Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (151) Page 147Page 147

(153) next ››› Page 149Page 149

(152) Page 148 -
Hillhead High School
he went alone under heavy shell fire to the aid post." A brother-officer describing
another of his gallant deeds says, " John Harper (who is likely to get his D.S.O.
for his work) went out time after time in the teeth of a whirlwind of machine gun fire
right up to the German trenches and carried in the wounded on his broad back."
These incidents, and many more could be cited, are typical of the man who was by
nature cast in a heroic mould. The adjutant of the regiment writes, " It was his
greatest pride that he never once left one of our wounded in the trenches or in ' No
Man's Land ' when the battalion was relieved, and, as 80 per cent, of this battalion's
casualties occurred in ' No Man's Land,' this is a most wonderful record." Colonel
Harold Barron, A.D.M.S., 17th Division, testifies, " He had earned the respect and
admiration of us all through his continued gallantry and devotion to duty and his
of bearing. We have lost one that we are proud to have called a friend."
Private, Glasgow Highlanders
Private A. M. Hart, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hart, 154 Queen's Drive, Queen's
Park, Glasgow, was born in Antigua, British West Indies, in 1888. He was educated
at Larchfield Academy and Hillhead High School. On leaving school he entered an
office in Glasgow, but at the end of two years he left for Antigua, where his father
had important business interests. Like so many more of our gallant boys, he could
not remain in safety and security abroad while his countrymen at home were fighting
for existence and for all that makes life worth living. Early in 1915, therefore,
he came home, and enlisted as a private in the Glasgow Highlanders. After a period
of training he went to France, and fell in the fierce fight of 15th July, 1916, which
proved fatal to so many gallant Highlanders. The School will ever cherish the
memory of his lofty patriotism and his devoted self-sacrifice.
Private, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)
Private Roy D. Harvey was the elder son of Mrs. Harvey, 57 Ancaster Drive,
Glasgow. He entered School in 1898, and left in 1915, when he removed to Bears-
den. At School he is remembered as a reserved, thoughtful boy, who at all times set
before himself and acted up to a high ideal of conduct. He was noted for his
thoroughness, accuracy, and precision, and took a good place in all his classes. On
leaving School he began business in the coal export trade, but on his father's death
he left to manage his business at 398 Byres Road. During the earlier part of the
war he was prevented from enlisting by a physique which fell below the standard then
required. The time came when military exigencies led to a lowering of the standard,
and Roy met the call with alacrity and relief. After the usual period of training he
left for France in October, 1917. He came safely through the fiercely contested
Battle of Cambrai, but soon afterwards was invalided home with trench fever. He
returned to France in the spring of 1918, and shared the dangers and hardships of
that trying time. Three days after the sweeping British advance on the 8th August,
in a gallant and successful attack by his battalion, the 5/6th Royal Scots, he was
struck by a bullet, and killed instantaneously. A Canadian who found his body was
the first to send home the sad news. It was quite characteristic of Roy that in his
pocket were found a diary written up to 10th August, the day before he fell, and a

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence