Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (388) Page 306Page 306

(390) next ››› Page 308Page 308

(389) Page 307 - DAL
DAM
307
DAN
plantations in the district, and no inconsiderable
portion of it on the banks of Clyde is formed into
orchard-grounds, the produce of which in point of
quality has not been surpassed by that of any of the
adjacent fruit-growing parishes. See Clydesdale.
Coal abounds in the parish, but it is not extensively
worked. There is also clay-slate, and some excel-
lent flag-stone ; the latter is principally worked at
Craigneuk quarry, and is frequently carried for use
to a considerable distance. Hamilton is the nearest
town, and is situated about a mile distant. The
road from Glasgow to Lanark by Carluke passes
through the parish for about 4 miles, and that from
Hamilton to Edinburgh about 1. The Wishaw and
Coltness railway — which will extend from the sta-
tion of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway, in
the parish of Old Monkland, to the estates of
Wishaw, Coltness, and Allanton, which are sup-
posed to contain some of the most valuable coal-
fields in Scotland — will, when completed, pass
through the parish of Dalziel for a considerable
distance — There are three villages in the parish,
viz., Motherwell — which contains about the half
of the population — Windmill-hill, and Craigneuk :
see Motherwell. The parish of Dalziel is un-
derstood to have received its name from the title
of the old parish-church, which stood near the
Clyde ; but the ancient orthography is Dalyell, and
in all probability the z has crept in as a corruption
of the ietter ;/ in the old Scottish writings. Popu-
lation, in 1801, Gil; in 1831, 1,180. Houses 200.
Assessed property £2,751 This parish is in the
presbytery of Hamilton, and synod of Glasgow and
Ayr. Patron, Hamilton of Dalziel. Stipend £'155
lis. 3d.; glebe .£60. The church is a substantial
building in a convenient part of the parish, erected
in 1798. There is no dissenting place of worship
in the parish, although a large number of Dissenters
reside in it. The salary of the parochial school-
master is £34 4s. 4Jd. per annum, with £18 of
school-fees, and £4 15s. of other annual emolu-
ments. The church of Dalziel, with its tithes,
was granted to the monks and abbots of Paisley
in the 12th century, and it was afterwards con-
veyed to the dean and chapter of Glasgow, whose
common property it continued till the Reformation.
Subsequent to this event the patronage and tithes
of the parish were given by Queen Mary to the
college of Glasgow, and they remained in their pos-
session in 1702, when Hamilton of Wishaw wrote
his account of Lanarkshire, but afterwards they came
into the family of Hamilton of Dalziel, by whom
they are now retained The most ancient family
connected with this parish were the Dalziels, who
afterwards became Earls of Carnwath; but after
various transferences, though principally to members
of the same family, the larger portion of the Dalziel
estate was sold in 1647 by the Earl of Carnwath
to Hamilton of Boggs, whose descendant is still in
possession. When the lands of Bothwell-haugh
were sold by General Hamilton — the grandfather of
the present proprietor of Dalziel — to the Duke of
Hamilton, he presented his Grace with the gun
with which James Hamilton of Bothwell-haugh shot
the Regent Murray in Linlithgow, and in whose fa-
mily it had been retained as a relic of antiquity.
This parish was celebrated as having been intersected
from east to west by the principal branch of the
Great western Roman road, or Watling-street, as it
has been called. The present road from Glasgow
to Lanark by Carluke, has been for a considerable
way formed upon it, and the march of recent im-
provement has almost entirely effaced every trace
of this great pathway of the Romans, although but
a few years have passed away since it was plainly
discernible, and even the cinders of the Roman forges
remained untouched. At the north-west boundary
of the parish there is a bridge of a single span over
the Calder, evidently of great antiquity, and which
is usually understood to have been constructed by
the Romans at the time they possessed this part of
the country. Upon a steep bank of the Calder, near
this bridge, there were formerly situated the remains
of a pretorium or Roman encampment, but here also
the hand of improvement has been busy in obli-
terating those landmarks which for more than a
thousand years had existed to mark the early location
of the conquerors of the world. In another part,
near the centre of the parish, and upon a bank over-
looking the Clyde, was situated a second Roman
encampment, or outpost. To mark the spot, one
of the predecessors of the present proprietor built a
little temple or summer-house, cut terrace-walks
along the bank, and planted fruit and forest trees in
tasteful positions, — altogether rendering it a fairy
spot, which embraces one of the sweetest views in
Clydesdale. The mansion-house of Dalziel is situ-
ated upon the burn or brook of that name, and in
one of the most beautiful parts of the glen through
which it meanders. It was built by Sir. Hamilton
of Boggs in 1649, two years after the estate came
into his possession, and it is in verity a beautiful
specimen of an old baronial residence. Hamilton
of Wishaw calls it " a great and substantial house."
Attached to it is an old tower or peel-house, the
age of which is not known, but it is evidently of
great antiquity. It is 50 feet in height, and the walls
are 8 feet in thickness, having recesses which were
wont to be used as sleeping-places. It is of limited
extent. In an apartment used as a kitchen in this
peel is suspended from the roof a lustre composed
of large stag horns, connected with iron, with metal
sockets for the candles.
DAMSA, or Damsay, one of the Orkneys,
constituting part of the parish of Firth. This is a
beautiful little island, scarcely a mile in circumfer-
ence, in the bosom of the bay of Firth. From the
singular beauty of its appearance, it has sometimes
been styled the Tempe of the islands. It formerly
contained a castle reputed to be of great strength.
There was also a church here, said to have been de-
dicated to the Virgin Mary, by whose influence — ac-
cording to the credulity of ancient times — many
wonders were here performed. This fabric, with
all its miracles, has almost sunk into oblivion ; and
the island is now applied to the pasturing of a few
hundreds of sheep.
DANESHALT— corrupted Dunshelt— a small
village in the parish of Auchtermuchty, Fifeshire ;
about a mile south of Auchtermuchty, and 2^ north
of Falkland. The road to Falkland, Kirkaldy, and
Kinghorn, lies through this village, which is sup-
posed to be the place where the Danes first halted
after their discomfiture on Falkland moor.
DANIEL-TOWN, a village in the parish of Mel-
rose. See Melrose.
DANSKINE, an inn in the parish of Garvald; 5k
miles south-east by south of Haddington, on the road
to Dunse. There is a small loch here.
DARNAWAY CASTLE, in the parish of Dyke in
Elginshire, the ancient seat of the Earls of Moray —
A modern mansion was built here about 30 years ago.
It is nobly elevated, with great range and variety of
prospect; and adjoining to it is retained, of the old
castle, a princely hall, built by Earl Randolph, Regent
of Scotland during the minority of David Bruce. Its
length is 89 feet, and its breadth 35 feet ; the arched
oaken roof is superb, and somewhat resembles that of
the Parliament-house of Edinburgh. Mary, Queen
of Scots, held her court here in 1564. Among the

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence