ADDENDA — MURTHILL. \4'6
It. Three pair of old sheets for mending the rest, qch she is to compt for.
It. Two cupboard table cloaths.
In another but incomplete inventory, dated 1st November 1709, the first and
second entries give a detail, but imperfectly, owing to the manuscript being con.
siderably defaced, of wearing apparel, thus : —
ten fyne schirts wt . . course shirts . . seven pair of stockens, witli
. . pair of silk ones and a pair of cotton ones.
my ladies cloaths, eight fyne shirts, eight course ones, eight hand kirchiffs, six
aprons and tua tueeling ones, four busten west coats, six soot [suits] of night-
cloaths, six soot of piners and a combing cloath, three hoods .
ADDENDA TO THE TEXT.
0i\lttf> tU . — (To follow page 273 J
This property, which lies in the parish of Tannadice,* was also
owned by Lindsays at an early period. The omission of Murthill
in its proper place arose from our inability to identify it at the
time with any lands in the county. This was owing to the
metamorphosed form in which it appears both in Robertson's
Index and in the Great Seal, where it is severally written
" Murletyre," and " Murlettre." Since printing the sheet in
which the account of this estate should have appeared, the writer
has been favoured with an extract from a notice of it which
occurs in the Harleian MSS. in the British Museum, where it
bears the less obscure form of " Murethlyn."
According to the Great Seal Register, Sir John Lindsay of
Thuirstown acquired this property from John Wallays of Kicar-
ton in the Mearns, in the year 1329. It was held under the
superiority of the Crown ; and Lindsay's charters being among
those which were destroyed by the conflagration of the monastery
of Fale, he had these renewed according to the following finding
of the assise : — " At a sheriff's court of the King's tenants of
Forfarshire, held at Perth on the 21st July, in the thirty-first of
David II. (1360), it was found by an assise that the writs which
Sir John Lindsay, Knight, had of the lands of Murethlyn, in
the sheriffdom of Forfar, were totally burned in the sudden fire
of the monastery of Fale ; and that the said Sir John held these
lands of the King in capite for the service of one bowman in the
« In a bounding charter of the Feme writs, among the Caraldstone papers, the hill of
St. Arnold's Seat, in this parish, (at sup., n. p. 273) is named " St. Eunand's Seit."