Hatton House ('Argile House')

While John, Duke of Lauderdale, lived at Thirlestane Castle (until 1682), his brother, Charles, lived in Hatton House. In the 1719 edition of Theatrum Scotiae, this prospect was wrongly named 'Argile House'.

Charles became 3rd Earl of Lauderdale on his brother's death in 1682. The house was demolished in 1955, three years after it was damaged by fire.

This plate was intended for Slezer's unpublished volume, The Ancient and Present state of Scotland. It was not included in Theatrum Scotiae until the 1719 edition.

Previous   |   Index   |   Next

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving

enquiries / copies


See also:

Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery