Skip to main content

Gazetteer of Scotland

(127) Page 125

‹‹‹ prev (126) Page 124Page 124

(128) next ››› Page 126Page 126

G L E
G L E
west, where the soil is light and mossy, no
trees thrive. There is a small village, con-
taining about 200 inhabitants. The parish
is supplied with fuel from the neighbour-
ing coal pits, and from an extensive moss
on the western border. Population 1215.
GLENALMOND, a picturesque vale in
Perthshire, watered by the river Almond.
GLENALOT,avalleyinSutherlandshire,
15 miles N. of Dornoch.
GLENARAY, a vaie in Argyleshire, in
the parish of Inverary.
GLENARGLET, a valley in Stirlingshire.
GLENARTNE Y, a valley in Perthshire,
near Callender of Monteith.
GLENBEG, a district in Inverness-shire.
GLENBERVIE, a parish in Kincardine-
shire, about G miles and a half long, and 5
broad, containing 13,963 English acres. The
soil in the upper part is a blue clay, and in
the lower a dry loam, very fertile. Much
has lately been done in agricultural im-
provement, particularly on the estates of
Mr Barclay of Urie, and the late Lord Mon-
boddo. The villages of Drumlithie and
Glenbervie are in this parish. Pop. 1227.
GLENBRAWN, a valley in Inverness-
shire, in the united parishes of Abernethy
and Kincardine.
GLENBRIARACHAN, a valley in In-
yerness-shire, in the parish of Moulin.
GLENBUCKET, a parish in Aberdeen-
shire, 4 miles long and 1 broad, lying on
the banks of a stream of the Don, called the
Bucket. The soil is mostly a light loam, in
some places mixed with clay. The parish I
belongs to the Earl of Fife. Pop. 420.
GLENCAIRN, an extensive parish in
Duinfries-shire, in length about II miles,
but its breadth varies from 3 to 5. It con-
tains 21,795 Scots acres, or 42 and 3 quar-
ters square miles. Besides the Cairn river,
it is watered by several small rivulets, of
which the chief are the Castlefern, Craig-
darroch, and Dalwhat, which unite near
Minechive, Dunreggan is the only other vil-
lage in the parish. The land in general is
good: the holms and meadows on the sides
of the rivers are fertile; and, next to these,
the rising grounds are of a light, warm, and
kindly soil. In the higher parts there is ex-
cellent pasture. At the S. E. side of the
parish there is a lake called Loch Orr, or
Urr, from which the river of that name
takes rise. Ferguson of Craigdarroch has
a fine seat in this neighbourhood. P. 1S6C.
GLENCARREL, a valley in Sutherland,
near Glenalot.
GLENCOE,a vale in Argyleshire, near
the head of Loch EtiTe, noted for the cruel
massacre of its unsuspecting inhabitants, in
1691, when 3S persons, including the Chief
of the clan, were butchered in their beds by
a military party under Campbell of Glenlyon.
Glencce is also famous as the birth-place of
Ossian, as appears from many passages ii»
his poems. Many of the places are accurate-
ly named and described. In the middle of
the vale runs the stream of Cona. The
mountain of Malmor, rises on the S ; and
the celebrated Con Fion, the hill of Fingal,
is situated on the N. side of the same vale.
GLENCROE, a vale in Argyleshire, one
of the passes to the Higlands, near the N.
E. extremity of Loch Long. The scenery
is wild and sublime in the highest degree;
on each side are mountains, steep and rug-
ged, with overhanging rocks, many of
which have fallen to the bottom of the glen,
while others threaten the traveller with in-
stant destruction. In some parts the crag-
gy summits appear to meet over the road ;
in others the valley opens, and the sides ex-
hibit patches of vegetation, covered with
sheep. In the middle of the glen runs a
considerable brook, near which the road is
earned, and hundreds of rillsthatpourfrom
the mountains, form in their descent in-
numerable cascades. There are a few mi-
serable cottages on the sides of the road. The
length of Glencroe is between 5 and 6 miles.
The road ascends gently through the whole
of it, excepting the last mile, where it is
very steep, and carried in a zigzag form to
the top of the hill. The road then turns in-
to Glenkinlass. This last valley is termin-
ated by the house and pleasure grounds of
Ardkiulass, on the borders of Loch Fyne.
GLENCROSS, a parish in Mid-Lothian,
about 3 miles square. The roads to Dum-
fries, Biggar, and Moffat, pass through it.
A part of the Pentlarxi hills is in this parish,
and the soil in general is better adapt-
ed for pasture than tillage; but the low
grounds produce excellent crops. The mi-
nerals are whiustone and freestone, and a
vein of silver was discovered in a hill on the
S. side of Glencross water. Lime and coal
are also found. In the vale on the N. side
of the water, are the ruins of a chapel. The
estate of Belhvood is finely cultivated, and
the mansion is surrounded with thriving
plantations. Inthis parish is Bullion Green,
noted for a battle between the covenanters
and the royal army under Dalziel. Within
an inclosure, a monument is erected to the
memory of the Rev. Mr Cruickshanks, Mr
M'Curmic, and about SO'otUers who fell in
tliis action. In 1813, buildings were erect?
ed to contain 6000 prisoners. Pop. 455.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence