‹‹‹ prev (1475)

(1477) next ›››

length from east to west, by G in breadth,
and has a station on the Highland railway,
close to the Northern boundary, across the
Fleet, and 6 miles from Dornoch city. Dor-
r.och was constituted a royal burgh by
Charles I. in 1628, and is governed by a
provost, two bailies, a dean of guild and. a
treasurer, with four councillors. In con-
junction with Wick, Kirkwall, Dingwall,
Cromarty and Tain, it forms the Wick
parliamentary district, returning one mem-
ber. The trade of the town is very limited,
owing chiefly to its locality at an angle of
the county and the free navigation of the
firth being obstructed by the bar of danger-
ous sand banks extending between Dornoch
and Tain. Some compensation has been
found of late years, in the increased number
of summer visitors for golf and sea bathing.
The water supply and drainage are both
good, and several new villas have been
erected. The cathedral, now serving only
as the parish church, was originally the
head of the diocese of Caithness, founded,
it is said, by King David I. (1124-53), but
at present, for the purposes of the Epis-
coal Church in Scotland, is united to
those of Moray and Eoss, with a cathedral
church at Inverness. The cathedral
of Dornoch was first erected by Gil-
bert de Moray, bishop of Caithness
(1223-60), and is in the Early English
and Early Geometric styles, consisting of
choir, aisleless nave, transepts and a low
central tower with stunted spire : the
church, with the exception of the tower,
was almost entirely destroyed by fire in
1570, during an incursion of hostile tribes,
and on 5 November, 1605, one of the arcades
was blown down by a violent gale: John.
12th Earl of Sutherland, in 1614 began the
repair of the fabric, which was subse-
quently completed in a plain style. In
1836-7, the Duchess and Countess of Suther-
land (d. 1839) restored the church to its
original dimensions and added the groined
roof; at the east end is a memorial with
marble effigy by Chantrey, to George, 2nd
Marquess and 1st Duke of Sutherland K.G.,
P.C. d. 19 July, 1833. A small part of the
bishop's palace still remains, but all the
manses of the other dignitaries of the
cathedral have disappeared, and the town
has lost much of its ecclesiastical impor-
tance since the triumph of the Reforma-
tion. Within half a mile from the village
of Clashmore is Skibo Castle, the seat of
Andrew Carnegie esq. : this castle, at one
time a residence and grange of the Bishops
of Sutherland and Caithness, was for a long
time a fortress, and the celebrated Marquess
of Montrose, in the year 1650, spent two
nights as a prisoner in the castle, after his
defeat by the Presbyterian army near Bonar
Bridge, and his subsequent capture by Neil
Macleod, of Assynt, who delivered him up
to his enemies : subsequently the castle was
dismantled and allowed to go to ruin, until
early in this century, when it was de-
molished and the present castle erected on
its site. Large additions were made to the
castle in 1899. An extensive fair is held
on the first Monday of May, at Clashmore.
Dornoch, the nearest railway Etation, is 34_
miles distant.
Embo, a fishing village and life boat
station in this parish, is 2 miles north-east
from Dornoch. Here is a new harbour for
fishermen, constructed to a great extent by
government aid. Population in 1901, 546.
A public fair or market is held annually
in the town, on the first Tuesday in
November. The Duke of Sutherland K.G.
and Andrew Carnegie esq. of Skibo are
the principal landowners. The area of the
parish comprises 32,988 acres; burgh,. 1,297
acres ; rateable value of the landward,
£6,706 13s. Id. and of the burgh, £2,945
6s. 6d. ; in 1891 the population of the parish
was 2,404, and in 1901, 2,794, which in-
cluded 624 in the royal burgh. The popu-
lation of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901
was 2,850.
The number of electors on the parlia-
mentary register, in 1898, was 87.
Clashmore is a modern village, about 5
miles west from Dornoch, and on the
estate of Skibo, now the property of
Andrew Carnegie esq.
Post, T., M. O., T. M. O., E. D., P. P.,
S. B. & A. & I. O. Dornoch (Railway
Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O.
Sutherlandshire added) ; Mrs. Williamina
Campbell, postmistress. Deliveries, 7 &
10.20 a.m. & 2.10 p.m. ; dispatches, 6.5
& 10.55 a.m. & 4.55 p.m
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., P. P.,
S. B. & A. & I. 0. Clashmore; Miss
Catherine Macintosh, postmistress. Let-
ters through Dornoch B.S.O. Letters are
delivered at 3 p.m. ; dispatch, 9.50 a.m.
& 1.30 p.m
Pest Office, Embo; John Skinner, sub-post-
master. Letters through Dornoch B.S.O.
Delivery, 3.40 p.m. ; dispatch, 4 p.m.
The nearest money order & telegraph
office is at Dornoch, 4 miles distant
Post Office, Skelbo ; James Farquhar, sub-
postmaster. Letters through Dornoch
R.S.O. Sutherlandshire, & from down
night mail at 1-10 p.m. Deliveries at 1.15
p.m.; dispatch at 6.15 a.m. Nearest
money order & telegraph office, Dornoch,
4J miles distant
Arthur Bignold esq. J.P. Lochrosque
castle. Achnasheen, Ross-shire ; 2 Curzon
street, Mayfair W & Carlton & Junior
Carlton clubs S W & Constitutional club
W C London
Provost, William Sutherland
Bailies, George Macintosh & James
Machachlan M.D
Dean of Guild, Peter Murray
Treasurer, George R. Kennedy
Councillors, William S. Fraser, Robert
Johnstone, Alex. F. Chennan & Robert
Town Clerk, Hector Munro Mackay, High st
Collector of Assessments & Burgh Prose-
utor, John Sutherland
Burgh Assessor, Alexander Innes
Town Crier, Donald M'Kay
Medical Officer of Health,
Sanitary Inspector, Fred Nicolson
Burgh Officer, Duncan MacGregor
All the parishes in the county are in this
small debt court district.
Court House, County buildings.
Sheriff, Charles J. Guthrie, Edinburgh
Sheriff-Substitute, Thomas Mackenzie
Hon. Sheriff Substitutes, T. Barclay, Chas
H. Urquhart & James John Hills
Procurator Fiscal, David Peters
Depute Fiscal, John Sutherland
Commissary & Sheriff Clerk, John
Maccrone, County buildings
Sheriff Clerk Depute, William John Forster
Sheriff Officer, John Stewart, Golspie .
Bar Officer, Fred Nicolson
Chairman, William Macleay
Clerk, John Sutherland, Castle street
Medical Officer, Jas. Maclachlan M.B..C.M
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages &
Inspector of Poor, John Sutherland
Castle street
Stamp Office, Mrs. Williamina Campbell
sub-collector of taxes
County Police Establishment (head-quarters
for the county), Dornoch, Malcolm M'Don
aid, chief constable; George Bridgeford,
inspector & deputy chief constable
1st Sutherland (Sutherland Highland)
Rifles (B Co.), Capt. Hector M. Mackay;
Roderick Robertson, sergeant-instructor
Established Church,Rev. Donald Grant M.A
United Free Church, Rev. Jas. Macdonald
Chairman, Rev. Donald Grant M.A
Clerk, John Mackintosh
Board Schools : —
Dornoch Academy, James M. Moore M.A.
master; Miss Jessie Lees, mistress; Miss
Georgina Leslie McAUan & Miss A. S.
Moore, infants' mistresses
Balvraid, John Macmakan, master
Embo, John Moyes, master
Rhearquhar, Miss Mary Matheson.mistrss
Railway Station, Duncan, Maclennan
Arthur John, Bank house
Barclay Thomas J.P. Skelbo castle
Bell George, Bellevue
Barrow John J. The Castle
Bruce-Hamilton Mrs
Carnegie Andrew LL.D. Skibo castle
Gillespie Mrs. Rosslyn villa
Gordon Miss, Jackson villa
Grant Rev. Donald M.A. (Established
Church), The Manse
Hacon William Llewellyn, Oversteps
House Harry H. Tigh-na-mara
Kennedy Rev. R. G. Links house
M'Donald Rev. James B.D. U. F. C.Manse
Macintosh John J.P. Proncy
Mackay Hector Munro, High street
McKay Robert, Clashmore road
Maclachlan James M.B., CM. High streak
McQueen David, Strath-naver villa,
Matheson Mrs. Castle street
Morrison Mrs. Firth view
Munro Mrs. Elm bank
Peters David, The Hill
Preacher Mrs. Castle street
Ross George M. Torboll
Kyle Arthur J. Sunnyside
Sutherland John, Golf view
Sutherland Wm. J.P. (provost), Fynbar ho«
Taylor Miss
Taylor Mrs. The Deanery
Urquhart Charles H. Bank house
Arthur John, solicitor
Baillie George," draper
Bell John, saddler, boot & shoe dealer
& cycle agent & dealer, Castle street
Bell John (Mrs.), draper
Biidgeford George, deputy chief constable
& police inspector
Caledonian Banking Co. Limited (branch)
(Charles H. Urquhart, agent); draw oni
Bank of England, London E C
Campbell Duncan, Temperance hotel
& furnished apartments, High street
umming Donald, blacksmith, Whiteface
Currle Thomas D. golf club & baft
Ewing Robert, photographer, Church st
Forbes Robert, fruiterer & greengrocer
Forbes Simon, carpe?iter, High street
Fraser Robert, smith, Skelbo muir
Fraser William, Sutherland Arms hotel &
posting house ; adjoining the celebrated!
golf links of 18 holes, & one of 12 holes
for ladies : first-class hotel for families
& commercials ; special terms for
golfers; posting in all its branches
Fraser Wm. S. draper, High st
Gillespie Charles M. bookseller, stationer &.
news agent, Castle street
Golf Club (John Sutherland, sec)
Grant Alexander, butcher
Grant Janet (Miss), dress maker, Bridge st
Grant Jessie (Miss), dress maker, Dog st
Grant John, butcher, St. Gilbert street
Grant Robt. stone & mable mason, Castle sfc
Grant Robert, grocer, Proncy
Gray Donald, carpenter
Hardie James F. factor for Andrew Car-
negie esq. Skilbo
Innes Andrew, painter, Wallace street
Johnstone Robert, chemist, druggist &.
tobacconist, High street
Logan William, blacksmith, Balvraid
M'Donald Malcolm, chief constable
MacGregor Duncan, burgh officer
Mackint-osh John, clerk to the school board
Mackay & Munro, carpenters
McKay Angus, blacksmith. The Meadows
Mackay Donald, town crier, River street
Mackay Hector Munro, solicitor & town
clerk & county assessor of Sutherland,
High street
Mackay Hugh, blacksmith, Dog street
Mackay Robert, carrier, St. Gilbert street
Mackay Wm. blacksmith, Gilchrist square
Mackay William, miller, Skelbo
MacLachlan James M.B., CM. surgeon, &
medical officer & public vaccinator for
Macleod Donald F. watch maker
MacLellan Alexander F. gro-
cer, wine & spirit merchant.,
High street
Maclennan Duncan, station master
Macrae Roderick, plumber
Moore William H. tailor. Castle street-
Moore Alexander, butcher
Moore Alexander, dairy
Munro Alexander, tailor, Littletown
Munro Alexander, tinsmith
Munro Andrew, timber mer. Balbraid
Munro George, tailor, St. Gilbert street
Munro James, stone & marble mason, Ar-
gyle street
Munro John, stone mason
Munro Wm. stone mason, Sutherland roadi
Murray &. Munro, stone masons
Murray John, grocer
Murray Neil, grocer & baker, Deans lane
Murray Robert, stone mason, Canmore
Neill Robert L. grocer, wine &
spirit merchant, High street
Nicolson Frederick, sanitary inspector
Peters David, procurator fiscal of Suther-
land in the sheriff & justice of peace
courts & clerk to Golspie school board

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence