‹‹‹ prev (1000)

(1002) next ›››

EYEMOUTH is an ancient little seaport and burgh of barony in the
parish of its name, 50 miles e. from Edinburgh, 21 n.e. from
Greenlaw, the like distance s.e. from Dunbar, 20 miles n. from Cold-
stream, 13f£ n.e. from Duns, 8 n. from Berwick, and 3 from Ayton
station on the North British railway. It lies at the mouth of the Eye,
where that river discharges its waters into the North Sea, from which
circumstance the town and parish takes its name. The port is a very
ancient one, being known as such as early as the reign of Alexander II.,
when it was resorted to by the monks of that age as a commodious
harbour for importing supplies for their establishment, and for
shipping wool, hides, &c, in which they trafficked. Shipping can work
into and out of the bay at all times of the tide, or lie at anchor in the
haven secure from all winds, except the north and north-east, or when
the passage cannot he effected up the Frith of Forth; and the port
is occasionally frequented by wind bound vessels. The herring fishery
is a source of profitable employment to the greater part of the
inhabitants, there being 96 boats regularly employed. This number is,
however, frequently largely supplemented by boats from other parts, the
total number engaged in this industry being as high as 132. In
October, 1881, 43 large boats were employed at the white winter fishing,
but in the terrible storm on the 14th of that month, when 12i) lives
were lost from this port alone, the number of boats was reduced to 28.
The annual produce of the fishing now amounts to about £40,000.
The Trustees of the harbour have obtained the sum of £25,000 from the
Public Works Loan Commissioners to accelerate the long desired
improvements of the harbour, works in connection with which are now,
(1885), in progress, and are expected to be finished during the year; and
which will treble the accommodation for boats, and cannot fail to have
the effect of greatly increasing the trade. In addition to the above a
railway company has beeu formed, styled the Eyemouth Railway
Company, with a capital of £30,000 in 3,000 shares of £10 each.
The company is formed for the purpose of constructing a line from
Eyemouth to Burnraouth, connecting it with the North British system.
The scheme has met with considerable support, and it is expected the
day is not far distant when it will be an accomplished fact. Eyemouth
was a great depot for smugglers ; it is affirmed that at one time almost â– 
every house had secret cellars connected with it, wherein those engaged
in the illicit trade concealed the goods and liquors lauded here from
the luggers which frequented the harbour and neighbouring shoresa
The vigilance and energy of the preventive service, together with a
judicious alteration of the duties, have, however, long since destroyed
this illegitimate mode of acquiring wealth, and turned the trade of the
town into more honourable and less hazardous channels. On a small
promontory, which stretches out into the sea, there are the remains of a
POST OFFICE, Eyemouth (R.S.O.), George Black Sinclair, Post Master.— Letters arrive from all parts (from Ayton) at 7 and 10 35 a.m.
and 7 25 p.m., and are despatched thereto at 7 25 and 11 50 a.m. and 7 45 p.m. 13- Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Ayton, George Wood, Post Master.— Letters from London and all parts arrive at 7 a.m., from Edinburgh, Glasgow, &c. at
10 a.m., and from London and all parts at 7-30 p.m. ; and are despatched to Edinburgh, Glasgow, North and West, at 7 35 a.m. ; to Berwick
and Northumberland at 8-30 a.m. ; to Edinburgh, North and West at 12 30 noon ; all parts at 3 30 p.m. ; to Edinburgh, &c. at 5 5 p.m. ; and to
all parts at 7 50 p.m. IS" Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
regular fortification, supposed to have been constructed by a French
officer entrusted with the command ofthe Queen Regent's troops. A
church of the Establishment, a Free church, an Evangelical Union
church, and chapels for Primitive Methodists and United Presbyterians
are the places of worship. A handsome school was erected in
1876. The ty. Abb's Lodge of Master Masons and tho Land of
Cakes Royal Arch Chapter hold their meetings here, in a neat lodge
room formed in 1757 ; it was in this room that Burns, the poet, was
made a Royal Arch Mason. Fairs are held on the first Thursdays of
June and October. The parish of Eyemouth, which embraces an area
of 1,004 statute acres, contained in 1881 a population of 2,935, the town
having 2,816,sthe burgh 2,825, landward 110.
Ayton is a parish and village, the latter 2}£ miles from Eyemouth,
and 8 n.w. from Berwick, occupying a delightful situation on the left
bank of the Eye, on the main line of railway between Edinburgh and
the South. The parish contains about 6,699 acres, and describes an
area of about 4 miles each way, including about two miles of sea coast,
which is here bold and rocky; more inland the soil is rich, producing
all kinds of grain. Several vestiges of encampments are discernible
through the parish, and urns, with pieces of broken armour, have been
occasionally brought to the surface by the plough. A church, tbe
foundation stone of which was laid September 8th, 1864, was erected
near to the old one, which for many years past had been falling into
decay. It is in the English Gothic style of the 14th century, with a
lofty tower, and contains sittings for nearly 800 persons. The cost was
about £7,000, to which sum Mr. Lines was a liberal contributor. There
are two United Presbyterian churches in the village, one of which, a
handsome building, was erected in 1871, on the same site ofaformer
one built in 1778. A justice of the peace court is held here monthly,
and a sheriff's court for the recovery of small debts is held four times a
year. Population of the parish in 1881, 2,039 ; of the village, 862.
BurnmouthIs a small fishing village, having a harbour situated at
the foot of an almost perpendicular ledge of rock ; the cottages stand-
ing near to high water mark give it a very romantic appearance. The
heights hi the vicinity afford very beautiful and varied scenery, extend-
ing to the Elldons on the south, Lammermoor on the west, and Bam-
borough on the east — the north being tbe ocean. It is about 2^ miles
from Ayton, and 6 from Berwick. It is a coast-guard station, and
there is a railway station close to the entrance to the village, on the
North British line. There is a spacious Board school in the village, hut
there is no place of worship. Eighteen boats are regularly employed
and stationed here for herring fishing, and ten of a larger class for
white fishing in the winter season.;
Aiken Rev. James John Marshall Lang, The
Manse, Ayton
Allan John, Esq. .t.p. Peelwalls, Ayton
Allan Robert A. Esq. j.p. Eyemouth
Bowhill James, Esq. Ayton
Doughty Jas. Thomas Simpson, Esq. Ayton
Duncan Rev. John, Ayton
Dunlop Mr. James, Summerhill, Ayton
Featherstone Rev. J. Eyemouth
Ford John, Esq. j.p. Eyemouth
Gibson Alexander, Esq. Netherbyrea
Harrower Rev. James, Eyemouth
Hastie Miss — , Corville House, Ayton
Hastie John Logan, Esq. Ayton
Holland Mr. Frederick, The Elms, Ayton
limes Alexander Mitchell, Esq. j.p. Ayton
Innes Mr. John, Peelwalls Cottage, Ayton
Jackson Rev. .Robert, Evangelical Union Manse
Johnston John, Esq. j.p. Liuthill
Lawton Mrs. — , St. Helen's, Ayton
Leitch Mr. Alexander, Fairneyside, Ayton
Mein Mr. James, Lamerton
Miller Rev. David K. Beach Villa
Miller Rev. James, Free Church Manse
Munro Rev. J. D. The Manse
Pearson Mrs. Jane, Eyemouth
Sandison Mr. Mangus, Highlaws
Thomson Mr. Alexander, Ayton
Turnbull Miss Mary, Summerhill
Wilson Rev. William, Ayton
Board Schools : —
Ayton— William Cook, master ; Agnes
Lithgow, mistress
Burnmouth — William Wardrop, master ;
Eden Wardrop, mistress
Eyemouth — James Cox, master ; M. R. Law,
I Armitage Thomas, Market pi
I' Bird James, Eyemouth
Cairns Alexander, Ayton
{ Chrystal John, Church st
23— A-B
Chrystal William, St. Ella's pi
Fairbairn David, Eyemouth
Gibson Alexander, St. Ella's pi
Gibson James, Eyemouth
Patterson Peter, High st
Simpson Alexander, Ayton
Commercial Bank of Scotland, Limite o
(Branch), Ayton— draws on tbo London and
Westminster Bank, London — James Bowhill,
agent. Sub-Branch at Eyemouth — James
Luke Rae, sub-agent
Royal Bank op Scotland (Branch), Ayton—
draws on own branch, 123 Bishopsgate st.
Within, Bank of England and Coutts & Co.
London — Alex. Thomson, agent ; Sub-
Branch at Eyemouth — John Wood, sub-
Ewart Mrs. — , Eyemouth
Ewart David, Ayton
Foster Robert, Prenderguest
Luke James, St. Ella's pi. Eyemouth
Wightman Timothy, Ayton
Aitchison John, Ayton
Best John, High st. Eyemouth
Black James, Queen st. Eyemouth
Edington Archibald, Ayton
Ford John, High st. Eyemouth
Nishet George D. Terrace, Eyemouth
Paterson James, Ayton
Swanston Robert, Ayton
Armitage Thomas, Market place
Burgan Alexander, Eyemouth
Guy John, Ayton
Jordan John, Eyemouth
Scott David, Ayton
Scott William, High st
Sinclair William, Ayton
Waddell Robert, Ayton
Wicks George, Ayton
Chisholm George, Ayton
Henderson John, Ayton
Heron John, Ayton
Landles John, Eyemouth
Leitli George, Eyemouth
Nisbet George, Ayton
Scougall John, High st
Stott Joseph, Eyemouth
Watson James, Eyemouth [green
Weatherhead James (& boat builder), Guns-
Brack Andrew, Queen st
Logan Thomas, Home Arms Hotel, Ayton
M'Kenzie Duncan, Ayton
Meek David, Eyemouth
Purves George, Ship Hotel, Eyemouth
Simpson James, Red Lion Hotel, Ayton
Dougall James & Co. Eyemouth
Gray Archibald, Chapel st
Rule William, Market pi
Alexander Thomas, Eyemouth
Brack Andrew, Eyemouth
Collin George, Marine parade
Dalgetty Robert, Ayton
Dickson Peter, Eyemouth
Dickson Robert & John, Eyemouth
Glen Alexander, Commerce st
Sands — , Eyemouth
Yule John, Railway station, Ayton,

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence