Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (1064) Page 1056Page 1056LEN

(1066) next ››› Page 1058Page 1058

(1065) Page 1057 -
bank, and telegraph departments. Of recent and rapid
extension, Lenzie has a handsome public hall, erected
in 1892 with the proceeds of a bazaar. The building
contains a main hall 60 feet long and 40 broad, with
small gallery; a lesser hall, billiard, reading, cloak, and
waiting rooms and lavatories. . Here, too, is situated
the Barony Lunatic Asylum, erected in 1875 at a cost of
£150,000 on the Woodielee estate of 382 acres, which
was purchased by the Barony Parochial Board in 1852
for £30,000, making a total of £180,000. Elizabethan
in style, the building is over 700 feet long and 450
broad, occupying 6J acres of ground. There are two
central towers 150 feet high, a clock-tower of 88 feet
above the main entrance, and a fleehe surmounting the
chapel, which is seated for 400, and adorned with stained
glass. The dining-hall can accommodate 500 persons;
and the recreation-hall measures 90 feet by 60. Exten-
sive additions were made to the asylum in 1892. At
Westermains there is a private lunatic asylum. Another
institution is the Glasgow Convalescent Home (1864).
The Broomhill Home for the relief of incurables belong-
ing to Glasgow and the West of Scotland is in the
neighbourhood, an institution which also spends on
behalf of incurables at their own homes over £1000
a year. There are also a collegiate school and Lenzie
Academy, the latter partly destroyed by fire in 1893, a
horticultural society, and a bowling club. An Estab-
lished church, built as a chapel of ease in 1873, was
raised to quoad sacra status in 1876; a TJ. P. church,
erected in 1874-75 at a cost of £3300, contains 450
sittings; and St Cyprian's Episcopal church (1873) con-
tains 175. The quoad sacra parish is in the presbytery
of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr; its minister's
stipend is £470. Pop. of parish (1881) 2292, (1891)
2805, of whom 1160 were in Cadder; of village (1871)
351, (1881) 1316, (1891) 1916, of whom 918 were in
Kirkintilloch police burgh, and 998 in Cadder. —Ord.
Swr., sh. 31, 1867.
Leochel Burn, a troutful rivulet of central Aberdeen-
shire, rising as Corse Burn in the N of Coull parish at
an altitude of 970 feet above sea-level, and winding 9f
miles north-by-eastward through or along the borders
of Leochel, Tough, and Alford parishes, till, after a
descent of 510 feet, it falls into the Don, J mile above
Alford bridge. — Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.
Leochel-Cushnie, a parish of central Aberdeenshire,
comprising the ancient parishes of Leochel and Cushnie,
united temporarily in 1618, permanently in 1795. Its
church stands, 1029 feet above sea-level, 6 miles SW of
the post-town and station, Alford, the terminus of the
Alford branch of the Great North of Scotland railway.
It is bounded NW by Kildrummy, N by Alford, NE,
E, and SE by Tough, S by Coull and Tarland-Migvie,
and W by Towie. Its utmost length, from E to W, is
7J miles; its breadth, from N to S, varies between 2J
and 4J miles; and its area is 12,859i acres, of which 3£
are water. The drainage is carried northward to the
Don by Leochel Burn (running 3§ miles north-north-
westward along the Tough and Alford boundaries and
through the interior) and by its affluents — Rumblie
Burn (flowing 2J miles east-by-southward along the
Coull boundary), the Burn of Cushme (flowing 4J miles
east-north-eastward through the interior), and Droichs
Burn (tracing part of the northern boundary). The
surface is hilly, sinking in the extreme N to 500 feet
above sea-level, and rising thence to 1468 feet at Lang-
gadlie Hill, 1723 at Scar Hill, and 2032 at Sockaugh
or Cushnie Hill, which culminate respectively on the
northern, western, and the south-western boundaries.
Graniteis the predominant rock; and the soil of the
valleys is clayey for the most part, but in places a fine
alluvium, of some of the hill-slopes is a fertile loam.
Nearly half of the entire area is in tillage; about 1150
acres are under wood; and the rest is either pasture or
moor. Cairns and stone circles were at one time
numerous, and several ' eirde ' or ' Picts' houses ' have
been found on Cairncoullie farm. Craigievar Castle,
Cushnie House, Hallhead House, and Lynturk
House are all noticed separately. Lord Semple is chief
proprietor. Ecclesiastically including the Corse or
northern division of Coull, Leochel-Cushnie is in the
presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen ; the living
is worth £245. The parish church was built in 1798.
The Free church, a conjoint charge with Towie, stands
9 furlongs WSW of the parish church; on the NE verge
of the parish is Lynturk U.P. church; and four public
schools — Cairncoullie, Corse, Craigievar, and Cushnie —
with respective accommodation for 60, 96, 140, and 106
children, have an average attendance of about 50, 80,
65, and 65, and grants amounting to over £50, £80,
£60, and £63. Pop. (1881) 1217, (1891) Ui6.—Ord.
Swr., sh. 76, 1874.
Leod. See Castle-Leod.
Lerwick (Scand. Leir-vik, ' mud bay '), a parish con-
taining a town of the same name, towards the S of the
Mainland of Shetland. Joined to the ancient parish of
Gulberwick in 1722, the united parish of Lerwick and
Gulberwick was further enlarged by the Boundary Com-
missioners in 1891, when the old parishes of Burra and
Quarff, that formed a detached portion of the united
parish of Bressay, Burra, and Quarff, were transferred
to it. Lerwick and Gulberwick parish, and Bressay,
Burra, and Quarff parish were henceforth to be restricted
to the names Lerwick and Bressay. Lerwick parish is
bounded NE and E by Bressay Sound between the
Mainland and Bressay, SE by the sea, SW by the Bay
of Scalloway, and W and NW by the parish of Ting-
wall. It consists of the following districts : — The
ancient parish of Lerwick, comprising 3158-8 acres; the
ancient parish of Gulberwick, 2793-8 acres; the ancient
parish of Quarff (these three districts entirely mainland)
2098 "5; and the ancient parish of Burra (insular), con-
sisting of the islands of Papa, 148-4 acres; West Burra,
1781-5; East Burra, 1242-4; Houss Ness, 32; South
Havra, 147 '9; Little Havra, 29 '4; and six small islands,
1 6 "1. Except along the coast, the boundaries are arti-
ficial. The sea coast is deeply indented : on the NE a
bay extends from Grimista to Lerwick, 1 mile wide
across the mouth, and f mile deep; S of Lerwick is
Brei Wick, 6J furlongs across the mouth, from the Nab
(NE) to Ness of Sound (SW), and j mile deep. To the
SW is the Voe of Sound, § mile wide from Dainaberg
(NE) to the Nizz (SW), and 1J mile deep; and further
to the SW still is Gulber Wick, § mile wide and 1 mile
deep; while S is the East Voe of Quarff. The Sound of
Bressay and the Bay of Lerwick is one of the finest
anchorages in the United Kingdom. From the sea-
coast the surface rises steeply to a height of over 100
feet in the N, and over 200 in the centre and S, the
highest points being 346 feet on the border of the parish
to the SW of Grimista, 273 at Ward of Lerwick NW of
the town, 576 at Shorloun Hill W of Sandy Loch, near
the centre of the parish; 258 at the highest point be-
tween Sandy Loch and Trebister Loch, 365 at the
highest point on the road to the SW of Sandy Loch,
244 to the W of Setter Ness, and 217 on the surface of
Brindister Loch. Only a very small portion of the
parish is arable, and this lies along the coast, where the
soil is light and sandy, but fairly good; elsewhere there
is rock and peat moss. Except on the extreme S, where
mica schist comes in, the underlying rocks belong to the
Lower Old Red period, and consist of sandstones, flag-
stones, and conglomerate, of which the first is quarried.
As elsewhere throughout the Shetland Islands, there
are a number of small lochs, the principal being Click-
himin or Cleek-em-in, SW of the burgh of Lerwick,
separated from Brei Wiek by a shingle terrace or ' ayre ;'
Sandy Loch and Trebister Loch, W of the Voe of Sound;
Brindister Loch in the S; and Gossa Water on the
boundary with Tingwall. Clickhimin derives its name
from a whisky shop that once stood near it, and was
supposed to entice or ' cleek ' people into it. Brindister
Loch has a small island, with the remains of a broch,
and said to be a breeding-place of the lesser black-backed
gull. There is another broch at Burland, on the coast
to the E; and a third, with some very peculiar features,
is on a little circular islet of about 150 feet in diameter,
in Clickhimin. This last was excavated in 1861. when a

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence