Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (87)

(89) next ››› Illustrated plateIllustrated plateLate William Denny, Dumbarton

(88) Number 16 -
Eldest son of William Denny, shipbuilder, Woodyard, Dumbarton,
builder of the first sea-going steamer, "Marjory;" born 1814;
educated at Dumbarton, along with six brothers, all destined to aid
in developing the shipbuilding trade of the country. For several
years previous to 1843, Mr. Denny, and his brother Alexander,
designed almost all the iron steamers built on Clyde, amongst which
were those so well known in their day as the " Lady Brisbane,"
" Lady Kelburn," " Pioneer," etc. etc., also many coasting and ocean
steamers. Mr. William Denny, in 1843, formed the firm of Denny
Brothers, which, in 1849, was changed to William Denny and
Brothers, and ably availing himself of the introduction of iron for
purposes of shipbuilding, conducted the business with marked success
and ability till his untimely death in 1854, at the comparatively early
ace of forty. Mr. Denny was the first to be interred in the new
cemetery, the formation of which he had done so much to promote,
and a granite obelisk, bearing a suitable inscription, is there erected
as a memorial of esteem by his workmen. Like other members of
his family, Mr. Denny took much interest in the comfort of those he
employed, and chiefly for their accommodation built the new suburb
of Dennystown, the foundation stone of which was laid with masonic
honours 20th May, 1853. Mr. Denny married Mary Cumming,
and left with other issue two sons, William, who died 1877, and
John, engineer, surviving.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence