‹‹‹ prev (686)

(688) next ›››

White John, market gardener, Crossford
Whyte Betsy (Miss), shopkpr.119 New row
Whyte Geo. "grocer & spirit dlr.17 Moodie st
Wliyte John, grocer & spirit dlr. 1 Rose st
Whyte John, market gardener, Crossford
Wight man James I. packing case maker,
HO Golfdrum street
Wight-man Thomas B. salesman, Green-
mount, Buffie's brae
Wilkie Andrew, factory manager, Novar
cottage, Grieve street
Williamson Janet (Mrs.), tobacco pipe
manufacturer, 123 Pittencrieff street
Williamson Maggie (Miss), dress maker,
Market street
Wilson Robert & Son, blacksmiths, Pil-
muir street
Wilson Allan, butcher, 39 High street
Wilson Catherine (Mrs.), Temperance hotel,
East Port street
Wilson David, painter, 3G Queen Anne st
Wilson James, fish dealer & horse hirer,
Hospital hill
Wilson Maggie (Miss), grocer, 1 Elgin st
Wilson Robert, assistant inspector of poor,.
Town house, Bridge street
Wilson William, cabinet maker & furniture
dealer, 63 & 65 Queen Anne street
Wood Amurath, dentist, 109 High street
Young Men's Christian Association (A.
Millar, sec), 25 Queen Anne street
Young Women's Christian Association (Miss
Alice Stenhouse, sec), Bath street
Younger James, coal agent, Station yard
Yule John F. solicitor, 13 Bridge street
Allan David, Grange
Allan William & David, South Fods
Beddie William, Craigluscar
Brown Hugh, Colton Mains & Lochead
Butters Hugh, Masterton
Craig James. Labalmond
Drummond James, jun. Easter & Wester
Drysdale James, Nether Beath, Crossgates
Dunfermline Co-operative Society Limited
Easson Joseph, Whitefield
Krs&ine David, Myrend
Finlayson David, Venture Fair
Flear William, Craigs
Fofgan John, Blackball
Glass Peter, Rosebank
Hamilton John, Brucehaven
Hardie William, Gallowridgehill
Hill William, Baldridge
Husband Mrs. Hannah L. Wester Gellett
Husband Thomas R. Easter Gellet
Jackson William, St. Margaret's stone
Kerr The Misses Helen & Margaret, Hill
Kerr John, Hill of Beath, Crossgates R.S.O
Kerr Robert, Annfield
Kirk William, South' Lethans & Knock
Lambie Alexander, Leckerstone
Lambie George S. Blacklaw, Pitcorthie
Leitch Thomas & William, Denhead
Leitch Thomas, Dunnygask
Leitch William, South Lethans & Knock
Macdonald David, South Balyeoman &
McKerehar John, Pitbauchlie
MacNaughton William, North Lethans
M'Nab Duncan, Muircockhall
Marshall Ebenezer, Head well
Melrose Archibald, West Balbridge
Mitchell John (exors. of), Keirsbeath
Montgomerie William, sen. J ames &
William, jun. Knockhouse
Reid John (Mrs.), Dundult
Ritchie Jas. Woodmill & Easter Brucefield
Smith Thomas, Primrose
Strang William, Transy
Tulloch James, Sunnybank
Welsh John, Pitconnochie
XbungAlex.Mains of Beath,CrossgatesR.S.O
Begg Rev. Robert B.D. U. F. manse
Clarke Rev. Jn.M.A.The Manse, Mossgreen
Nasmyth William Ramsay M.D
Allan Margaret (Miss), baby linen &c. dlr
Bett David, grocer & spirit dealer
Beveridge Andrew.joiner & saw mill owner
Eeveridge Mrs. Helen, baby linen &c. dealr
Brand James, grocer & draper
Currie James, registrar for Dalgetty
parish, Moss green
Downie Alexander, boot maker
Dunfermline Co-operative Society Limited
(branch), grocers
Fife (The) Coal Co. Limited, colliery pro-
prietors, Hill of Beath; head office,Leven
Freemasons' Hall
Fraser <fc Carmichael, grocers & spirit dlrs
Graham Francis, grocer
Hill of Beath Reading Room (Wm. Keir,
Johnston James, grocer & draper, Hill of
Johnston John, blacksmith
Keir William, spirit dealer, Hill -of Beath
Kilgour David, tailor & draper
Kilgour James, tailor
Moore William, china dealer
Nasmyth William Ramsay M.D. surgeon
Ness Thomas, spirit dealer
Penman James, spirit dealer
Rankin Andrew, butcher
Sharp Robert Sneddon, grocer & spirit dlr
Stewart William &. Sons.slaters & plasterers
Walls Charles, grocer & draper
Watters John, spirit dealer
Wilson Brothers, ironfounders
Wilson David, grocer d. spirit dealer
Wilson James, baker
Anderson John, grocer & spirit dealer
Bernard Helen (Mrs.), grocer
Campbell William, Foresters' Arms P.H
Hunter Peter, greengrocer
Kingseat Co-operative Society Limited
(James Alexander, manager), grocers,
drapers &c
Livingston Robert, grocer
Livingston Charles B. farm's manager
Fhilp Robert, spirit dealer
Thompson Peter, grocer & spirit dealer
Leitch Robert, Lilliehill house
Miller Rev. Andrew T. United Free Church
Ness Henry, Henmar house
Primmer Rev. Jacob (Established)
Street Henry, Claybank
Street Richard, Appin house
Bell John, hair dresser
Craig J. & M. Limited, makers of
sewerage pipes, fire bricks &
all kinds of sanitary ware <&c.
Lilliehill Fire Clay works (T.A.
" Craig, TownhiU"; T.N. 776
Dunfermline); & at Kilmarnock
Dunfermline Co-operative Society Limited
Lochside Coal & Fireclay Co. fire brick &
clay goods manufacturers
Ness Henry & Co. Limited, colliery pro-
prietors, Muirbeath collieries; T N. 741;
T A " Ness, TownhiU"
Penman George, tailor
Simpson George M. grocer
Simpson James, spirit dealer
Street Brothers Limited, manufacturers of
enamel bricks, fire clay goods &c. Appin
fire clay works; TA "Streets, Town-
hill"; TN 722
Street Brothers Lim.builders & contractors
TownhiU Industrial Co-operative Society
Limited (Robert Shepherd, manager)
Turbayne Alexander, grocer &. spirit dealer
Watters & Co. butchers
West of Fife Coal Co. Ltd. coal masters
Wilson Robert, draper
DTJJTINO (or Denino) is a parish, 4X
miles south-east of St. Andrews and 5
north-west of Craill, with a station at
Stravithie, 1J miles north, on the Thornton,
Ansfrruther and St. Andrews section of the
North British railway ; the parish, whlich
is in the small debt court district of St
Andrews, extends 3 miles from north to
south by 2 broad, and is bounded north by
St. Andrews and St. Leonard, east by CraHl,
south by Carnbee and west by Cameron.
The parish church, a plain stone building,
was erected in 1826-. Col. Alexander
Sprot of Stravithie, Col. Sir Alexander
MoncriefE K.C.B.. F.R.S. of Bandirran,
Perthshire, Mrs. Irvine of G-rangemuir and
John Purvis esq. of Kinaldy in Cameron,
are the principal landowners. The area
comprises 2,966 acres ; rateable value,
=£2,980; the population in 1891, 277, and
in 1901, 272.
Post Office, Denino; William Donaldson,
sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through
Stravithie R.S.O. Delivery, 9.40 a.m. &
7.10 p.m. ;. dispatched, 1.50 p.m. The
nearest money order & telegraph office
is at St. Andrews, 5 miles distant
Post Office, Stravithie; John Francis, sub-
postmaster (Railway Sub-Office. Letters
should have R.S.O. Fifeshire added). De-
livered, 9.10 a.m. & 6.40 p.m. (to
callers); dispatched, 2.30 p.m. Postal
Orders are issued and paid here. The
nearest money order & telegraph office
is at St. Andrews, 5 miles distant
Inspector of Poor, Collector of Rates &
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
James W. Somers
Police Station, James Thomson, constable
Established Church, Rev. James Ewan B.D
School Board, Harry Waddell, clerk
School, James W. Somers, master
On the Anstruther & St. Andrews branch of
the North British line.
Station, Stravithie, John Francis, station
Ewan Rev. James B.D. (Established)
Morrison Edward, Bonny town
Sprot Col. Alex. Stravithie house
Donaldson William.blacksmith, & post office
Chilles Andrew, miller
Johnston James, blacksmith
Kinnell John, grocer & ale & porter dealer
Liddle William, dairyman
Somers Jas. W. registrar of births, deaths
& marriages, inspector of poor & collec-
tor of rates
Wallace Christopher, joiner
Brown David, Woodend
Clement James, Balkaithly
Finlayson James, Beley
Methven Robert, Beley bridge
Steven William, Stravithie & Bannefield
Thomson John, Newbridge
Waddell William. Stravithie Mains
Wallace James, Brake
DTJNSHALT, see Auchtermtjchtt.
DYSART is a seaport and parish, extend-
ing 3 miles from north to south and lying
along the north shore of the Firth of Forth
for about 2 miles east to west; it contains
the royal and parliamentary burgh and
seaport of Dysart, and is in the Kirkcaldy
and Dysart poor combination, with a sta-
tion on the Perth and Dundee section of
the North British railway. The parish was
amalgamated with that of Kirkcaldy, Dec.
3rd, 1901, and is bounded on the north by
Kinglassie, east by Wemyss and Markinch
and west by Kirkcaldy burgh, and is within
the small debt court district of Kirkcaldy.
Dysart town is 2 miles north-west from
Kirkcaldy, on a gentle declvity towards
the Firth of Forth. The central street
contains many substantial houses, and has
a very antique appearance. The streets are
lighted with gas supplied by a company
formed in 1843. So early as 1546 Dysart
is mentioned as one of the principal trading
towns on the coast of Fife. The trade now
consists in the weaving of ticks, checks and
similar linen fabrics, also woollens, tweeds,
druggets and winceys. There are large
power-loom factories in the burgh, besides
two flax spinning mills, and in the vicinity
are mines of coal, extensively wrought. The
harbour is very good, and there is an ex-
cellent wet dock with aboub 18 feet of
water. Coal is the principal export. Dy-
sart was created a royal burgh in the
beginning of the 16th century, but the
original charter is lost. It is governed by
a provost, two bailies and six councillors,
and, together with Kirkcaldy, Kinghorn and
Bruntisland, forms the Kirkcaldy parlia-
mentary district, constituted in 1708, and
returning one member. The most remark-
able object of antiquity near the town is the
castle of Ravenscraig, standing on a steep
crag fronting the sea; this castle is alluded
to in Sir Walter Scott's " Lay of the Last
Minstrel," under the name of Ravensheugh.
It was inhabited in Oliver Cromwell's time,
and was assaulted by a party of his troops,
but has for many years been deserted, and
is now ruinous. Dysarb gives the tfitle of
esrl to a branch of the Murrays of Tulli-
bardine. The Normand Memorial Hall,
a building of sfcrno, was erected at a cost
of between £5,000 and £6,000, and pre-
sented to the town by Mrs. James Normand,
in memory of her deceased husband. There
is also a Mechanics' Institute, and a

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence