‹‹‹ prev (695)

(697) next ›››

Thomson Peter & Son, drapers, tailors &
clothiers, baby linen & berlin wool dlra.
& insurance agents
Thomson Thomas, chemist, James' street;
& at Anstruther
Watson Robert & Co. rope makers, ship
chandlers, tarpaulin, waterproof oil
clothing & horse clothing & fishing tackle
manufacturers; & at Anstruther
Watson Henry, solicitor
Williamson Rt. slater & plasterer.Tolbooth st
KINCAPLE, see St. Andrews.
KINCARDINE (or Kincardine - on
Forth) is a town in the parish of Tulliallan,
which was transferred to this county by a
Local Government Order in December, 1890,
having up to that time been included in
Perthshire. The town is a seaport and a
burgh of barony, 15 miles west from North
Queensferry and 5 south-east from Alloa,
and has a station on the North British
railway. It is situated on the norLh bank
of the Firth of Forth. At one time this
place was called " West Pans," from the
salt works established in it, but these have
long ceased to exist. The town, although
irregularly built and the streets narrow,
contains some good houses. A branch of
the Union Bank of Scotland Limited is
established here, and there are rope and
twine and worsted and woollen factories.
The population in 1891 was 2,007, and in
1901, 1,710.
Post, T. & M. O. 0. & S. B. Kincardine;
Miss Ann Baxter, postmistress. Letters
should be addressed Kincardine-on-Forth
S.O. Deliveries, 8.15 & 10.15 a.m. & 6.30
p.m. ; dispatches, 7.5 & 11.45 a.m. & 2.10
& 5.30 p.m
Cemetery, John Miller, clerk
Constabulary Station, Kilbagie st. ; Eobert
Cameron, constable in charge
Masonic Hall, Elphinstone street, John
Miller, sec
New Hall, Mercer st. Eobert Duncan, sec
Public Reading Boom, Silver street,Andrew
Bankine, keeper
Stamp Office, Mrs. Ann Baxter, distributor
Tulliallen Established Church, Bev. John
McLaren M.A
Tulliallen United Free Church, Bev. David
Kincardine United Free Church, Bev. Robt.
Munro B.D
Board School, John Weir M.A. master;
Miss Maggie Lamb, infants' mistress
On the Alloa & Kincardine section of the
North British railway.
Station, Kincardine, James Grant, station
On the Stirling & Dunfermline section
branch line & terminus from Alloa.
Station, Forest Mill, 3i miles from Kincar-
dine, Robert Gillespie, station master
To Culross, omnibuses to & from Kincar-
dine station (to meet all the trains)
To & from Leith & Stirling, steamers
pass Kincardine daily during the summer
months, & a boat from Kincardine
crosses the ferry, which is close to the sta-
tion, at frequent intervals
Anderson Miss, Mid Park house
Borthwick Mrs. Rosebank
Burns John, High street
Dalziel Miss, The Park
Gentle Miss, Keith street
Gibb Mrs. John, Riversdale
Gibb Mrs. High street
Graham Alexander, Burn bank
Hay William, Burnbrae
Johnston Lawrence, Sands house
Johnston William, Oakbank
Love John M.B. Holly bank
M'Laren Rev. John (Established Church,
Inch house
McLaren Miss, George street
Morton William, Bank house
Munro Rev. Robert B.D., U. F. C. manse
Norrie Mrs. Toll road
Patrick James, Morton
Patrick Mrs. James, Holmlea
Philp John, Kilbagie street
Robson John H. Hough
Ross Alfred James, Pier street
Russell John, High street
Sharp Mrs. High street
Smith Rev. David, United Free Church
Spittal John, Shore
Stephen Miss, Kirk street
Turcan Mrs. Hough house
Wilson John, Park house
Wright Miss, Helens bank
Wright Mrs. Shore
Wylie Miss, Gowan bank
Allan John, nurseryman, Kilbagie street
Alloa Co-operative Society Limited
Baxter Ann (Miss), stationer & postmis-
tress, Elphinstone street
Beveridge Adam, butcher, see Hamilton &
Blair Alexander, spirit dealer & public house
keeper (Railway tavern), Shore
Bowie Andrew & Son, painters & paper-
hangers, Pier street & Kilbagie street
Bruce Allan, boot & shoe maker, Pier street
Buchanan William, coach & omnibus pro-
prietor, Chapel hill
Carr Alexander, carter, Mercer street
Cemetery (John Miller, clerk)
Chalmers John, baker, Elphinstone street
Chalmers John, jun. draper, Elphinstone st
Clark & Ross, solicitors
Clark John (firm, Clark & Boss), solicitor
& collctr. to the Tulliallan Parish Council
Co-operative Soc. Lim.High st. ; & at Alloa
Cumming David, tailor, Kirk street
Drysdale James, news agent, High street
Dunlop James, general dealer, Pier street
Findlay Alexander, grocer, spirit dealer &
wine merchant, High street
Finlayson Jn. & Thos. butchers, Pier st
Finlayson Catherine (Mrs.), draper & mil-
liner, Elphinstone street
Gas Works (John Clark, sec), Kilbagie st
Gibb James Paton, tailor & clothier, High st
Gibb John, spirit dealer & public house
keeper, Keith street
Gibb Walter, stationer
Hamilton & Beveridge, butchers, Excise st
Hutchison Mary (Miss), confectioner, El-
phinstone street
Jeffrey Martha (Mrs.), grocer, Kilbagie st
Jenkins John, builder, joiner &
undertaker, Pier street
Johnstone Thomas, egg merchant, Toll rd
Kellock James B. grocer & baker, Elphin-
stone street
Kincardine Union Eoperie Co. Lim. (The),
rope & twine manufacturers; T A
" Roperie, Kincardine "
King William, joiner. Chapel street
Kinloch Henry, blacksmith, Kilbagie street
Leisk William, master mariner, Keith st
Liberal Association
Love John M.B., CM. surgeon & medical
officer to the Tulliallan parish council,
Holly bank
Mclsaac Margaret (Mrs.), general dealer,
Elphinstone street
McJannet Ebenezer, confectioner, Excise st
Millar John, tailor, Kirk street
Milne Peter, spirit dealer, Shore
Mills John, preserve manufactr. Silver 6t
Mitchell James, Commercial hotel & job-
master, High street
Monteith Janet & Annie (Misses), laundry,
Mercer street
Murray George, naturalist, Kincardine ho
Murray Robert, pilot
Mustard William, blacksmith, Excise street
Ness Robert, photographer, Excise street
New Hall (Robert Duncan, sec), Mercer st
Paterson Duncan, spirit dealer & public
house keeper (Bridge inn), Newtown
Paton John M. & Co. worsted & woollen
Patrick James, chemist, Elphinstone street
Peddie James, boot & shoe maker. Kirk st
Philp John, grocer & genl. dlr. Excise st
Philp Wm. boot & shoe maker, Keith st
Pringle William, draper, tailor & clothier,
Kirk street
Public Reading Boom (Andrew Rankine,
keeper), Silver street
Quinn Martha (Mrs.), news agt. Pier st
Rankine Hy. slater & plasterer, Mercer st
Ross Alfd. Jas. solr. (firm, Clark & Ross)
Scotland John, tailor, Chapel street
Scott Wm. boot & shoe ma. Elphinstone st
Short Thomas, spirit dealer & public house
keeper (Old Anchor), Keith street
Short William, slater & plasterer, Keith st
Simpson George, registrar of births, deaths
& marriages, High street
Simpson John, clerk, Regent street
Steven Alexander, coach & omnibus pro-
prietor & boot & shoe maker. High street
Stocks Jn.S.grcr. & genl. dlr.Elphinstone st
Swinton Alexander, Unicorn hotel.Excise st
Thomson Bernard, coal & gravel merchant
& stevedore, Elphinstone street
Thomson Janet (Mrs.),greengrocer,Keith st
Union Bank of Scotland Limited (branch)
(William Morton, agent; John Hood,
accountant), High street; draw on
London office, 62 Cornhill E C & Bank of
England E C, London
Wilson Ann (Mrs.). grocer & general dealer,
Elphinstone street
Wright Catherine (Mrs.), milliner. High st
Young David, carter, Kilbagie street
KING-HORN is a seaport and a royal
police burgh and contributory parliamen-
tary burgh, also a parish, 3 miles south
from Kirkcaldy and 2J east-by-north from
Burntisland, and has a station on the Edin-
burgh, Thornton and Dundee section of
the North British railway. The parish
extends i\ miles from north to south by
about 4 wide ; it is in the poor combina-
tion of Kirkcaldy and Dysart and small debt
court district of Kirkcaldy, and is bounded
south by Burntisland, west by Aberdour and
Auchtertool, and north by Abbotshall and
part o-f Kirkcaldy. Kinghorn was invested
with the privileges of a royal burgh bv
King David I., and about that time was
said to have been a royal residence. It is.
governed by a provost, two bailies, a trea-
surer, and six councillors-. The burgh, iu
conjunction with those of Dysart, Kirkcaldv
and Burntisland, forms the Kirkcaldy par-
liamentary district, constituted tin 1708, and
returning one member. There are two prin-
cipal streets in the town, one running from
east to west, and the other from south to
north. The harbour has fallen to decay,
and the nearest now is about half a mile
distant, at Petty-Cur, which for many
years was the ferry place for Edinburgh,
now transferred to Burntisland. There is
a church of the Establishment, and two-
United Free churches. The ancient Esta-
blished church, which has occupied the site
from time immemorial, has undergone re-
storation at an expense of £3,000. The
Town House is a good building, and there
is a public library and museum at the
school, and a branch of the British Linen
Company's Bank. In 1887 the municipal
authorities purchased Links Park, adjoin-
ing the town, for public and recreation
grounds, at a cost of £1,050, with £300
additional in laying out the golf course,
bowling green and tennis court. A golf
club house was erected in 1894, facing the
links. About a mile to the eastward of
Kinghorn is the Kirkcaldy Combination
Poorhouse for the parishes of Kirkcaldy,
Abbotshall, Burntisland and Kinghorn; ifr
occupies a commanding situation near the
coast. (Further particulars will be found in
the account of Kirkcaldy.) About 1 mile
from Kinghorn, on the Burntisland road, is-
a monument in the form of a Celtic cross, to
commemorate the death of Alexander TTT
who was killed by falling from his horse
in 1286. This monument was raised by
public subscription, among the subscribers
being H M. the Queen. The inscription
reads, " To the Illustrious Alexander III., â– 
the last of Scotland's Celtic Kings, who
was accidentally killed near this spot,
March 19th, MCCLXXXVI. Erected on
the Sex-centenary of his death."
There is a strong battery at Inchkeith,
which island forms part of the parish of.
Kinghorn, distant about three miles from
Petty-Cur. It also has a large harbour,
erected by government at a considerable
cost, and a lighthouse with a revolving
light on the highest point of land standing
235 feet above the sea level. Certain
writers say Inchkeith was so called from
an old noble family named Keith, while
others connect it with Guidi. Here, they-
supposed. was raised the town or fortress of
Guida, described by Bede. more than 1,100
years ago, as situated in the middle of the
great arm of the sea which runs into Britain
from the east. About the year 700 a
church or monastery, founded by St. Adam-
nan, successor to St. Columba in the ab-
bacy of Iona, was erected on the island.
Inchkeith was seized by the English in
1547, and a fort built on it, but during the
regency of Mary, queen of James V. it
was captured by the French.
The area of the parish comprises 5.401
acres ; rateable value of landward,£10.000 ;
and in 1891 had a population of 3,837;
and in 1901, 3,400, of whom 1,177 in 1901-
were in the parliamentary and police
burghs, and 365 beyond burgh, and 1,089 in
Kirkcaldy burgh. "Population of the eccle-
siastical parish in 1901, 2,262. Included in
the population was 3 officials and 81 in-
mates in Kirkcaldy Combination poorhouse;
The area of the burgh is 325 acres ; rate-
able value, which includes part of Kirk-
caldy, is £7,493.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence