‹‹‹ prev (1503)

(1505) next ›››

Queen's Park.
(Incorporated by Act of Parliament.)
Governors elected by public bodies — The Lord
Provost, the members of Parliament for the city, for
the Govan division of Lanarkshire, and for the eastern
division of Renfrewshire, Bailie Stevenson, Bailie
Graham, Professor Gairdner, William Crum, A. L.
Kelly, M.D., Robert Pollok, M.B., CM., Thomas
Mason, Andrew M'Cracken, John Fleming, Edward
M'Millan, M.D., Provost Mitchell, Provost Leckie,
William Gray. Governors elected by workmen's
representatives — Wm. Adam, Wm. Bowness, Robt.
Mason, W. S. Cameron. Governors elected by court
of contributors — Sir Renny Watson, Wm. Lorimer,
John Laing, W. B. Crawford, Robert Harvey, Wm.
Scott, M.D., Thomas Jenkins, John Paterson, T. R.
J Logan, James Cuthbert, Sir William Arrol, William
Costigane. Sir Renny Watson, chairman ; J. Laing,
hon. secy. ; W. B. Crawford, hon. treasurer. Medical
staff — physicians, Eben. Duncan, M.D., CM., Alex.
Napier, M.D. ; surgeons, A. E. Maylard, M.B., B.S.,
R. H. Parry; pathologist, D. K. Munro ; W. T.
Nicholson, M.B., CM., superintendent and resident
medical officer; John Brownlie, Murray Young, W. E.
Macharg, assistant resident surgeons ; Miss Macfar-
lane, matron; Francis Bisset, secretary and treasurer;
Office, 22 Carlton Place, S.S.
Dispensary — physicians, Jas. Hamilton, M.B., CM.,
Wm. M'JIillan, M.B., CM.; surgeons, J. Grant
Andrew, M.B., CM., Robert Kennedy, M.B., CM. ;
Dental surgeon, Jas. M. M'Cash, L.D.S. ; diseases of
women, T. W. Jenkins, M.A., M.D. ; diseases of ear,
nose, and throat, A. Brown Kelly, B.Sc, M.B., CM.
Hours for admission of patients — In-door patients
with lines from 1 to 2 o'clock daily (Sundays ex-
cepted) ; accident and urgent cases admitted at any
Friends admitted by card to see patients on Tues-
days and Fridays from 11.30 to 12.30 o'clock, and
on Sunday forenoons from 11 to 12 o'clock.
The section of the Infirmary now open provides
accommodation for 150 patients. The institution
being entirely dependent on voluntary contributions,
the governors will be glad to receive subscriptions
on behalf of either the building or maintenance
funds, intimation of which may be made to any of
the office-bearers.
Tradeston Dispensary, 10 St. James' St., Kinning
Park :— Medical staff— physicians, A. S. Tindal,
M.B., CM., Thomas Forrest, M.B., CM. ; surgeons,
J. G. Wilson, M.B., CM., Douglas Russell, M.B.,
CM.; diseases of eye, George Hunter; diseases of
the skin, David Couper, M.D., CM. ; diseases of the
ear, nose, and throat, A. B. Kelly, B.Sc, M.B., CM. ;
diseases of women, Wm. Watson, M.B., CM. ; dis-
pensary keeper, Mrs. Thomson.
St. Andi-ews Hall, Kent Road (east door).
This institute was opened in June, 1888, for the
purpose of home visitation on the sick poor by senior
medical students of the University under the direct
superintendence of certain professors and assistants.
Names and addresses of patients received between
11a.m. and 1 p.m.
29 Elmbank Crescent.
Chairman, Robert Gourlay, manager. Bank of
Scotland ; vice-chairman, J. 0. Lietke, merchant, 109
Hope Street ; senior physician, Robert Bell, M.D.,
29 Lynedoch Street ; hon. secretary and treasurer,
Robert Gom-lay, 4 Granby Terrace, Hillhead.
This Hospital was founded in 1877 by Dr. Robert
Bell, F.F.P.S.G., for the medical and surgical treat-
ment of diseases of women ; for the advancement
of science in the treatment of these diseases ; and
for the more efficient instruction of students in this
branch of the medical profession.
The affairs of the Institution are managed by
fourteen directors (eight of whom are ladies), who
elect a staff of physicians, a ladies' visiting committee,
and a secretary and treasurer, to carry out the work
in detail, aU of whose offices are honorary.
The Hospital is entirely maintained by voluntary
contributions. Its operations are restricted to poor
but respectable females, who receive gratuitous
advice, treatment, and medical appliances. It wel-
comes every sufferer, in-espective of creed, no certifi-
cate being required for admission, which is granted
merely in the order of priority of application.
Patients are admitted on Mondays, Tuesdays,
Thursdays, and Fridays, from 3 till 4 o'clock after-
Patients are permitted to receive visitors on Satur-
day afternoon from 4 till 6 o'clock.
DISEASES.— 8 Elmbank Street.
His Grace the Duke of Argyll, K.T., patron ; The
Right Hon. Lord Overtoun, president ; Jas. A. Camp-
bell of Stracathro, M.P., vice-president ; C. R. Dunlop,
Very Rev. Principal Caird, D.D. , Kev. Professor
Charteris, D.D., Wm. Jamieson, Sir James King,
Bart., ex-Lord Provost, William Ker, Robert Gourlay,
Geo. M'Call, Peter Denny, LL.D., Sir Chas. Tennant,
Bart., Sir John Stirling Maxwell, Bart., extraordinary
directors ; James Grahame (chairman), Charles M.
King, Hickson Fergusson, J. Pirrie, Hugh B. Crum,
Robert Maconechy, Brigadier General Sir Donald
Matheson, K.C.B., D. M. Crerar-Gilbert, and the
physician, treasurer, and secretary for the time being,
ordinary directors; Prof. M'Call Anderson, 2 Wood-
side Terrace, physician; W. R. Jack, M.D., 43
Lansdowne Crescent, assistant physician ; Archibald
Craig, LL.B.,166 St. Vincent Street, hon. secretary;
A. S. M'Clelland, 115 St. Vincent St., hon. treasurer.
Gratuitous advice to the poor afflicted with diseases
of the skin and hair, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and
Fridays, at 2 o'clock p.m. In connection with the
Hospital two wards for skin diseases are provided in
the Western Infirmary, to which the directors have power
to send the more serious cases. 42,000 patients
have been treated since the foundation of the Hospital.
A practical course for students is held during the
months of May, June, and July, each year ; fee, Two
guineas. The Hospital is entirely supported by volun-
tary contributions.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence