Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (22)

(24) next ›››

practice as a physician at Penzance, but the profession was
so very uncongenial to his taste that he gave it up after a
very short trial. He next turned his attention to Geology,
and in 1822 was appointed Secretary to the Royal Geologi-
cal Society of Cornwall in succession to Mr. John Forbes,
M.D. (afterwards Sir John Forbes) which place he held
until 1829. His first paper in this science was "On
the Tin Ore of Botallack and Levant," read at the annual
meeting in Oct 1822. During 1829-31 he was employed in
ascertaining the nature and boundaries of the Cornish rocks
in order that their geographical relation might be accurately
delineated in a map. On this work he employed two years
and walked 1200 miles, visiting every part of Cornwall and
collecting specimens of the rocks, which were deposited in
the Geological Museum at Penzance, and form a very
valuable series. An account of the journey (with a coloured
geological map of Cornwall on the scale of 5 miles to an
inch) was published in the Geological Transactions, iv.
166-474. The Geological notices of the Cornish parishes
in Davies Gilbert's History of Cornwall as well as in many
of the more modern histories are taken from this account.
In 1834 he published "A treatise on Primary Geology"
a book which still holds its place as a standard work.
During some years of the period already spoken of he
had been a partner in the Penzance Union Bank, with
which establishment he remained connected until its dissol-
ution in Apl 1838. In 1837 he removed to London and
took up his residence in Burton Crescent, and on the 4 May
of the same year was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society.
In 1S38 he left London and went to Dundee when he
became managing partner in the firm of Turnbull Brothers,
of the Claverhouse Bleachfield; in connection with these
works in 1855 he took out a patent for " Improvements in
the process of drying organic substances." More recently
the Messrs. Turnbull having died and Dr. Boase and his
second son having the larger share in the business, the firm
has become Messrs. Boase & Co. InApl. 1870 Dr. Boase came
into Dundee to reside, and in 1871 retired from taking any
active share in the business. He has published " The
Philosophy of Nature 1860 " and "An Essay on Human
Nature 1865." For an account of his other writings see
Bibl. Cornub. i, 29-30. He m. at Madron 11 Deer. 1824
Elizabeth Valentina, eld. dau. of Will, and Mary Stoddard ;
of his issue of ten children we shall now speak of, (a)
Henry, (A) Alfred, (e) Arthur, (d) John, (c) Samuel.
(a) Henry Boase, eld. child of H. S. Boase of Claver-
house, was b. Chapel St. Penzance, 5 Oct 1825, and privately
bapt, by the Rev. C. V. Le Grice. At an early age he was
adopted by his great uncle Mr. Robert Richards of The
Thorns, Alverton, Penzance, with whom he resided many
years. He was first educated at the Grammar School, Pen-
zance, under the Rev. George Morris, and afterwards at
The High School, Dundee, and then took a situation under
Messrs. Turnbull Brothers, at the Claverhouse Bleach
Field. There he remained until 1 Jan 1865, when in conjunc-
tion with Mr. George Ireland he became the purchaser of the
Wellfield Works, Lillybank, where under the firm of Ireland
and Boase they became Flax and Jute spinners and manu-
facturers of hessians, tarpaulings, sacking, etc. On the death
of Mr. Ireland on the 4 Dec 1871 H. Boase purchased from
his Trustees the other moiety of the business, becoming by
this transaction sole proprietor of the works. Mr. Robert
Richards dying 11 Nov. 1844, H. Boase became owner of
The Thorns, fenzance, subject to the life interest of
Miss Richards, and on the decease of that lady, 20 Feb. 1862,
he sold that property by auction. He m. 15 Sep. 1853 at
Clepington near Dundee, Mary, third dau. of James Thorns
by his wife Margaret Jobson, and has issue.
(b) Alfred Boase, second son of H. S. Boase, was born at
Penzance 20 July 1829, and privately bapt. by the Rev. W.
W. Harvey. After being educated at Penzance and at the
High School, Dundee, he in the year 1845 entered the ser-
vice of the Messrs. Richard and Henry Green, shipowners of
Blackwall, as a midshipman, and in that capacity made
several voyages to the East Indies, Australia and other
places. In 1852 the state of his health obliged him to leave
the sea, and he entered the Claverhouse Bleach fields
(Messrs. Turnbull Brothers) then under his father, as
managing Partner, to learn the bleaching business ; in course
of time he rose to be acting manager, and when in the year
1870 Dr. Boase retired from the direction of the works,
Alfred became sole manager with a share in the business,
the firm consisting of H. S. Boase and Alfred Boase under
the name of " Boase & Co., Yarn millers and calenderers,
Claverhouse Bleach field, Trottick mills and St. Andrew's
street Dundee." He m. 7 May 1853, at Falmouth, his first
cousin, Ellen Bradley, eldest dau. of William Millett Boase,
M.D. and has issue.
(r) Arthur Boase, third son of H. S. Boase, was b. Pen-
zance 2 1 June 1833, and privately bapt. by the Rev. Thos.
Vyvyan. He was educated at Glenalmond College, Perth-
shire, but his health soon commenced failing and he died of
consumption at Claverhouse, Dundee, 8 July 1852, and was
buried in the church yard at Mains.
(&) John Boase, fourth son of H. S. Boase, was b. Burton
Crescent, London, 4 Nov 1 837, and bap. St. Paul's Dundee
1838. After being educated at Glenalmond College he
entered the establishment of the Messrs. Veitch, Horticul-
turists, Exeter, to learn ornamental and scientific garden-
ing, but after studying for some years and finding no open-
ing for his labour in England, he sailed for New Zealand
where he died of fever at Christ Church 6 Feb. 1865. He
m. June 1863 Sarah Jane Knowles and had issue.
fej Samuel Steddard Boase, fifth son of H. S. Boase, was
b. Claverhouse 19 May 1847. After being educated at
Glenalmond College he entered the Lillybank Foundry
under his cousins, Pearce Brothers, to learn machine
making and mechanical drawing. However in 1870 seeing
an opportunity of entering into business he in Dec, in
conjunction with Patrick Spence Mudie, son of R. A. Mudie,
shipowner, Dundee, took the Hank Mill works, where he
now carries on jute spinning, &c, under the firm of Boase
and Mudie. He m. at Newcastle-on-Tyne 6 June 1872
Elizabeth, second dau. of James Spence, ship-agent.
John J. A. Boase.
John Josias Arthur Boase, second son of Henry Boase,
was b. 23 June 1801 at No. 6 Knightsbridge, London, and
privately bapt. by the Rev. John Townshend on 30 July.
He was first educated at Messrs. Watsons' School at 32
Sloane street, and afterwards at the Tiverton Grammar
School (then under the Mastership of Dr. Richards) from
Aug. 1809 to Christmas 1814. He then, after accompanying
his younger brother Charles William for a short time to the
Grammar School, Helston, was placed in the Bank of
Messrs. Batten, Carne and Came at Penzance where he
remained until Midsummer 1817. His father now sent him
to France, and during a residence of fifteen months at St.
Pol de Leon in Brittany he obtained a good knowledge of
the French language. On returning to England in Sep.
1818, he the following Christmas entered the banking-house
of Messrs. Ransom and Co London where he staid until
May 1824. He then after spending six months on the
continent went down to Penzance and took an active part
in the recently established Bank of Messrs. Henry Boase,
Sons & Co., which consisted of his father Mr. Henry Boase,
his brother Mr. H. S. Boase, Mr Trevenen James and
himself, and was called The Penzance Union Bank.
However on 30 Dec. 1831 Mr. Trevenen James retired
and soon after Mr George Grenfell and his son Mr Pascoe
Grenfell joined the firm, which then took the name of

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence