Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (350) Page 268Page 268

(352) next ››› Page 270Page 270

(351) Page 269 -
CRO
269
CRO
CROMARTY FRITH (The), called by Bu-
chanan the Porlus s'alutis, is one of the finest bays
in Great Britain. It is divided from the Moray frith
by the county of Cromarty, and washes the southern
shore of the county of Ross. It is about 1 7 miles in
length ; and from 3 to 5 in breadth. Its average |
depth is from 9 to 12 fathoms. The entrance is be-
tween two twin promontories or headlands called the
Sutors of Cromarty, two bluff wooded hills, which
are about H mile distant from each other ; above
which the frith expands into a beautiful bay of about
6 miles in length and in breadth. There is fine an-
choring-ground, after passing the Sutors, for several
miles up the bay, with deep water on both sides
almost close to the shore, forming, in the language
of old Stowe, " an exceeding quiet and safe haven."
A ferry-boat is estabbshed across the bay from the
Ross to the Cromarty side.
CROMBIE, an ancient parish now comprehended
in that of Torryburn, Fifeshire. Crombie-Point, in
this district, about 6^ miles north-west of North
Queensferry, and 3 miles east of the village of
Torryburn, is a calling-place of the Newhaven and
Stirling steamers. See Torryburn.
CROMDALE, a parish composed of the three
ancient but now united parishes of Cromdale, Inver-
allan, and Auvie ; situated in the counties of Inver-
ness and Elgin ; bounded by Knockando on the north ;
by Inveraven and Kirkmichael on the east ; by Aber-
nethy on the south ; and by Duthil on the west. Its
extent is considerable, being in length 17 miles;
while, in some places, the breadth is 10 miles. It is
intersected throughout its whole length by the river
Spey. The soil is in general dry and thin, with the
exception of the haughs on the banks of the Spey,
which, in point of fertility, are equal to any in the
neighbourhood. The hills and level grounds are
generally covered with heath. Granton, a village
erected about 70 years ago, is in this parish, on the
western side of the Spey, in the shire of Elgin. See
Granton. At Lochindorb, a thick wall of mason-
work, 20 feet high, surrounds an acre of land within
the lake, with strong watch-towers at every corner.
The entrance is by a magnificent gate of freestone ;
and the foundations of houses are to be distinctly
traced within the walls. Population, in 180], 2,187 ;
in 1831, 3,234. Houses in Inverness-shire, in 1831,
484; in Elgin 117. Assessed property in Inverness-
shire £3,975; in Elgin £686.— This parish, formerly
a rectory, with the ancient vicarage of Inverallan and
Advie united, is in the presbytery of Abernethy and
synod of Moray. Patron, the Earl of Seafield.
Stipend £249 4s. 7d. ; glebe £22. Unappropriated
teinds£315 4s. 9d. Church built in 1812; sittings
900. There is a mission at Granton embracing the
old parish of Inverallan, established in 1835. Salary
£80. There is also a small Baptist congregation at
Granton. The low grounds on the south banks of
the Spey have been rendered famous by a song, —
' The Haughs of Cromdale' — composed, in conse-
quence of a skirmish which took place here, in 1690,
betwixt the adherents of King William, under the
command of Sir Thomas Livingston, and the sup-
porters of the house of Stuart, under Major-General
Buchan, in which the latter were defeated. Liv-
ingston was, at the end of April, lying within 8
miles of Strathspey, on the grounds of the laird of
Grant, where he received notice from a captain in
Grant's regiment, who, with a company of men, held
possession for the government of Balloch — now Grant
castle — in the vicinity of Cromdale, that Buchan was
marching down Strathspey. Desirous of attacking
him before he should have an opportunity of being
joined by the country people, Livingston marched off
towards the Spey, in the afternoon, and continued
his inarch till he arrived within 2 miles of Balloch
castle. As it was already dark, and the night far
advanced, and as a difficult pass lay between him and
the castle, Livingston proposed to encamp during
the night; but not finding a convenient place, he, by
the persuasion of one of his officers who was ac-
quainted with the pass, and who undertook to con-
duct him safely through it, renewed his march, and
arrived at the Dairirade or top of the hill above the
castle at two o'clock in the morning. Buchan's men
were then reposing in fancied security near Lethindie,
on the adjoining plain of Cromdale, and the fires of
their camp — which were pointed out by the captain
of the castle to Livingston — showed him that he was
much nearer the enemy than he had any idea of.
Mackay says, that had Livingston been aware that
the Highlanders were encamped so near the pass,
he would not have ventured through it during
the night, having little confidence in the country
people ; nor would the enemy, had they suspected
Livingston's march, left their former station and en-
camped upon an open plain, a considerable distance
from any secure position, 'just as if they had been
led thither by the hand as an ox to the slaughter.'
As several gentlemen of the adjoining country had
sought an asylum in the castle on hearing of Buchan's
advance, the commander, in order to prevent any
knowledge of Livingston's approach being commu-
nicated to the Highlanders, had taken the precaution
to shut the gates of the castle, and to prohibit all
egress ; so that the Highlanders were as ignorant of
Livingston's arrival as he had previously been of
their encampment at Cromdale. Such being the
case, the commander of the castle advised him to
attack the Highlanders without delay, and he him-
self offered to conduct the troops into the plain.
Livingston's men were greatly fatigued with their
march; but, as the opportunity of surprising the
enemy should not, he thought, be slighted, he called
his officers together, and, after stating his opinion,
requested each of them to visit their detachments
and propose an attack to them. The proposition
having been acceded to, the troops were allowed
half-an-hour to refresh themselves, after which they
marched down through the valley of Auchinarrow,
to the river. Finding a ford below Dellachaple,
which he approached, guarded by a hundred High-
landers, Livingston left a detachment of foot and a
few dragoons to amuse them, while, with his main
body, led by some gentlemen of the name of Grant
on horseback, he marched to another ford, through a
covered way a mile farther down the river, which
he crossed at the head of three troops of dragoons,
and a troop of horse, a company of his Highlanders
forming the advanced guard. After he reached the
opposite bank of the Spey, he perceived the High-
landers, who had received notice of his approach
from their advanced guards at the upper ford, in
great confusion, and in motion towards the hills.
He thereupon sent orders to a part of his regiment,
and another troop of horse to cross the river and
join him; but, without waiting for them, he galloped
off at full speed towards the hills, so as to get be-
tween the fugitives — the greater part of whom were
almost naked — and the hills, and intercept them in
their retreat. The cavalry were accompanied by
the company of Highlanders which had crossed the
river, and who are said to have outrun their mounted
companions, — a circumstance which induced the fly-
ing Highlanders, on arriving at the foot of the hill
of Cromdale, to make a stand ; but, on the approach
of Livingston and the remainder of his dragoons and
horse, they again took to their heels. They turned,
however, frequently round upon their pursuers, and
defended themselves with their swords and targets

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence