Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (389) Page 307Page 307DAL

(391) next ››› Page 309Page 309

(390) Page 308 -
pictures is one of ' The Fair,' or ' Bonny Earl of
Murray,' as he is commonly called, who was mur-
dered at Donibristle. See Dalgety. There is also a
portrait of Queen Mary, disguised, by way of a frolic,
in boy's clothes, — in long scarlet stockings, black
velvet coat, black kilt, white sleeves, and a huge ruff.
DARNICK. See Dernock.
DARNLEY. See Eastwood.
DARUEL (The), a stream in the district of
Cowal, Argyleshire, which has its rise at the hill of
Barnish, and, after a course of some miles through
Glendaruel, falls into the head of Loch Striven, op-
posite the north end of Bute.
DARVAL. See Derval.
DAVAR ISLE. See Campbellton.
DAVEN (Loch), a small sheet of water in the
parish of Logie-Coldstone in Aberdeenshire. It is
situated on the south-western border of the parish, I
and is about 2J miles in circumference. It is formed
by three rivulets, two of which partly bound the
parish, and a third, from its north-western extremity
passes through it to the north-east of Broom-hill,
where it forms another still smaller loch than the
Daven, before falling into the latter. It abounds
with pike, some of them of a very large size.
DAVID'S (St.), a village in the parish of Dalgety,
on the north coast of the Firth of Forth, 2 miles easf
of In verkeithing, and the same distance west of Aber-
dour. It carries on a considerable manufacture ot
salt, and exports an immense quantity of coal. See
DAVIOT — commonly pronounced David — a
parish in the district of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, 19
miles north-west from Aberdeen. It is bounded on
the north by Fy vie parish ; on the east by Fy vie, Old
Meldrum, and Bourtrie parishes ; on the south and
south-east by part of Chapel of Garioch parish ; and
on the north-east by Ryne parish. Its boundaries
are principally natural, being defined by the courses
of rivulets, the largest one of which, on the eastern
side, is joined by various tributaries from the neigh-
bouring parishes, and runs southwards to the river
Urie, which is divided from Daviot by its north-
eastern bank in Chapel of Garioch. The form of
Daviot is irregular, — it tapers to a point both to-
wards the north and south. It extends to about 3£
miles in length and 2 in breadth, exclusive of its
quoad sacra limits. Assessed property, in 1815,
il,974. The soil is various, consisting partly of
strong clay, partly of rich loam, but in general fer-
tile. Its exposure is chiefly to the south and south-
east, and the land is undulating with few hills.
About 500 acres were first enclosed in 1792, and a
considerable portion of the whole is now enclosed
and well-cultivated. A distillery has long existed in
the parish. The principal fuel is peat from the
moss and turf from the muir. The village of Daviot
stands nearly in the centre of the parish. Fingask
and Mounie stand on the eastern side, Glack on the
western, and Lethenty at the southern extremity.
Population, in 1801, 1,974; in 1831, 691. Houses,
in 1831, 131. There are two Druidical temples
here, one of which makes part of the churchyard
This parish was formerly a parsonage in the diocese
of Aberdeen, to the bishop of which it was given as
an alms-gift by Malcolm Canmore. It is now in the
presbytery of Garioch, and synod of Aberdeen.
Several lands in the parishes of Chapel aiid Fyvie
were, towards the end ot last century, annexed to it,
quoad sacra, by act of Assembly ; so that the whole
under the minister's charge is nearly 5 miles in length
and 4 in breadth. Stipend£159 0s. 9d. ; glebe£l2.
Patron, the Crown. The church is situated at the
village of Daviot. Schoolmaster's salaf-y £30, with
£20 of fees.
DAVIOT, a parish chiefly in the county of Inver-
ness, but partly in that of Nairn. It was, in 1618,
united to Dunlichty, and forms a parochial district of
great extent, being about 23 miles in length on both
sides of the Nairn, its breadth varying from 2 to 4
miles. It lies nearly due east and west ; and is
bounded on the north by Croy ; on the east by Moy ;
on the south by Kingussie : and on the west by Dur-
ris. The appearance of the district is wild and ro-
mantic in the highest degree. In the low grounds
there are large tracts of peat-moss, incapable of cul-
tivation, but which seem, in general, well-calculated
for the growth of forest-trees. Among the moun-
tains are several lake*, of which Loch Ruthven,
Loch Clachan, and Loch Dundelchack are the chief,
— all abounding with trout of a delicious flavour.
Limestone has been observed on the banks of the
Nairn ; the vein contains numerous cubical crystal-
lizations, which, when analyzed, have been found to
contain lead. Assessed property, in 1815, £2,604.
Under the auspices of the parliamentary commis-
sioners, an excellent line of road has been made
from near the kirk of Daviot, on the Moy road, a
little south of the water of Nairn, through Strath-
nairn to the bridge of Inverfarikag and Loch Ness,
with a small branch westward near Toredaroch, — a
distance of 19J miles. At the south end this road
extends about half-a-mile from the bridge of Inver-
farikag to Loch Ness side, where a small natural
cove in the rock is improved by a pier for landing
manure and shipping the produce of the country ;
thus furnishing a ready communication with the
Caledonian canal. At the Mains of Daviot were,
some years ago, the ruins of a castle built by the
Earl of Crawford in the beginning of the 15th cen-
tury. It was of great extent, but the stones have
been taken away to build a modern house near its
site. Population, in 1801, 1,818; in 1831, 1,738.
Houses in Inverness-shire 352 ; in Nairnshire 37
This parish, formerly a rectory, is in the presbytery
of Inverness, and synod of Moray. Patrons, the
Crown, and the Earl of Cawdor. Stipend £186
14s. 2d. ; glebe £10. The churches of Daviot and
Dunlichty are 7 miles distant. Service is performed
alternately in them every Sunday.
DAWICK, a suppressed parish in Peebleshire.
Before the Reformation it was a vicarage of the rec-
tory of Stobo. It lay chiefly on the right bank of
the Tweed; but partly also on the left bank. In
1 742, its larger section was incorporated with Drum-
melzier, and its smaller with Stobo. In the north-
east of the present parish of Drummelzier, are still
places called East Dawick and West Dawick, which
occupy the sites of ancient hamlets. The ruins of
Dawick church stood on Scrape Burn, about \ of a
mile south of New Posso.
DEAD RIGGS. See Eccles.
DEAD WATER. See Castletown.
DEAL. See Halkibk.
DEAN (The), formerly a hamlet on the water
of Leith, now a suburb of Edinburgh, remarkable
for its romantic appearance, and its exquisitely beau-
tiful bridge of 4 arches, each 96 feet in span, by
which the road to Queensferry is carried across the
deep ravine through which the water of Leith here
flows, at a height of 106 feet above the rocky bed of
the stream. The total length of this bridge — which
was erected chiefly by the enterprise of one individual
— is 447 feet ; breadth between the parapets 39 feet.
DEAN (The), a deep running river in the county
of Forfar. It takes its rise from the lake of Forfar,
runs south-west, and, receiving the water of Gairie,
near Glammis castle, falls into the Isla about a mile
north of Meigle, after a course of about 12 miles,
In its course through the parishes of Kinnettles and

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence