksmith
Nicoll James, land steward to Jas. Cheape
esq. Kippo & Hillarye
Scott David, inspector '& collector
Scott Robert, joiner & contractor
Spence William, engineer
Swan Robert, surveyor
White Betsy, grocer &. beer retailer
Andrews William, North quarter
Clark James, Curhurlie
Duncan John, Kilduncan
Kay Andrew, East Newhall
Rogers William, South quarter
S'.-ott Mrs. Elizabeth, Pitmilly & Hillhead
Turnbull James, Boghall
Wilson William, Morton
KING-SEAT, see Du.nfermlixe.
KIRKCALDY is a royal, parliamentary and
police burgh, a seaport and parish, in the
Kirkcaldy and Dysart poor combination and
â– of a small debt court district; it has a
station on the Edinburgh, Thornton and
Ladybank section of the North British rail-
way, 12 miles east of Dunfermline. The
parish of Kirkcaldy is 3 miles in extent
from north to south, by one mile wide,
and is bounded north and east by Dysart,
south and west by Kinghorn, and north-
west by Auchlerderran ; the parish extends
along "the northern shores of the Firth of
Forth, at the base of a range of rising
:ground for upwards of 3 miles. By an Act
of Parliament the suburbs of Abbotshall,
Pathhead, Gallatown and Sinclairtown are
comprised within the boundaries of the
burgh, as are also the quoad sacra parishes
of St. James, Invertiel, Raith and Path-
head. On the 3rd of December, 1901, the
parishes of Kirkcaldy, Dysart, Abbotshall,
and a part of that of Kinghorn were amal-
gamated and are now under the Kirkcaldy
and Dysart Parish Council. The civic
government of the town, which was made
a royal burgli by Charles I. is vested in a
town council consisting of 2S members, of
whom one is provost and admiral of the
burgh and harbour, four bailies, one dean of
guild, and one treasurer. The council are
also commissioners of police under the Gen-
eral Police Act, and local authority under
the Health Act. The management of the
harbour is vested in a board of enmmission-
•ers, fourteen in number, consisting of the
provost and bailies and others. The burgh,
together with Kinghorn, Dysart and
Burntfisland, forms the Kirkcaldy parlia-
mentary district, constituted in 1708, and
returning one member. The sheriff holds
a court every Wednesday for the disposal
of ordinary debts recovery, and small debt
cases. The justices of the peace sit h^re
for trial of offences within the Kirkcaldy
•district of county, and here hold licensing
courts ; this is also the meeting place for
the County Council of the district. When
Charles I. erected Kirkcaldy into a royal
fourgh, it had, according to tradition, 100
ships belonging to it, and ranked as the
sixth place of maritime importance in
Scotland ; but in 1673 the number of vessels
Sn its possession had decreased consider-
ably. On the return of peace in 1763, the
trade of the port revived, and the number of
shipping consequently increased and pro-
gressively augmented, so that in 1792 it
boasted 26 vessels; from this period Kirk-
caldy has gradually risen into repute, both
as a port and a manufacturing town. The
principal imporations are cork, linseed oil,
whiting, potters' clay, grain &c. ; the ex-
ports are floor cloth, linoleum, linen, yarn,
machinery and coal. The number of
vessels belonging to the port has for
some years been on the decline. Ves-
sels from this port were employed in the
Davis Straits whale fishery for many yearB,
but this trade is now discontinued. A
branch from the main line of raUway tra-
verses the entire length of the harbour — a
great convenience to operations of loading
and unloading vessels. The harbour is dry
at low water, but at full tide is capable of
admitting vessels of large burden. The
number of vessels that entered the port
in 1902, from and to foreign countries and
British possessions, with cargoes and in
ballast was: British, 240 of 186,931 tons;
foreitm, 1,343 of 723,750 tons. Cleared:
530 British, 332,039 tons; foreign. 2,182,
1,063,593 tonnage. In the coasting trade,
1,715 vessels entered of 646,575 tonnage,
and 713 cleared of 181,530 tons; in inter-
course with Great Britain and Ireland, 14
only entered, of 1,673 tons. In 1901,
196,284 tons of coal were shipped from this
port. In 1902, 23 vessels, aggregating
1,096 tons, were registered in this port,
27 vessels, equal 1,577 tons, were built ;
the number of fishing boats registered at
the port was '512, aggregating 9,203 tons,
and employing 2,607 men and boys, and
521 hands. Fishing boats and their im-
plements are to be distinguished by the
letters K. Y. The custom house, having
control over a considerable line of coast, ex-
tending from Aberdour to Anstruther, has
been removed to Burntisland. There is,
however, an office here. The prominent
trade of Kirkcaldy and neighbourhood beara
an intimate affinity with that of Dundee,
consisting of the spinning of flax, tow, jute,
and the weaving of linen goods for home and
foreign consumption ; striped hollands, dow-
las, ticks, checks, sailcloths &c. are amongst
the fabrics produced, and in the manufac-
ture of which there are several extensive
power -loom factories in full operation; there
are also several bleaching fields and dye
works, and also china and earthenware fac-
tories, where a euperior class of goods is
made. Kirkcaldy is now the centre of the
floor cloth and linoleum manufacture of the
kingdom. The other branches include brass
and iron founding, machine and steel pipe
making, and a considerable corn, malt and
meal trade. The town, owing to its dis-
proportionate length, has from an early
period been styled " the lang toon o' Kirk-
caldy/' but it now comprises many well-
built cross streets and detached dwellings.
Electric tramways and lighting are pro-
vided by the Corporation, who have a
large power station in Victoria road; the
principal streets were lighted with arc
lamps and private consumers supplied in
December, 1902 ; other streets being
lighted with gas ; an overhead system of
tramways was opened for traffic in Feb.
1903; the amount expended for lighting, to
May, 1903, was £40,811, and for the
tramways, £35,066. The streets are paved.
The Town Hail, erected in 1829, contains
a hall for burgh and district meetings, and
record room, an office for the town clerk,
and other apartments. The Sheriff Court
Buildings, in Whyte's Causeway, were
opened "May, 1S94, at a cost of £6,000.
Here the sheriff holds a court every Wed-
nesday. The distric* committee meetings
of the County Council are also held here,
and the Justice of Peace Courts. There
are two good hotels, the " George," in High
street, and the " Station " near the rail-
way station. Adam Smith, author of " The
Wealth of Nations," was born here 5 June,
1723. The Adam Smith Public Hall in St.
Brycedale avenue, also contains the Beve-
ridge Hall and Library, built with money
left for 'this purpose by the late Michael
Beveridge esq. of Beechwood, and provost
of Kirkcaldy. Provost Beveridge also
gifted to the inhabitants a fine public park,
some 100 acres in extent, -with an artificial
lake in the centre, which in winter is
used as a skating pond. The Burgh Police
Buildings, erected in 1902-3, at a cost of
£20,000, are of Grange stone in the Renais-
sance style, from designs by Mr. William
Williamson, and contains a police court
and offices for the burgh police. The Corn
Exchange, in Cowan street, the first stone
of which was laid with masonic honours in
May, 1859, is now used only for publio
meetings, concerts &c. A theatre is now
(1903) "being erected in High street. The
Combination Poorhouses, one of which,
situated on the lands of Abden, in the
parish of Kinghorn and commanding an
extensive view of the Firth of Forth, were
erected in 1S49, at a cost of over £5,000,
and opened May, 1S50; the buildings are
available for 130 inmates and are the joint
property of the parishes of Kirkcaldy and

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence