Skip to main content

Gazetteer of Scotland > Volume 1

(246) Page 216

‹‹‹ prev (245) Page 215Page 215

(247) next ››› Page 217Page 217DUM

(246) Page 216 -
216
DUMFRIES.
should say prayers ever a ''ter, for the soul of
his deceased companion in arms. No trace
of the chapel can now be seen. By these and
other religious foundations, the early prosperity
of Dumfries was materially increased.* After
Edward I. had dethroned Baliol, he seized
and garrisoned Dumfries Castle ; but Bruce, on
slaying Cumin, retook the fortress, and drove
away the English judges, whom Longshanks
had introduced. The castle was afterwards
seized once more by the English ; but in 1312,
was again retaken by Bruce. In 1583, a strong
building was erected in Dumfries, called the
New Wark, which served also as a castle, and
more particularly as a repository of the goods
of the town people in cases of invasion. This
edifice is now completely obliterated, as
well as the castle. In 1 396, the royal burgh,
which had grown up under the protection
of these strengths, obtained several valua-
ble immunities from Robert III. In 1485,
James II. granted it a charter, confirming its
estates and liberties. In 1469, the town ob-
tained a grant from the crown of all the houses,
gardens, possessions, and revenues, which had
belonged to the Grey-Friars. In the course of
the troubles on the borders, in which the
county of Dumfries was so frequently involv-
ed, the town did not escape. It was often
plundered and burnt, in spite of every opposi-
tion. When Lord Scroop made an incursion
in April, 1570, in order to spoil the country,
the chief magistrate of Dumfries, with the
burgesses, marched out and joined Lord Max-
well, in opposing the invaders. The men of
Dumfries fought gallantly on this occasion,
but were defeated. As a sort of defence to
the town, the inhabitants, about this period, or
probably earlier, erected a dike or rude forti-
fication, on the south or English side of the
town, between the Nith and Lochar Moss : it
was called the Wardefs Dike. Beside this
rampart, watch and ward were constantly kept
during times of danger. Upon the appearance
of an enemy, the cry of " Alorburn," or " Lore-
burn," was raised ; whereupon the burgesses
* The principal church was dedicated to St. Michael,
who was the tutelar saint of the parish. The abhot of
Kelso, having acquired the superiority of these religious
houses, appears, in the thirteenth century, to have con-
veyed them to the dean of Dumfries, for a yearly sti-
pend. Afterlhe Rcfbrmalion, the patronage of the church
and tithes went to the Earl of Roxburgh, as coming
in place of the abbot. In 1637, they were purchased by
the crown.
flocked to a green by the banks of that stream
let, immediately to the east of the town, and
there marshalled themselves in arms. Alor-
burn is now the motto on the armorial bear-
ing of the burgh, and is engraved round the
provost's staff of office, from having thus been
formerly the war-cry of the town. Dumfries
suffered considerably during the troubles of the
reign of Charles I. and still more by the
darker evils of the reign of Charles II. In
1617, it was visited by James VI. on his way
back to England. Almost no town stood
forward so prominently at the period of the
Union of 1707. On the 20th of November,
1706, two hundred Cameronians, says George
Chalmers, entered the burgh, where they pub-
lished a manifesto against that great measure,
and burnt the Articles of Union at the Cross.
The cause of this uproar lay in the indignation
of the old Covenanting party at the neglect of
their favourite bond in the Articles of Union,
and at the recognition by those Articles of the
Church of England, against which the Cove-
nant, as is well known, declared a war of ex-
termination. These well-intentioned tumults
were fortunately stilled without any bad con-
sequences. The last commotion wherein
Dumfries took a part, was in the insurrection
of 1715, when the Viscount Kenmure hung
upon the neighbouring heights of Tinwald,
like a thunder-cloud, ready to burst upon the
town. This is supposed to have been the last
time when the cry of Loreburn arose in the
streets of Dumfries. A curious story is told of
the way in which Lord Kenmure was induced
to raise the siege. His friends at Terregles
House, the residence of the Earl of Nithsdale,
having learned the warlike posture of the Dum-
frisians, dispatched a man to his camp enjoining
him to depart. It was at that time impossible
to communicate intelligence of so delicate a
sort with safety. But they got an old crazy
rustic into the buttery, and having secretly
sewed a letter into the lining of his broad blue
bonnet, offered him a small sum of money on
condition that he should go to Tinwald and
make a present to the Viscount of his goodly
headpiece. The old man reached the camp
without suspicion, and made rendition of his
bonnet according to compact, but witli a very
imperfect notion of the end to be served by so
strange a proceeding. The insurgent-general,
accustomed to such mysterious practices, took
the bonnet as a matter of course, and soori

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence