‹‹‹ prev (1274)

(1276) next ›››

FARMERS— continued.
Anderson David, Kitchengreen
Blelloch William, Lancrfauld
Blclloch William & James, Killemie
Bryce David, Bandscotsdrum
Carmichael Robert, Rennies Wells
Cousin George D. Cadgerford
Cousin Peter, Salineshaw
Craigie Andrew, Muirside
Drummond John, South Burnsido
Drysdale Adam, East Steeleud
Drysdale John, Saudydub
Drysdale Robert, Bents
Grieve James, Langlees
Guild Alexander, Saline Cottage
Laidlaw Walter, Cattlemoss
Lees Robert, Bickraruside
M'Donald William, North Steelend
M'Leod Alexander, Devonside
M'Nair William, Mains
MTherson James, Blair
Meiklejohn Thomas, Bankhcad
Miller James, Milton
Morgan James, Muirmealing
Morgan James, West Saline
Morris Charles, Myrichall
Muckersie Henry, Sunnyside
Nicol John, Standlane
Normand David, Duckhill
Philp William, Midfield
Reid John, Piperpol
Stewart James, Eastfield
Stirling Hugh, Sheardrum
Wardlaw James, Craighouse
Wilson John & David| Rimalton
Beveridge James, Crombie & Bankhead
Blelloch David, Tinian
Colville Alexander, Hillside
Colville Andrew, North Cults
Dougal Adam, Cultmill
Dougall John, Hallcroft
Fotheringham Henry, Bushes
Grier James, Bullions
Miller James L. Walkmill
Muckersie Henry, Drumfin
Reid John, Bonnington
White James, Muirside
Couston William, Torryburn
Porteous John, Saline
Marked thus + are also Spirit Dealers.
Allan James, Low Torry
Anderson Margaret, Torryburn
Bennie Ellison, Low Torry
Black Alexander, Saline
Brimer James, Torryburn
iButchart Alexander (and draper), Saline
Clark David, Carnock
{Drysdale Janet (& draper), Low Torry
Ford John, Oakley
Hodge Jane, Cairncyhill
{Hunter John, Carnock
{Hunter William, Torryburn
Eean Henry, Low Torry
Keiller Alexander, Saline
Kirk Michael, Carnock
{Macintyro Daniel, Saline
Peters Willinm, Saline
{Robertson David, Oakley
Robertson James, Torryburn
Robertson Janet, Cairneyhill
{Simpson Margaret, Low Torry
Coltness L*on Co. East Grange
Marked thus * are also Wheelwrights.
Drummond John, Low Torry
Drummond Robert, Low Torry
*Edward Henry, Saline
*Fotheringham David (&saw mills), Saline
*Thomson William C. Carnock
Hepburn Robert, Torryburn
Kean George, Saline
Allan Alexander, Torryburn
Anderson Andrew, Torryburn
Anderson David, Low Torry
Anderson Henry, Carnock
Brownhill George (Phcenix Hotel), Oakley â– 
Chalmers George, Cairneyhill
Hunter James, Oakley
Scott Donald, Saline
Sinclair Robert, Low Torry
Hepburn Robert, Torryburn
Hunter R. & W. Saline
Telfer William, M.B., cm. Edin. Blair House,
Brimer James, Torryburn
Garden David, Oakley
Robertson William, Saline
Barrowman John & Co. agricultural implement
makers, Saline
Campbell Jane, earthenware dealer, Low Torry
Dorward David, miller, Saline
Heggie W. & J. timber merchants, Carnock
Maclennan John, road surveyor, Carnock
Stewart Duncan, dairyman, Saline
Tod George, inspector of dairies for the Western
district of Fife, Cairneyhill
White David, ironfounder, Oakley
Public Buildings, Offices, &c.
and their ministers.
Established Churches: —
Torryburn— Rev. William Gall
Carnock— Rev. William Auld
Saline — Rev. William Findlay
Free Churches: —
Torryburn— Rev. Alexander Lundio
Saline— Rev. James Calder
Carnock — Rev. Thomas Scott, m.a.
United Presbyterian Church, Cairneyhill
— Rev. John Moir, m.a., b.d.
Roman Catholic Chapel, Oakley — Rev
Francis Joseph Lynch, priest
Torryburn— William Hunter, inspector and
Carnock — Henry Anderson, inspector and 1
Saline— James C. Mudie, inspector & collecto
OF births, deaths and marriages.
Torryburn — Alexander Mackay
Carnock — Henry Anderson
Satme— James C. Mudie
Station, at Oakley, two miles and a half from
Torryburn — Thos. Walker, station master
To DUNFERMLINE (from Torryburn), every
morning at eight
Carr, daily
WEMYSS is a parish on the south-east side of the county, and derives
its name from the Celtic word Wamb, signifying caves. The
parish is bounded on the north by Kennoway and Markinch, on the
south by the Firth of Forth, on the east by Scoonie, and on the west by
Dysart. Its length is six miles east to west, and one mile and a half in
breadth, the area being 4,732 acres. Within the parish is the ancient
castle of Macduff, now a ruin. This massive structure crowns a height
above the shore, to the east of East Wemyss, commanding a most ex-
tensive view seaward. Near Macduff's Castle are several extensive
excavations at the base of the bank, which have evident'y been formed
by the action of the sea at a very remote period ; one of these caves is
called the " King's Cave," from the tradition that James V., in one of
his frolics, joined an encampment of gipsies here. A few years ago Sir
James Simpson discovered sculpturings on some of the walls of
these caves of various animals and peculiar symbols, common on
large stones in the north and east of Scotland, understood by archae-
ologists to be of great antiquity. In a paper read before the Royal
Society of Edinburgh he described these figures as met with in no
other caves but those of Wemyss. The formation of the caves them-
selves is a most singular result of the extraordinary force of the sea
rolling in upon this part of the Fife coast from the German Ocean.
The sea has washed with great force the high rocks at this point,
but their soft material, consisting of the new red sandstone, admitted
of that scooping out by the force of the tides which had formed the
caves. One of them immediately under MadiuT's Castle, is so narrow
at the mouth that it is difficult to enter it, but it expands so as easily
to contain a hundred persons. Another near is about fifty feet in
height, and formed liko a fine cupola. A third, still larger, between
East and West Wemyss, termed the Glass cave, was used at the end of
last century for the manufacture of glass from kelp formed from the sea
weed. The land generally is in an excellent state of cultivation. The
minerals are ochre, ironstone, and coal— the latter being very consider-
able and extensively wrought. A large portion of the Wemyss estate
consists of coal seams of various depths, which have keen increasingly
wrought of late years; and a very large quantity of coal is yet
unexcavated. Li West Wemyss the coal trade has considerably
increased, and new pits have been opened at Muiredge, near Buckhaven,
and Methil hill, where Methil harbour at the present time (1885) being
greatly enlarged affords a good export. The railway trunk line, skirts
this parish to the west, and a branch runs along its northern hord
eastward to Leven. There is now a branch line from Thornt on
Junction running through the parish to Buckhaven. Population of h
parish in 1881, 7,307.
East Wemyss is a village in the parish of Wemyss, one mile eas t
from West Wemyss, five from Kirkcaldy, and three from Dysart, sit-
uated on the Firth of Forth. In this village the manufacture of lin en
fabrics is carried on extensively, the factory of Messrs. G. & J. Johnsto n
containing between two and three hundred power looms ; a brewery an d
a malting house are the other branches of business. There are Free a nd
Established churches in the village; also public and Free Church
schools. Population in 1881, 846.
West Wemyss is a village, one mile west from East Wemyss, four
miles east from Kirkcaldy, five miles west from Leven, and two miles
from Dysart ; it is in the parish of Wemyss, and is a burgh of barony,
governed by two bailies, twelve councillors, and a treasurer. The
harbour is situated at its western extremity, and has several vessels
belonging to it employed in the exportation of coal, which is wrought
close to the harbour. A short distance east of the village, on the brink
or face of an eminence, and surrounded on the land side by beautiful
plantations and pleasure grounds, is Wemyss Castle, the seat of Ran-
dolph Gordon Erskine Wemyss, Esq., who is the sole proprietor of the
parish, and the representative of the oldest family in tue county. The
lands now forming the parish of Wemyss are said to have been part of
the estate of Macduff, Shakspere's well-known " Thane of Fife." The
Established church is the only place of worship. There is also a school
here. Population in 1881, 1,206.
Buckhaven is a village, one mile east from and in the parish of
Wemyss. There is a harbour here for the accommodation of boats
engaged in the fishing station, which is considerable on this coast. The
manufacture of fishing nets is carried on here to a large extent.
Coal is also extensively worked in the neighbourhood ; both villages are
noted for their brisk pursuit of the fishing trade. There is a Free
church, and one for the United Presbyterians, and several public schools
in the village, and an Established church at Methtl, which is a village
in the parish of Wemyss, one mile east from Buckhaven. A fair is
held at Wemyss on the second Wednesday in September. Population
in 1881, 2,952.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence