‹‹‹ prev (22)

(24) next ›››

it is completely surrounded , are every day getting
more commodious, tasteful, and some of them highly
ornamental. On the south side is the Town-house,
with the prison above ; at the east end the Trades'
Hall, built on the space once occupied by the
Shambles ; and on the west a neat Episcopal Chapel,
erected on the site of the old meal-market and guard-
house. All these have elegant shops on the ground
flats, and will be taken notice of in another part of
this Delineation. In the middle of the square stood
the venerable Cross of Dundee, often the place of
joy and amusement in holidays, when the town gave
itself up to mirth and good humour. It bears date
of having been erected 1586, and taken down 1777 ;
thus standing the better part of two centuries. East
from it stood the Cross Well, now removed to St.
Clement's lane, behind the Town-house.
The only communications from this square to the
Shore were by a steep narrow lane on the east call-
ed Tindal's wynd, by St. Clement's lane, and a pent-
up dangerous descent, called the Vault, from the
arch in which it terminates at the lower end, after
having received the cross communication from St.
Clement's lane. Nothing can be conceived so ill
contrived as these lanes ; but within these forty years
Crichton Street was judiciously opened from the
Shore to the west end of this square, affording an
easy and convenient communication for passengers,
carriages, and goods, passing and repassing. Not
so far back, a still farther and even more commo-
dious improvement was made at the east end of this
square, by cutting a street through part of the rock
on which stood the old Castle of Dundee, — hence

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence