‹‹‹ prev (1303)

(1305) next ›››

Places of Worship,
and their ministers.
Established Churches:—
Falkirk.. .Rev. William Begg
Bothkennar...ReT. Wm. Stevenson
Camelon...Rev. John Oswald
Muiravonside...Rev. James M'Farlane
Polmont...Rev. John Kerr
Slamanan...Rev. Robert S. Home
Febe Churches : —
Falkirk. ..Rev. Lewis H. Irving
Polmont...Rev. James Boyd
Slamanan...Rev. William Eyvall
United Presbyterian Chapels —
West. ..Rev. George Wade
South. ..Rev. James Muir
East. ..(no regular minister)
Avon bridge... Rev. Andrew Dodds
Reformed Presbyterian Chapel,
Laurieston...Rev. Hugh Young
Baptist Chapel, Callander riggs
(ministers various)
Congregational Chapel, Bank st...
Rev. James M'Lean
Evangelical Union, Wilson's ball...
Rev. William Mitchell
Methodist Chapel, Redding...(minis
ters various)
Morrisonian Chapel, Slamanan
Roman Catholic Chapel, Hope st...
Rev. John M'Oonald, prie3t
Poor House and I»unatie
Asylum, park foot.
Governor.. .Adam M'Ewen
Matron... Ann Henderson
Surgeon... James Espie
Inspector.. John Beeby
Assembly Hall, Wilson's buildings
Corn Exchange, New Market st
County Police Office, Bank street...
William Shaw, superintendent
Gas Works, East Bridge st... George
Hislop, manager
Gas Works (Joint Stock), Grahamston
...Peter Watson, manager
Public Hall, Rankine's lane. ..John
Rankine, proprietor
Sheriff Clerk's Office, Bank st...
William Galbraith, sheriff clerk ;
Patrick Murdoch, sheriff clerk depute
Sheriff Court, Bank street.. .Robert
Robertson, Esq., sheriff substitute
Stamp Office, Burns's court. ..Jonn
Burns, sub-distributer
Subscription Library, Wilson's
buildings. ..James M'Farlane, librarian
Weights and Measures, High st...
H. W. Cochran, inspector and stamper
for the burgh
Conveyance by Railway,
Stations, at Falkirk. ..Matthew Paton,
statiou master; and at Polmont
Station, at Falkirk. ..Charles Johnston |
station master
Omnibuses await the arrival and attend !
the departure of the trains
Statiun, about a quarter of a mile from
Slamanan John Crocket, station
To GRANGEMOUTH, a Coach, twice
a day
To GLASGOW, Isabella Gillespie, from
Kerse lane, daily
To STIRLING, William Binnie, from
Callander riggs. Tuesday and Friday ;
and William M'Farlane, from Gowau
avenue, Wednesday and Saturday
J.S a manufacturing village in the pai'^h of its name,
41 miles from Edinburgh and 15 from Stirling?; plea-
santly situate north of the Campsie Fells, and admirably
calculated for a seat of manufactures from its healthful
site and the abundant supply of water ; the deficiency
of coal, however, is a formidable obstacle to the estab-
lishment of works of magnitude, the nearest point
from which this indispensable article can be obtained
being at the distance of at least eight miles. The
Culcreuch cotton mills, which employ a great number
of hands, are the most extensive works ia operation in
this neighbourhood. Both the Endrick and the Carron
rivers have their sources in this district, and in then-
course through it form seveial romantic falls, among
which the celebrated ' Loup of Finery,' a ca'aract of
the Endrick descending ninety-one feet, is within the
parish, and is particularly worthy of being visited.
Near the village of Fintiy is a hill called 'the Dun,' on
which is a superb range of perpendicular basaltic co-
lumns, some fifty feet in length ; among these may be
observed several without any apparent instertices or
joints ; altogether they form an ai tractive object.
POST OFFICE, Elizabeth Freeland, Post Mistress.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Glasgow)
every morning at nine, and are despatched thereto at twelve, noon.
Dun William, Esq. of Craigton
Higgins John Stewards, school-
master, Fintry
Nichol James, master of the
parochial school, and registrar of
births, deaths, and marriages,
Service Robert, Esq. Fintry
SinipsonMr. James, surgeon, Fintiy
Smith Rev. Win Grierson, Fintry
Speirs A. G. Esq. of Culcreuch
Cowan Andrew, Spittlehill
Cowan Peter, Lurg
Dobbie John, Jaw
Dunn William, of Craigton
Jardine James, Killevvnan
Jardine John, Bogside
M'Gilchrist Andrew, Knockreoch
Norris Peter, Todholes
Todd John, Binns
Callender John, joiner
Duncan George, woollen yam spin-
ner and dyer
Duncan John, shopkeeper
Gourlay George, boot & shoe maker
Hutton James, blacksmith
Kay George & Son, tailors
M'AUum Peter, shopkeeper
M'Gilchrist David, tailor & clothier
Martin Janet, vintner
Scott John, joiner
Service Robert, manager of the Cul-
creuch Spinning Mill
Simpson James, inspector of poor
Stevenson — , baker
Stewart Ann (Clachan Inn)
Stewart Ann, shopkeeper
Stewart Archibald, cattle dealer
Stewart Duncan, shoe maker
The nearest Station is at CAMPSIE,eight
miles from Fintry
ToGLASGOW,Jonn Leckie,occasionally
Xs a very busy and thriving sea port, in the parish of consists of collector, comptroller, two clerks, two
Falkirk, 3 miles from that town, 27 from Edinburgh, landing waiters, one tide surveyor, and twelve tide
and 25 from Glasgow ; it is situated on the Frith of waiters and boatmen, besides extra tide waiters. The
Forth, at the junction of the river Canon with the Commercial and Royal Banks have branches here.
Forth and Clyde canal. The formation of this place There are two good school houses, one erected by the
was commenced in 1777, by the late Sir Lawrence Dun- Earl of Zetland, to which a library is attached, the
tlas, for the accommodation of the shipping passing other built by subscription. The Earl of Zetland Hotel
through the canal to and from the Clyde and Glasgow, is an excellent commercial and posting house, it is in
of which it is the natural eastern port. It is now a place the occupation of Mr. Wallace. The wet dock opened
of great importance, and displays the enterprise of the inl843 affording room for nearly20,000 tonsof shipping,
British merchant in an eminent degree by its numerous ; being found too small for the trade, a very large
and commodious quays, granaries, and warehouses for j dock was added in 185y. The giowth of the port is no
goods, and its capacious wet docks and basins for tim- doubt attributable to the very moderate rate of charges,
ber. It has also ship-building yards, a graving dock, I which are only twopence per ton register on the ves-
bonded stores and timber yards; rope and sail making sel, and one penny per ton on general goods, as well
is extensively carried on, and their are saw mills and as to the facilities for vessels of the largest tonnage to
and large collieries adjacent. The customs depaument enter the docks. The canal rates of toll are also low,
1234 vo

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence