‹‹‹ prev (1186)

(1188) next ›››

Dunk"!d & Birnam Cricket Club (John D.
McLaren, sec)
Dunkeld Public Library & Bending Room
(William Cuthbert & Donald Murray,
sees.), High street
Fehrenbach GristinW. watch maker.Atholl st
Fisher John, Royal hotel (family & post-
ing), Atholl street
Foresters Ancient Order of, Court, Hope
of Dunkeld (William Cuthbert, sec)
Freemasons' Lodge (St. John's, No. 14)
(Marquis of Tullibardine R.W.M.; Sergt.-
Major John King, sec)
Freemasons' Lodge ( Operative, No. 152)
(Andrew Jack R.W.M. ; William Cuth-
bert. sec)
Gas Works (John Hacnaughton', manager)
Haven Squad. -Sergt. -Major C. drill instruc-
tor B Squadron, Scottish Horse Imp. Yeo
Hendry John, butcher. Cathedral street
Henry Barbara & Helen (Misses), Atholl
inn, Atholl street
Jack Andrew, baker, Atholl street & Cathe-
dral street
Jack James, Duke of Atholl's
Arms Family & Commercial
hotel, Bridge street
Jack Thomas, baron bailie, collector of
taxes & stamp sub-distributor, Bridge st
Keir David, forester to his Grace the Duke
of Atholl, Ladywell
Lynn Charles, painter, High street
McDonald D. Mitchell M.B.C.S. Lagmhor
M'Donald Kenneth, chemist, & post office,
Bridge street
M'Gillewie Robert, notary public, factor,
clerk to Dunkeld school board & clerk to
the heritors of the parish of Logierait,
Union Bank, Bridge street
Macintosh James, butcher, Atholl street
Mcintosh Duncan, Taybank
Temperance hotel, Tay ter
M'Intyre John & Co. grocers, spirit dealers,
ironmongers & seedsmen, Atholl Btreet
M'Laren Cath. (Miss), china &c. dlr. High st
M'Laren Chas. J. P. land steward, Calley ldg
M'Lean Charles & Son, booksellers & fancy
goods &c. dealers, Atholl street
M'Laren John, saddler, Atholl street
Macnaughton John, depute clerk of the
peace, Bank of Scotland, High street
Miller John, tailor, Brae street
Murray James, joiner, High street
Murray John, grocer, Bridge street
Patrick David, livery stable keeper, Atholl st
Paul Allan, draper & tailor,
Br.dge street
Rattray William, timber merchant & Baw
mill owner, Glack mill & Dowally
Richardson Thos. Alex, tailor, High street
Robertson Robert, boot maker, High street
Royal Grammar School (George Ritchie
Croll M.A. master; George Mutch, mas-
ter elementary department)
Savings Bank (branch of the County & City
of Perth)(Thomas Jack, cashier), Bridge et
Scott Walter, baker, Atholl street
Smith Milward, regimental eergt. -major,
Scottish Horse Imperial Yeomanry
Smith Thomas, blacksmith, AthoU Btreet
Stamp & Tax Office (Thomas Jack, sub-
distributor), Bridge street
Stewart & Wilson, drapers, Bridge street
Stewart James L. tailor, Bridge street
Stewart Mary (Mise), stationer, Atholl st
Taylor James Anderson M.A.St.And.,M.B.
ec C.M.Ediu. suryeon & parochial medical
officer for Dunkeld, Little Dunkeld &
Caputh & certifying factory surgeon,
Tay terrace
Thorn James, grocer, The Square
Tracey Christian (Mrs.), dress maker &
milliner, Atholl street
Union Bank of Scotland Limited (branch)
(Robert M'Gillewie, agent), Bridge st. ;
draw on London office, 62 Cornhill E C
& Bank of England E C, London
Watson David, grocer & wine & spirit
dealer, Atholl street
Marked thus * receive their letters though
Marked thus f receive their letters through
Ballinluig R.S.O.
Borrie Donald & Thomas, Newtyie
*Brodie Mrs. Ann, Over Cardney
•(■Borrie James, Tom of Kilmorich & Mains
of Kilmorich
tCampbell William, Guay farm
^Doig Alexander, Middle Cardney
#Doig James, Letter farm
*Fraser David, Macmaridge
w.ilespie James J. Rotmell
fKennedy John, West Kilmorich
i-.i'Dona'ld Donald, East Countlicu
*M'Donald Donald, East Fun garth
fMcDonald John, Baledmund
*M'Inroy Robert, Fungarth
[â– McLaren Alexander, Croftdavhl
tM'Laren Mrs. James, Ballintuim
•Macmillan Samuel (reps, of), Laighwood
*McRitchie Mrs. Margt. & Geo. Ricchap
#Vatlulln Alexander, West Fungarth
fRobertson James, West & Mid Countlich
Robertson John, Lowes farm
Smith Robert, Haughend
tScott Charles, Dowally
fStewart Peter, Haugh of Kilmorich
fWallace John, Balnacraig
(Letters through Ballinluig.)
Anderson James & Co. farina manufac-
turers, Kilmorich
Butter David, joiner, Klndallachan
Campbell John, blacksmith, Guay
Conacher James, tailor, Haugh of Kilmorich
Douglas James, grocer, draper & tailor &
registrar of births, deaths & marriages,
M'Donald John, timber merchant & saw mill
owner, Balnald
Rattray William, timber merchant & saw.
mill owner; & Glack mill
Lowe John Laing
Macmillan William McCall, Laigwood
Kobertson Mrs. Butter glen
i 'air Peter, blacksmith
Keay James, tailor
Kitchie William, tailor
LITTLE DUNKELD, cmtrnry to its
distinctive appellative, is an extensive
parish, in the AthoU and Breadalbane poor
combination and Perth small debt court
district, on the west or right bank of the
Tay, near the confluence of the Bran with
that river. The parish of Little Dunkeld
is traversed by the military road from Perth
to Inverness, and by the Highland rail-
way, which intersects the parish throughout
its entire length, about 14 miles. By the
" Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1*889
(52 and 53 Vict. c. 50, sections 44 to 60),
boundary order 98, a part of Fowlis Wester
parish has been added to Little Dunkeld.
The parish forms a kind of irregular
triangle, and is disposed by nature into
four districts. Birnam, Dal guise, Gellyrurn,
Inver, Meikle Trochry, Murthly, Drumour,
Strathbraan and Torwood are small villages
in the parish of Little Dunkeld, from one to
Bix miles distant. The first district is that
of Murthly, extending from Kinclaven to
the " Pass of Birnam." It includes the
villages of Gellyburn and Murthly, where
there is a station on the Highland railway,
about 15 miles north from Perth. The Perth
District Asylum, adjoining the station, is a
fine square building, surrounded by beautiful
grounds, which are kept in order by the
patients. Pinel Lodge Convalescent House
was opened in November, 1895, and Tuke
Lodge, in November, 189G; both these are
carried on in connection with the asylum,
Murthly Castle, the seat of Walter Thomas
James Scrymsoure - Steuart - Fothringham
esq. D.L., J. P. is a fine structure in the
Elizabethan 6tyle, with grounds upwards
of three square miles in extent, and con-
taining avenues and terraces of the finest
and rarest trees in the country. In this
district is also Dalpowie House, and the
charming shooting lodge of Rohallion. The
eoil of this district (all of which belongs to
'. W. T. J. Scrymsoure-Steuart^Fothringham
esq.) is fertile and well cultivated.; the
surface of the country is beautifully varied,
and the fields well enclosed. The second
and central district of the parish is Bir-
nam, in the midst of which Birnam Hill
(rendered classic by Shakespeare in " Mac-
beth," Act V.), rises in rude magnificence
from the edge of the river. From the
summit of Birnam Hill an unrivalled view
is obtained in every direction, arid its
slate quarries have been wrought with
profit from an early period. At the base cf
the hill are the villages of Torwood and
Birnam, while about a mile to the west is
the village of lnver, the birthplace, in
1727, of the famous Scottish violinist and
musical composer, Neil Gow, who died in
1807 ; it is pleasantly situated at the
confluence of the rivers Tay and Braan.
Acreage of the parish, 41,268 ; rateable
value, £20,600; population in 1891, 2,108,
and in 1901; 2,116, including 24 officials
and 354 inmates of Perth District Asylum;
the population of the ecclesiastical parish
in 1901 was 1,938.
Birnam is a beautiful modern village,
about three-quarters of a mile from Dunkeld,
and is well drained and supplied with gas
and water, and contains the Dunkeld
station of the Highland railway. The Bir-
nam Hotel, of which Mr. Edward Cesari is
the proprietor, is a building with towers,
and contains a public hall ; surrounding it
are pleasure grounds. Birnam Institute
includes a reading room and library, re-
creation and refreshment rooms, and a
public hall. The institute grounds are fur-
nished with seats under the shade of
spreading beeches. The Episcopal church
of St. Mary is a building in the Gothic
style, with a tower and bell. St. Mary's
Tower is the residence of Mrs. Gray, and
Erigmore, the residence of Henry PeterB
esq. The population of Birnam village
in 1901 was 389.
The third district of the parish of Little
Dunkeld extends from Inver, along the
banks of the Tay, to Grandtully, a space of
ten miles; here the fields are level, and
the whole has the appearance of an almost
continued series of beautiful gardens. It
includes a stretch of fine country called
" The Bishopric," and contains the village
of Dalguise, where there is a Btation of the
Highland railway, and near which are the
mansions of Dalguise House and Kinnaird.
Balnaguard is a village with an inn at the
extreme end of the district.
The fourth district is Strathbraan, a valley
about 9 miles in length, through which
flows the river Braan. In the lower portion
the soil is fertile and well tilled, but the
upper portion iB poor and unproductive. In
this strath is Drumour Lodge; the shootings
attached are very extensive.
Near the centre of Strathbraan is
the village of Trochry, containing a United
Free church and the ruins of a famous old
oastle, once a seat of the Earls of Gowrie.
At the upper extremity of the parish lies
the village of Amulree.
Post, T. & M. 0. 0., T. M. O., S. B. &
a. & I. 0. Birnam; Charles Low, post-
master (Railway Sub-Office. Letters
should have R.S.O, Perthshire added).
Deliveries, 7.20 a.m. & 3 p.m.; dis-
patches, 7.15 a.m. & 2.20 & 5.10 p.m.;
North mail, 6.6 p.m
Post, T. & M. 0. 0., T. M. 0., S. B. &
A. & I. 0. Murthly (Railway Sub-"0mce.
Letters should have K.S.O. Perthshire
add('d) ; Miss Catherine Scott, sub-post-
mistress. Deliveries, 7.15 a.m. & 3.10
p.m. for callers only; dispatches, G.10 &
7.30 a.m. & 2.45 & 5.25 p.m.; Sunday,
dispatched at 2.45 p.m
Post & Telegraph Office, Trochry; John R.
McGregor, sub-postmaster. Letters through
Dunkeld. Delivery, 8.40 a.m. ; dispatched,
3.50 p.m. Postal Orders are issued &
paid. The nearest money order office is.
at Dunkeld, 4 miles distant '
Post Office, Dalguise; John Stewart, sub-
postmaster. Letters through Dunkeld.
Delivery, 9.30 a.m,; dispatch, 12.30 p.m.
Postal Orders are issued here & paid.
The nearest money order office is Dun-
keld, 5 miles distant; telegraph office at
Letters for Torwood are received through
Birnam R.S.O
Wall Letter Box, Inver, cleared at 1.45-
p.m. from Oct. to June & 4.25 p.m. from
July to September
Chairman, William A. Rae
Clerk, John A. Harris, Torwood, Birnam
Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates
John A. Harris, Torwood, Birnam
Registrars of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
Charles Low, Birnam
Session Clerk,. John McLeish
Birnam & Dunkeld Recreation Grounds,
Robert M'Gillewie, see & treasurer
Birnam Highland Games (held on the last
thm-Bday of August), His Grace the Duke
of Rutland & Walter T. J, Scrymsoure-
Rteuart-Fothringham, patronB ; James
Macintosh, sec
Birnam Institute, William Murdoch, sec
Perthshire District Lunatic Asylum, Murth-
ly, LewiB Campbell Bruce M.D., CM.,
F.R.C.P.Edin. medical superintendent;
Alexander Spalding Mackie Peebles M.B.
& Ch.B.Edin. assistant; John Chisholm.
SCOT. 71*

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence