Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (294) Page 472Page 472

(296) next ››› Page 474Page 474

(295) Page 473 -
URR
1490, is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of
Ross, and the living is worth £446 a year. The parish
church, near the centre, on the coast side, was built in
1795, and contains over 1000 sittings ; and there is also
a Free church. Under the school board Conan, Cul-
bockie, Ferintosh, and Mullbuie schools, with accom-
modation for 110, 134, 155, and 95 pupils respectively,
had in 18S4 attendances of 62, 56, 53, and 78, and
grants of £40, 7s. 7d., £34, 7s. 6d., £62, 0s. 8d., and
£48, 8s. 8d. The principal proprietors are D. Forbes,
Esq. of Culloden, Sir K. S. Mackenzie, Bart, of Gair-
loch, and Sir J. D. Mackenzie of Findon ; 1 other
holds an annual value of between £500 and £100, and
3 hold each between £50 and £20. Valuation (1S60)
£7245, (1885) £10,566, 8s. 6d., plus £813 for the rail-
way. Pop. (1801) 2S20, (1831) 2S64, (1861) 3147,
(1871) 2863, (18S1) 2525, of whom 1133 were males,
while 1639 were in the Ross-shire section. — Orel. Sur.,
shs. S3, 93, 1SS1.
Urr, a Kirkcudbrightshire parish, towards the S con-
taining the town and station of Dalbeattie, 14-J miles
SW of Dumfries and 5J ESE of Castle-Douglas. It is
bounded NE by Kirkpatrick-Irongray and Lochrutton,
E by Kirkgunzeon, SE by Colvend, SW by Buittle and
Crossmichael, and NW by Kirkpatrick-Durham. Its
utmost length, from 1ST by W to S by E, is 12J miles ;
its breadth varies between 4J furlongs and 3 miles ; and
its area is 24J square miles or 15,750J acres, of which
41J are foreshore and 263A. water. Urr Water, winds
10| miles south-south-eastward along all the Cross-
michael and Buittle boundary, though the point where
it first touches and that where it quits the parish are
only "i\ miles distant as the crow flies. Kirkgunzeon
Lane or Dalbeattie Burn, after flowing 2J miles south-
ward along the Kirkgunzeon border, winds 2 miles
westward and south-south-westward across the interior,
till it falls into the Urr at a point § mile SSW of
Dalbeattie. Three lakes are Edingham Loch (1J x \
furl.), \\ mile 1ST by E of Dalbeattie; Milton Loch
(6 x 3J furl. ; 420 feet), in the northern interior ; and
Achenreoch Loch (9 x 1J furl. ; 340 feet), on the
Kirkpatrick-Durham boundary. In the S the surface
declines to less than 50 feet above the sea, and thence
it rises northward to 40S feet at Little Firth-head, 500
at Barr Hill, 66S near Meikle Auchenreoch, and 900
at Larganlee Hill, so that Urr, compared with other
Kirkcudbrightshire parishes, is pretty low and level.
Granite, in places protruding at the surface, is the
predominant rock ; and limestone occurs, but is very
hard, and little suited for economical purposes. Coal
is supposed to exist in the hills to the N, but only in
small quantity ; iron ore is plentiful, but cannot be
worked for want of cheap fuel ; and shell-marl abounds,
but has long ceased to be used as a manure. The soil,
except on some mossy land in the S, and in some
moorish land in the N, and at the protrusions of granite,
is generally light and fertile. The proportion of arable
land to that which cannot be ploughed is 12 to 1 ; and
about 800 acres are under wood. A remarkable artificial
mound, the Moat of Urr, stands on the right bank of
Urr Water, 2| miles NNW of Dalbeattie. It rises in
successive concentric terraces, with a diameter and a
height unexcelled by those of any other ancient moat in
Scotland ; was formerly surrounded by outworks of
different construction from its own, and by Dr Skene is
regarded as marking the sight of Carbantorigum, a town
of the SelgovEe mentioned by Ptolemy. A standing-
stone, consisting of a rude block of granite, is in a field
1 mile to the E of the moat ; and bronze vessels and
Roman coins have been found at various times and in
different places. Pre-Reformation chapels were in
several places, and one of them has left to its site the
name of Chapelton. In the extreme N is a tombstone
over the grave of four Covenanters ; and the fanatical
sect of Buchanites, after their flight from Ayrshire,
resided for a time at Auchengibbert, from whence
they removed to Crocketford. Spottes, noticed sepa-
rately, is the chief mansion, and 10 proprietors hold
each an annual value of more than £500. Giving off
URRAY
the quoad sacra parish of Dalbeattie, Urr is in the
presbytery and synod of Dumfries ; the living is worth
£395. The parish church, near Haugh of Urr, and 3J
miles NNW of Dalbeattie, was built in 1815, and
contains 815 sittings. Besides those noticed under
Dalbeattie, three public schools — Hardgate, Milton, and
Springbolm — with respective accommodation for 162,
72, and 70 children, had (1884) an average attendance
of 89, 30, and 42, and grants of £34, 12s., £28, 6s.,
and £71, 10s. 6d. Valuation (1S60) £14,674, (1S85)
£28,162, 5s. Pop. (1801) 1719, (1831) 3098, (1861)
3585, (1871) 4606, (1881) 5490, of whom 1350 were
in Urr ecclesiastical parish. — Ord. Sur., shs. 5, 9,
1857-63.
Urrard House, a mansion in Moulin parish, Perth-
shire, near the left bank of the Garry, 24 miles SE of
Blair Athole.
Urray, a parish, containing a hamlet of the same
name, lying mostly in Ross-shire, but with a small
portion also in Inverness-shire. It consists of a main
portion along the lower reaches of the Conan and its
tributary the Orrin, and a detached section about 18
miles farther up Strath Conan. The main portion, which
is bounded N by the parish of Contin, NE by the parish
of Urquhart and Logie- Wester, E by the parish of
Killearnan, S and SW by the parish of Kilmorack, and
W by Contin, measures 7 miles from N to S, and
the breadth at the N end is 6 miles and at the S end 3
miles. The detached section, which consists of ' a davoch
of land,' is entirely surrounded by the parish of Contin.
The total area of the parish is 74, 172 '794 acres, of which
1396'259 are water, 84'4 are foreshore, and 52 - 92 are
tidal water. Of this total there are in Inverness-shire
382 '530 acres, of which 25 - 297 are foreshore and 7720
tidal water, while all the rest is in Ross-shire. The area
of the detached portion is 40, 126 '803 acres. The portion
of the surface to the E is low, and over the rest of the
main part it is undulating, and the straths of the Conan,
Orrin, and Beauly are well wooded, and in some places
well cultivated, and the views along the first and last
are in many places very picturesque. The detached
section is very hilly. The soil in some parts of the
straths is a good carse clay, and elsewhere stony sand,
passing to gravel ; but on the lower slopes it is warm
and dry, and under good management produces fair
crops. The underlying rocks are chiefly metamorphosed
Lower Silurian beds, but on the E they are Old Red
Sandstone. The drainage is carried off on the N by the
Conan, which forms part of the northern boundary ; in
the centre by the Orrin ; and in the S by the Beauly,
which forms part of the southern boundary ; and by-
smaller burns flowing to these rivers. A tract of good
land at the junction of the Orrin and the Conan was
greatly improved by drainage operations carried out in
1S69. A reach of the Highland railway passes through
the E side of the parish for 2 miles northward from Muir
of Ord station ; and access to the eastern part of the
parish may be had from that point, or from Conan
station in the parish of Urquhart. The great road from
Inverness by Dingwall to the 1ST runs alongside the rail-
way ; good roads branch off it up all the straths ; and
there are also a number of good cross and district roads.
Besides farming and sheep-farming, the only industries
are the salmon-fishing in the Conan and a distillery at
Ord. The mansions are Brahan Castle, Highfield
House, Muirton House, Ord House, and Tarradale
House — the wooded policies round the first being so
fine and extensive as to form a prominent feature in
the scenery along the lower part of Strath Conan. The
only object of antiquarian interest is the ruined square
tower of Fairburn. Tarradale was the birthplace of
the great geologist, Sir Roderick Impey Murchison,
Bart. (1792-1871). The parish is composed of the old
parishes of Urray and Kilchrist, of which the latter is
separately noticed. In the presbytery of Dingwall and
synod of Ross, it gives off part of its civil territory to
the quoad sacra parishes of Carnoch and Kinloeh-
luichart ; and the living is worth £410 a year. The
parish church, near the mouth of the Orrin, is old ; and
473

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence