‹‹‹ prev (814)

(816) next ›››

INVERARAY is a royal burgh, the seat of a presbytery, and the
county town of Argyllshire, 102 miles w. by N, of Edinburgh, 60
n.w. of Glasgow, 32 s.E. of Oban, by Port Sonachan Ferry, and 42 by
Dalmally, avoiding the ferry, 20 s.E. of Bonaw by the before-mentioned
ferry, but 32 by the coach road and Dalmally, 24 n.e. of Lochgilphead,
and 7G n.n.e. of Campbeltown. It is delightfully situated on the north-
western shore of Lock Fyne, on a point of land (Ardreanich, or the
Fern Point), forming a southern point of a fine bay, which receives the
waters of the Aray and the Shira ; over the first is an elegant stone
bridge of two arches, within half a mile of the town ; the second is
about a mile and a half east, and is crossed by a bridge of one arch.
From the former of these streams the town .derives its name, " Invcr"
signifying the mouth — from its proximity to the mouth of the Aray,
A short distance from the town, at the extremity of the hay, stands In-
veraray Castle, the princely residence of the Duke of Argyll. The
architecture of this mansion is highly finished Gothic, with turrets at
the angles, and its site is particularly beautiful and commanding.
From its southern front there is an expansive view for several miles
down Loch Fyne, and of the adjacent lofty mountains, which are
adorned with fine plantations to their summits. A square pavilion,
rising high above its turrets, supplies light to a gallery (which leads to
all the upper chambers), and a spacious hall, furnished with an elegant
organ, and decorated with the arms used by the Argyllshire militia in
1741, also the colours of the 93rd Highlanders. Amongst the paintings
are those of the earl who was executed in the reign of Charles II., and
also the marquis who suffered in that of James VI. of Scotland. The
drawing room and some other apartments are lined with rich and
costly tapestry of rare designs; indeed the whole interior is fitted and
furnished in sumptuous style. The castle also contains two beautiful
pedestals of red granite, or porphyry, of a very rare kind, discovered by
the present duke near the Ross of Mull ; two slabs were sent to Aber-
deen and converted into pedestals, in forming which it was found to be
much superior and to take a higher polish than either the Peterhead or
the Aberdeen granite. The Duke of Sutherland subsequently procured a
considerable quantity for the internal improvements of Dunrobin Castle.
On entering the hay, the castle has a very majestic- appearance, and the
woods, that rising for a considerable distance adorn the domain, give
the town an appearance of grandeur. Every stranger is struck with the
neatness of the town, which, though small, is well built. The park ;md
grounds of the castle present a drive, almost in a direct line, of about
two miles, with several others of great extent, all thrown open to the
public. Upon the lawn is a brass gun that belonged to the admiral's
ship Florida, one of the "Invincible armada," blown up in the
Tobermory bay in 1588, where she was forced to put in tlu-ough stress
of weather. The gun, which was taken from the bay, and is about ten
feet in length, is named the " Gunna-a-Cam," and is fired on certain
Loch Fyne terminates about nine miles from the town, and from the
fineness of its scenery and the richness of ; ts herrings, is justly re-
markable. The value of herrings taken out of the loch in a single
season, until within the last twenty or thirty years, frequently amounted
to £30,000, but of late years it has hardly yielded any, and the scarcity
is supposed to have been the results of trawling. In prosperous seasons
there were at times from three hundred to four hundred boats employed
at once on its waters. The loch is fifty miles long, and is about ten
broad below Loch Gilp, seldom, exceeding three above Otterferry. From
a convenient part of the town, and projecting from the shore, is a well-
built quay. In the town are two branch banks — one of the National
Bank of Scotland, Limited, the other of the Union Bank of Scotland,
Limited, and two good hotels and posting houses. A handsome stone
building, to be used as a coffee and reading room, has been erected at a
cost of upwards of £1,000, in memory of the late Elizabeth Sutherland,
Duchess of Argyll. There is daily communication with Glasgow
throughout the year, by means of steamers across Loch Fyne to St.
POST OFFICE, Inveraray, M. A. Rose, Post Mistress.— Letters arrive from Glasgow, Edinburgh, England, Ireland, &c. (via Dalmally) at
5 50 a.m. ; from Greenock (South mails) at 3 30 p.m., and from Ardrishaig, with local mails, at 9 30 p.m. Despatches for Lochgilphead and local
offices at 6 10 a.m. ; to Greenock, with all South and North letters, and St. Catherine's and Strachur bag at 10 30 a.m.; to Dalmally (general
mails) at 9 30 p.m. The office is open on Sundays, to callers only, from 9 to 11 p.m. "Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Minard, John Smith, Post Mas ter.— Letters arrive from all parts at 9 30 a.m., and are despatched at 7 30 a.m. Money
Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, St. Catherine's, A. Macallum, Post Master. — Letters arrive from all parts at 10 50 a.m. and 3 30 p.m., and are despatched
at 11 a.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Inveraray.
Post Office, Cladich, Donald Campbell, Post Master.— Letters arrive from all parts at 4 40 a.m., and are despatched at 11 40 p.m. The
naarest Money Order Office is at Inveraray.
Post Office, Furnace, James Munro, Post Master. — Letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 8 a.m.— Money Order and Telegraph
Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Dalmally, John Campbell, Post Master.— Letters arrive at 2 55 a.m., and are despatched at 7 a.m. Monty Order and
Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Catherine's, and also by MacBrayne's steam boats, which sail three
times a week.
Inveraray was erected into a burgh by charter, granted by Charles I.
in 1648, and its government is vested in a provost, two bailies, a dean of
guild, with eight councillors, a town clerk, and a treasurer. The burgh
unites with Campbeltown and Oban in this county, and with Ayr and
Irvine in Ayrshire, in sending one member to Parliament. The court
house and gaol, forming a substantial building of stone, is situate on
the shore, and has an imposing appearance when seen from the loch.
In it a sheriff's court is held every Friday from 15th January to 15th
March, from 3rd or 4th April to 31st July, and from 1st October to 15th
December, and quarter sessions on the first Tuesday in March, May,
August, and last Tuesday in October ; also a borough court occasionally.
On the esplanade may be seen a sculptured stone cross, supposed to
be of the date 1400 ; it is eight feet high, and bears the following in-
scription — "Haec est crux nobilium virorum, vidilicet, Dondcani Meic
Gyllichomghan, Patrici filii ejus, et Maelmore, filii Patrici, qui banc
crucem fieri faciebet." (This is the cross of the nobles, viz., Duncan
M'Comyn, Patrick his son, and Ludovick the son of Patrick, who caused
this cross to be erected.) The cross was brought from Iona. In a
garden near the church is a small obelisk, which marks the place of
execution, in the year 1G85, of some persons of the name of Campbell,
for preaching against the errors of the Romish church. A splendid
view can be had of the surrounding scenery from, the top of " Dun-
quiaich," which was in olden tunes a beacon or watch-tower, mentioned
in Sir "Walter Scott's novel, "The Legend of Montrose." The places of
worship are the Established church, a neat stone building, surmounted
by a spire, situated in the main street, and in which service is performed
both in Gaelic and English; an United Presbyterian church, erected in
1836, on land given by D. Paterson, Esq. ; a neat Free church, built in
1844, at the south end of the town ; and an Episcopalian church. There
are also Board schools here. About a mile and a half north-east of
Inveraray "is Glen-Shira, in length about six miles, the scenery through
which is exceedingly beautiful— presenting gently- sloping bills, whose
sides are clothed with wood and rich meadow land, intersected with
winding stream and lake (Duloch), the whole furnishing a landscape of
no ordinary beauty. Fairs for cattle are held at Inveraray on the last
Friday in May, and the last Thursday in October, and a wool market on
the third Friday in July. At Glenorchy, on third Wednesday in March,
and fourth Tuesday in November. Population of the borough in
1881, 864.
Cladich is a hamlet on Loch Awe, ten miles, north of Inveraray, and
in the united parish of Glenorchy and Inishail ; a road to the left leads
to Port Sonachan Ferry, three miles distant; crossing Loch Awe, by
which the distance to Bonaw and Oban is shortened ten miles; another
road from Cladich on the right leads to Dalmally, and round the head
of Loch Awe to Oban.
Dalmally, 16 miles n.e. of Inveraray, is beautifully situated near
the head of Loch Awe, and in the view of the vale of Glenorchy. The
parish church is situated on the road to Oban, a Free church is also
close by, and there is also a Board school. Loch- Awe is twenty-six
miles long and from one to half a mile broad ; its most attractive
scenery lies between here and Port Sonachan, the hills on each side
being thickly clothed with timber, and several small islands interspersed
on its surface. On a rock arc the fine old ruins of Kilehurn Castle,
supposed to have been built about 1440, by Sir Colin Campbell, the first
knight of Glenorchy. Since the opening of the new railway to Oban, in
connection with the Callander and Oban railway, a first-class station
has been erected here, and the Dalmally Hotel is situate within five
minutes' walk from the station.
At Furnace, about eight miles south of Inveraray, on the western
bank of Loch Fyne, are extensive granite quarries, leased and wrought
by Messrs. William Sim & Co.
Ainsworth — , Esq. of New Inverawe
Argyll His Grace the Duke of (Lord Lieutenant
of the county and High Sheriff), Inveraray
Black Mr. Donald, Clachan
Boyd Mr. D. M. Inveraray
Callender George F. W. Esq. .r.r. of Ardkin-
glas and Craigforth, Cairndow [nace
Campbell Archibald, Esq. j.p. Braleckan, Fur-
Campion George, Esq. Inveraray
Clarke Rev. John, Crarae, Minard
Oreighton Charles, Esq. tapper Sonachan
Dewar Duncan, Esq. White Cottage, Glenorchy
Douglas William, Esq. Inveraray
Dudley the Right Hon. the Earl of, Blackmount
Forest Lodge, Glenorchy
Gilmour Mr. Allan, of Sonachan House
Grant Captain — , of Sonachan House
Green Mr. Thomas, Inveraray
Grieve Mr. John, Castles, Glenorchy
Hamilton Mrs. Elizabeth, St. Catherine's
Kay John Cunliffe, Esq. of Cladich
Lawes John B. Esq. Craighouse, Glenorchy
Lloyd Thomas, Esq. of Minard
M'Allister Rev. Donald, Glenorchy [Inveraray
Macarthur John, Esq. j.p. of Barbeck and
M'Brayne J. B. Esq. of Glenbranter
Macdonald Francis R. Esq. m.d. Inveraray
M'Farlane Rev. Robert M. Manse, Glenorchy
Mackichan Rev. P. N. Manse, Inveraray
Maclullich J. C. Esq. Inveraray
M'Naughton Mr. Allan, Dalmally
MacPherson Rev. Neil, a.m. Inveraray
Mactaggart Robt. Esq. Auchadunan, Cairndow
Mactaggart Scipio, Esq. Inveraray
Meikle Rev. Gilbert, Inveraray
Muir Mr. W. C. Inveraray
Muir William, Esq. Innistrynich, Cladich
Paterson Robert, Esq. St. Catherine's
Robertson Peter, Esq. Craig Farm, Glenorchy
Robertson R. W. Esq. of Glenshelish
Rose Rev. Robert, a.m. Inveraray
Scholfield Rev. J. Faber, Inveraray
Sinclair Hugh, Esq. m.d. Inveraray [nachan
Thorp James, Esq. Ardbrickinsh, Port So-
Turncr Mr. Charles, Strongmaghachan
Wright Quintin Montgomery, Esq. Inveraray
Wyllie James, Esq. (chamberlain to His Grace
the Duke of Argyll), Inveraray
Board Schools : —
Bridge of Douglas— John M'Vean, master
Cairndow — John Brodie, master
Glenorchy— D. Johnston, master
Inishail— M. Maclaran, mistress
Inveraray— Henry Dunn Smith, m.a. master
Minard — George Nicholson, master
Newtown, Inveraray — Malcolm Macfarlan,
m.a. master
St. Catherine's — Edward W. Smith, master
Strathlachlan — Archibald Crawford, master
Gibson Barbara & Agnes, Craigins
Inveraray Public School Science Classes,
Church sq — Henry Dunn Smith, m.a. teacher
Newtown Public School Science Classes,
Inveraray — Malcolm Macfarlan, teacher
Societies' School, Glenary— John M'Arthur

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence