‹‹‹ prev (1549)

(1551) next ›››

Incorporated hy Act of Parliamertit.
The annual income of the Fund is for the main-
tenance and promotion of Religious Ordinances, and
Education, and Missionary operations, in the first
instance in the County of Ayr, Stewartry of Kirk-
cudbright, and Counties of Wigtown, Lanark, Renfrew,
and Dumbarton ; by means of payments for the
erection or support of Churches and Schools (except-
ing Parish Churches and Parish Schools) in connection
•with Quoad Sacra Churches belonging to the
Established Church, and with the Free Church, the
United Presbyterian Church, the Reformed Presby-
terian Church, and the Congregational or Independent
Church, all in Scotland, or any of them ; or in
supplement of the stipends of the Ministers of the
said Quoad Sacra, and the other four Churches, and in
supplement of the salaries of Religious Missionaries
and Teachers of Schools of the said Quoad Sacra,
and the other four Churches ; and for forming and
maintaining Libraries for the use of the general
public — such Missionaries, Schools, and Libraries
being under the management of members in full
communion with one or other of the said five Churches.
Office of the trustees, 94 Bath Street.
Chairman, W. S. Workman, Esq.; treasurer, Alex.
Lamberton, Esq. (Messrs. J. Gray & Co.), Adelpbi
Terrace, s. s., or c/o James Brown, 76 St Vincent
Street ; secretaries, R. W. Henry, 62 Kelvingrove St.,
George A. Turner, M.D., 1 Clifton Place, Rev. W.
Arnott, 27 Roslea Drive.
The London Missionary Society was founded in
1795 to spread the knowledge of Christ among
heathen and other unenlightened nations. It is en-
tirely unsectarian ; its fundamental principle being
" not to send Presbyterianism, Independency, Epis-
copacy, or any other form of church order and
government, but the glorious Gospel of the blessed
God to the heathen, leaving it to the minds of the
persons whom God may call into the fellow^hip of
His Son from among them, to assume for themselves
such form of church government as to them shall
appear most agreeable to the Word of God." A large
staff of male and female missionaries, drawn from the
various evangelical denominations at home, and a
much larger staff of trained native ministers and
teachers, carry on its work in Africa, India, China,
Polynesia, &c. The annual meetings of the Glasgow
Auxiliary take place in the third week of November,
each year.
This mission was instituted in October, 1884, in
connection with the Northern Evangelistic work in
a most populous and destitute district of the city. Dis-
pensary Mission Hall, Cowcaddens Free Church, open
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, at 2 p.m. Free
advice and medicine given to the deserving poor : visits
made where necessary.
President, Rev. Wilham Ross, 42 Windsor terrace ;
secretary, Mr. P. M'B. Stewart, 284 St. George's
road; treasurer, James Cairns, 124 Sauchiehall st.;
Medical officer, Alexander Muir Smith, M.D.
Instituted 1859. Halls erected 1865 ; extension 1895.
Trustees, Jas. A. Campbell, Esq., LL.D., M.P.,
Stracathro ; William Holmes, Esq., Edinburgh ;
J. W. M'Gill, Esq., Manchester; Robert Boyd,
Esq., A. A. Fergusson, Esq., Hugh Steven, Esq.,
Sir James Bell, Bart., W. A. Campbell, Esq., Sir
James King, Bart., George Smith, Esq., John A,
Roxburgh, Esq.; hon. president, Robert Boyd, Esq.,
53 Cochrane St. ; general superintendent, T. A. Boyd,
Esq., Shettleston Iron Works; superintendent and
secretary, Mr. E. J. Mitchell, Grove Street Institute ;
hon. treasurer, John S. Galbraith, Esq., writer, 69 St.:
Vincent Street.
Grove Street Institute is an unsectarian home
mission organization, having halls built by public sub-
scription at a cost of over £10,000, and situated on the
margin of one of the most densely populated districts
of the city. It is entirely depeudeat on voluntary
contributions, and requires £1000 per annum to main-
tain its work. In addition to the Evangehstic,
Medical Mission, Benevolent, and Temperance work,
it has departments for fathers, mothers, working-
lads, young women, and children — its agencies thus
reaching whole families. It has been in operation for
thirty-seven years as an auxiliary to the churches of all
denominations, with resultsiwhich prove the soundness
of its principles of mission work, and the great value
of organization.
Institute, 162 Port-Dundas Road.
To promote the social, moral, and religious welfare
of canal boatmen and their families. The means
employed are — preacliing the gospel in the Institute
and in the open air ; the promotion of Sabbath
schools; the establishment of mothers' meetings,
penny banks, temperance societies, and bands of
hope ; the circulation of books, tracts, copies of the
scriptures, and general visitation. President, Leonard
Gow, Esq. ; vice-presidents, Major F. W. Allan and
Bailie William Eilsland; directors. Rev. George G.
Green, M.A,, Richard Gunn, Rev. J. Hay, M.A.,
Councillor John King, Wm. Cameron, Thos. Jenkins,
A. A. Dick, John M. Macleod, Leonard Gow, jr.,
Thomson M'Lintock, William Sproat, George Stout,
James Wilson, George Sutherland, Alexander W.
Miller; treasurer, T. M. M'Crindell, 24 George
Square ; secretary, John Turnbull, jun., 133 St. Vin-
cent Street ; superintendent, William H. Gilbert, 21
Windsor Street. Bankers, the Commercial Bank of
Scotland, Gordon Street.
Objects — Visiting and reclaiming the non-church-
going of the city.
Organization — All the evangelical churches of the
city willing to associate and work on recognized lines.
Method — City divided into eight sections, each
section subdivided for congregational endeavours.
General Council: — (80 members) Rev. Dr. W. Ross
Taylor, president ; James M'Michael and Alexander
Lamberton, Esq., Ku-kton House, Pollokshield?,
vice-presidents; K. D. M'Ewan, Esq., 22 Montrose
Street, treasurer ; P. B. Bryce, 46 Hutcheson Street,

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence