(69) Plate XXXII/a
- Webpage text file (htm, 4kb)
- B&W composite text file (pdf, 65kb)
- Medium image file (1000px) (jpg, 57kb)
Thumbnail gallery: Grid view | List view
THE Cathedral Church of
Saint Andrews on the coast of Fifeshire was formerly the seat of
the Primate of
Scotland. The original name of the city was Mucross, or "The Promontory of the Boars."—When
Regulus landed here with some relicts of the apostle Andrew, he changed it first to Kilrymont, then
to Kilrule, (perhaps from Cella-Reguli), by which name it is still known among the Highlanders. This
name continued, until the Picts were extirpated by the Scots, when it was called Saint Andrews.
About the end of the
fourth century, there was a chapel built by king Hergustus in honor
and called Saint Rule. The square tower and also some of the walls are still seen. The tower is about
one hundred and eight feet high, and twenty feet square, and has no spire. The arches both of the doors
and windows are semicircular: it has been skilfully repaired within these few years, and been roofed, in
order to keep out the wet.
When the present name was
first given to this place, the metropolitan church was translated
Abernethy. There was also a Priory; and the wall, which surrounded it, is still remaining: it has bastions
at certain distances, some round and others square: parts also of the Priors and Sub-priors houses are yet
extant. Adjoining the Priory are the ruins of the Cathedral. This church was founded in 1161, but not
completed till 1318, and was in the highest preservation till the fury of one of Knox's mobs demolished it.
Both the towers at the east end are still remaining, and one at the west. The arches in the eastern towers
are semicircular, those in the western are pointed. The length of the building is three hundred and fifty
feet from E. to W. the width one hundred and sixty feet from N. to S.—"A foreigner," says Pennant,
"ignorant of the history of this country, would naturally inquire, what calamity has this city undergone?
Has it suffered a bombardment from some barbarous enemy? Has it not like Lisbon felt the more inevita-
ble fury of an earthquake? But how great is the horror in reflecting, that this destruction was owing to
the more barbarous zeal of a minister, who by his discourses first inflamed, and then permitted, a furious
crowd to overthrow edifices, dedicated to that Being he pretended to honor by their ruin. The Cathe-
dral was the labour of one hundred and sixty years; a building, that did honor to the country; yet in June
1559 John Knox effected its destruction in a single day." This view was made in 1800.
Set display mode to: Universal Viewer | Mirador | Large image | Transcription
Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated.
|Scotia depicta > (69) Plate XXXII/a|
|Description||Plate XXXII: Saint Andrews [description].|
|Attribution and copyright:||