Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (37)

(39) next ›››

(1) Richard, Agent to 'Lloyd's, Mayor of Penzance five
times, b. Tredinny 22 Nov. 17'J2, d. Chapel-street,
Penzance, 23 Aug. 18G2, bur. St. Mary's Churchyard,
29 Aug., m. Truro 17 July 182b, Sarah only dau. of
Henry Penneck, M n., by Sarah Pidwell. She was b.
Penzance 20 Nov. 1795, d. Penzance 5 Mch. 1863.
Their children were —
i Richard Henry, b. || 22 Nov. 1832, d. || 17 May 1S33.
i Lydia Penneclc b. Penzance 24 Apl. 1827 (her
sponsors were Thomas Clutterbuek of Truro her
great uncle, Ann Pearce her great great aunt, and
Lionel Ripley her uncle). She m. 2.5 June 1853
Richard Quiller Couch, eldest son of Jonathan and
Clara Couch, b. Polperro 12 Mch. 1817, d. Pen-
zance 8 May ) 803, by whom she had Maria Jane
b. Penzance 28 May 1854; Sarah Lydia b. Pen-
zance 21 Mch. 1850; Richard Pearce b. Penzance
25 June 1858; Margaret Quiller b. Penzance 17
March 1860.
ii Maiy Jones b. || 9 Dec. 1831, d. || 27 Jan. 1832.
iii Margaret Gilford b. Penzance 6 Jan. 1834, d. 1834.
iv Maria Jones (twin sister of iii) b. || 6 Jan. 1834,
bap. 25 Nov. 1835, being the day of the opening
of St. Mary's Church, Penzance (her sponsors
were W. Arundel Harris Arundel of Lifton Park,
her father's second cousin, and Mary Bennett of
Bath, her grandfather Penneck's first cousin). She
m. 186 — James Jago, M.D. of Truro, son of John
Jngo. He was b. Kegilliack in Budock 18 Dec.
1815. Their children are Margaret b. Truro 1866:
Jane b. Truro 1868 ; a son h. Truro 15 Dec. 1873,
d. 19 Dec. 1873.
(2) John Jones Pearce was b. at Tredinney, Burvan, 15
Apl. 1795, entered the Royal Navy in 1804, was
gazetted Lieutenant 1814, and on the conclusion of
peace was placed on half pay. Being desirous of em-
ployment he took" the command of the " Tulloch Castle"
and traded backwards and forwards to and from the
West Indies and London. From over exertion in the
discharge of his duty in 1823 at Kingston, Jamaica, he
fell into a consumption, from the effects of which he
never recovered. In 1831 he finally left the sea, and
retiring to his native county took up his residence at
Burlton Castle. Newlvn. It was here during the
terrible outbreak of cholera which devastated Newlyn in
1832 when so many persons ran away from the danger,
that he and his wife remained at their post, aidingtheir
neighbours by their precept and example, and adminis-
tering to their wants with money, food and medicine
to the utmost of their means. During the remaining
months of his life he was quite an invalid, the con-
sumptive symptoms returning with great violence. It
was during one of his rides that in passing Hen Moor,
Madron, he was particularly struck with a view of the
mount from a plot of ground belonging to Mr. Ratten.
It was not long before he made up his mind on the mat-
ter. He purchased the ground, and commenced building
himself a house, afterwards known asPolmenna ; he did
not, however, live to inhabit it, for after much
suffering, he died at Burlton Castle 10 July 1833, and
was interred in the burial ground at the east end of
Madron Church 13 July, where a tombstone has been
erected to his memory. He married Anna Maria
Henrietta eldest child of Henry Boase and Anne
Craige, who was b. at No. 1, Knightsbridge, London,
opposite the Chapel, on Monday morning 18 Jan. 1796,
and was privately bapt. by the Rev. John Townshend on
Thursday 4 Feb." She was educated at the Misses
Babington's School, Sloane street, Chelsea, and joined
her parents at Penzance in 1811. She took a con-
siderable share in the education of her sisters, and was
for some years a companion to her father. On the 20
Nov. 1 S 2 1 , she was married at Madron by the Rev.
George Treweeke to Lieut. John Jones Pearce, R.N.
From 1825 to 1831, during her husband's voyages to
the West Indies, she resided at Greenwich. A few
months after his decease, she removed from Burlton
Castle to Polmenna, a country house which her hus-
band during his life had commenced building. Some
time after, in 1835, she erected another house on an
adjacent plot of ground. In 1S36 she and her family
joined the. C. A. Church. She left Polmenna in 1845,
and went to Dundee, first residing at No. 1, then at
No. 2, Nelson street, afterwards at '67, Constitution
road, and No. 2, King street. She now, 1876, lives at
Eden grove, Arbroath road. In 186 — she sold both
her houses at Polmenna for the sum of £1600, although
the land and the buildings had cost upwards of £2,500.
She enjoys a Lieutenant's widow's pension from the
Admiralty. Her children were —
i John Jones b. Hlackhoath, Kent, 12 Oct. 1822, bap.
at Lea, d. Alverne Hill, Penzance 5 Mch 1823, bur.
St. Mary's churchyard,
ii Henry Jones Pearce b. Wellington place, Tenzance
14 July fS2J, bap. by the Rev. M. N. Peters, at St.
Mary's on the 6 Aug. He was placed under the Rev.
George Morris, at the Penzance Grammar School,
where he remained from 1835 to 1839. In 1S40 he
took a situation in the Western District Bank at
Penzance and remained with that firm ami with their
successors Messrs. Ricketts, Enthoven, and Co. until
April 1844. He then went to Dundee, where after
sometime he joined Alexander Brown Glenday
(previously a clerk in the Dundee Bank) in a
shipping business, but this not proving profitable, he
in Nov. 184S entered the banking house of Messrs.
Ransom and Co., No. 1, Pall Mall East, London. Here
he got on very well, and would, if he had remained,
have been high in the office, as within a very few
years the whole of the staff with the one exception
of Mr. Cox the cashier died or left the establishment;
but hearing of a vacancy in the Dundee Bank which
he thought would suit him, and being desirous of
being near his mother, he left London in Sep. 1S50
and joined the Dundee Bank in the same month.
There he continued until 3 1 March 1862, when he and
his brother William Alfred Pearce under the name of
Pearce Bros., took over the Lilly bank foundry, which
W. A. Pearce had previously conducted with William
Wylie Neish under a five years partnership which
expired at this time. This establishment they still
carry on.
iii William Alfred Pearce was b. at Park Row, Green-
wich, 13 May 1826, and bap. at St. Alphage,
Greenwich, June 1826. He was educated from
1840-41. at Penair House Academy, Penzance,
then under the management of the late Mr. John
Barwis. In 1841, he was sent to Tuckingmill and
placed under the care of Mr. John Phillips to learn
mechanical drawing, and at the 1842 Exhibition of
the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society he obtained
a prize for a drawing of a stationary steam engine.
After this, in May 1843, he proceeded to Dundee,
and there bound himself an apprentice for five
years to Messrs. Kinmonds Hutton, and Steele,
Wallace Fouudry, where he practically learnt the
business of machine making in all its various details.
On the expiration of his apprenticeship, he worked
as a journeyman for some months, then entered the
Drawing Office of Messrs. Fawcett, Preston and Co.,
engineers, Liverpool, from which he obtained the
situation of chief draughtsman with Messrs. Martin
Samuelson and Co., Hull, where he remained a year,
and then seeing no prospect of advancement or im-

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence