‹‹‹ prev (1512)

(1514) next ›››

Commodore, Col. Jolin Scott, C.B. ; vice-commo-
dore, Charles Connell; rear-commodore, Jas. Hamil-
ton; stewards, R. M. Donaldson, P. M. Inglis, D.
Campbell, Arthur Wingate, W.W.Mac Lallan, Kenneth
M. Clark, D. F. D. Neill, and Wm. A. Wylie : secy,
and treasurer, Vv''illiam Yoi-k, 150 Hope st., Glasgow.
Club House, Hunter's Quay.
The admission is £2 2s. entrance money, and
£2 2s. annual subscription for inport members, and
£1 Is. for outport members.
The yachts of this club have the special privilege,
by warrant from the Lords of the Admiralty, of
wearing the blue ensign. The distinguishing flags of
the club are " Blue Burgee with Red Lion on Yellow
Shield, surmounted by Crown, and Blue Ensign."
The Annual Regattas of the club take place at
Hunter's Quay.
This association was formed in 1873, for the pur-
pose of (1) stocking our Highland lochs with trout,
and (2) of protecting the spawning beds in streams
running into Lochs Lomond, Katrine, Achray,
Vennacher, and Lubnaig, and thereby increase
the number of trout in those waters. Watchers
are placed on the burns dm-ing the spawning season
to prevent poaching. The association have qualified
netters of pike on the various lochs, whose operations
in killing these fish have been most successful. The
association is composed of anglers and others inter-
ested in preserving trout in our Highland lochs and
streams. The annual subscription is £1 Is.
President, James Murray, chamberlain to the Duke
of Montrose ; committee, the president of the West
of Scotland Angling Club, the president of the West-
ern Angling Club, Neale Thomson, George Sellar,
James Houston, James Wilson, William Sloan,
Robert Knox, R. E. Findlay, John Stewart, R. R. Auld,
James Young, James S. Dison, and John M. Ross ;
law agents, Cowan, Eraser, & Clapperton ; sec. and
treas., Dav. B. Macgregor, 51 West Regent Street,
Queen's Park.
This club was established in January, 1835, and
the bowling green formed on part of the lands of
Wellcroft, situated in Surrey Street, Laurieston.
In 1851 the club removed and formed two beautiful
greens, with a curling pond, near the head of Eglinton
Street, on gi-ound obtained from the Royal Incorpora-
tion of Hutcheson's Hospital. From this site the
club was in 1876 under the necessity of removing
to a more eligible site at the north-west comer of the
Queen's Park, where two spacious greens were
made, a neat and commodious bowl house erected,
and the ground tastefully laid out so as to form a
most agreeable and ornamental adjunct to the locality.
Membership limited to 200. Present membership
(April, 1895), 155. Annual subscription, £1 10s.
Office-bearers for 1895-96: — President, William
Jlotherwell ; vice-president, H. W. Madden ; secretaiy,
Jas. Smith, 21 Bath Street; treasurer, Archibald
Brownlie, 145 St. Vincent Street; ordinary directors,
James M'Creadie, H. D. Robertson, Thos. Watson,
and Andw. Warden ; retiring president, A. L. Slessor.
Founded 1889.
Hon. President, The Marquis of Lothian.
President, A. Kettles (Civil Service C.C.)
General Secretary, A. G. Rennie, 49 Lilybank
Gardens, Hillhead.
The objects of this union are — (1) To promote
and foster amateur cychng in Scotland ; (2) to pro-
mote the interests of cyclists, and to provide legal
assistance when deemed advisable ; (3) to look after
the condition of the highways, and to endeavour to
have them made and maintained in accordance with
the rules laid down by Macadam ; (4) to procure ihe
erection, legibility, and upkeep of milestones and
finger-posts ; (5) to erect danger boards where
deemed necessary ; (6) to vyatch the course of any
legislative proposals affecting cyclists, to take action
therein as may be considered necessary, and to co-
operate with other bodies for such purposes ; (7) to
endeavour to obtain reductions in the cost of transit
of cycles when accompanied by passengers ; (8) to
supervise cycle racing in general, and to endeavour
to secure the construction of tracks consistent with
safety to riders.
Office-bearers — Western district council, vice-pres.,
R. Robinson, Esq. (Civil Service CO.); lion, secy.,
J. G. Torrance, 22 Carmichael Street, Govan ; hon.
assistant sec, R. R. Eraser, Canning St., Bridgeton.
Established 1865.
Hon. President, J. G. A. Baird, Esq., M.P. ; hon.
vice-presidents, Dr. Grant, Robert Scott, Esq., Wm.
Carruthers, Esq., and J. T. Pettigrew, Esq. ; presi-
dent, Mr. John Gow ; vice-president, Mr. A. M.
Bryson; commodore, Mr. Thomas Smith ; vice-com-
modore, Mr. J. F. Ross ; captain, Mr. Wm. Garven ;
vice-captain, Mr. William Robertson ; hon. secretary,
Mr. W. B. Neilson, 4 Derby Street, Sandyford, Glas-
gow ; hon. treasurer, Mr. H. A. Ritchie, 275 Eglinton
Street, Glasgow ; committee, Blessrs. Stormont Bryson,
J. C. Blair, P. M'l. Craig, E. Harper, James Inglis,
A. W. Smith, and R. Scott. Annual subscription,
£1 Is. ; hon. life membership, £1 Is ; junior member-
ship (under 20 years of age), 10s. 6d.
Ground — Hamilton Crescent, Partick.
President, Col. SirD. C. Buchanan, K.C.B., of Drum
pellier; vice-president, A. P. Anderson, Esq.; hon.
secy., J. H. Miller, 10 Hamilton Ter., W., Partick, to
whom apply for membership, &c. ; hon. treas., Hugh
Gray, 59 St. Vincent Street.
The Club was instituted in 1869, in order to bring
together such as are in the habit of taking, and to
arrange, walking excursions to places of interest in
the neighbourhood of Glasgow. An annual meeting
of the Club is held in the month of January to
appoint office-bearers, &c. Gentlemen desirous of
admission to the Club must be proposed and seconded
by two members. The business of the Club is trans-
acted by a council of five members. Alex. Martin,
senior rambler and convener, 24 Hutcheson Street

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence