Skip to main content

Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland > Volume 6

(293) Page 471 - URQ

‹‹‹ prev (292) Page 470Page 470

(294) next ››› Page 472Page 472

(293) Page 471 - URQ
URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
Garmouth and Kingston, though in the civil parish, are
quoad sacra in the parish of Speymouth. The parish
church, on high ground to the N of the village, is a
good building, with a high square tower, erected in
1844 and reseated in 1878. There are Free churches at
the village and at Garmouth. Under the school board,
the Urquhart public school, with accommodation for 195
pupils, had in 1884 an attendance of 151, and a grant of
£158, 5s. 2d. The school at Garmouth is under the
Speymouth school board. The largest proprietor is the
Earl of Fife, and the Duke of Richmond and Gordon
holds an annual value of more than £1100, 2 other
proprietors hold each between £500 and £100, 6 hold
each between £100 and £50, and 10 hold each between
£50 and £20. Mansions are Innes House and Leuchars
House. Valuation (1860) £6970, (1883) £8052, 14s.
Pop. (1801) 1023, (1831) 1019, (1S61) 2532, (1871) 2368,
(1881) 2139, of whom 1187 were in the ecclesiastical
parish.— Ord. Sur., sh. 95, 1876.
Urquhart and Glenmoriston, a large parish of Inver-
ness-shire. It is bounded N by the parishes of Kil-
morack, Kiltarlity, and Inverness, SE along the centre
of Loch Ness by the parishes of Dores and Boleskine, S
by Boleskine and Kilmonivaig, W by Ross-shire and
the parish of Kilmorack, and NW by the parish of
Kilmorack. The boundary is largely natural. From the
NE corner, 2 miles NE of Temple Pier on Urquhart Bay
on Loch Ness, the boundary line passes south-westward
along the centre of Loch Ness to the mouth of the river
Moriston, and, after following up the course of that
river for 4j miles, it strikes up a small stream south
and south-eastward to the watershed, first between the
river Moriston and the river Oich, and then between
Glen Moriston andGlen Garry. The chief heights here are
CeannaMhaim (2203 feet), Meall Dubh (2581), Claeh
Crioche (2211), and Meall Leac Ulaidh (1760). From
the latter hill the line follows the Riabhach Burn to
Loch Loyne (760 feet), passes up the centre of Loch
Loyne till near the upper end, and thence follows
the county boundary across Loch Clunie (606), and on
as far as Sgurr nan Conbhairean (3632). From this
hill it strikes first northward and then E by N along
the line of watershed between Glen Affric and Glen
Moriston by Tigh More (3222 feet), Aonach Shasuinn
(2901), Cam a Choire Bhuidhe (2778), Cam a Chao-
chain (2314), and Cam a Choire Leith (2118), from
the last of which it strikes down across the centre
of Loch na Beinne Baine, up a small burn entering it
on the E side, and thence round the high ground E of
Loch nan Eun to the Allt nam Faogach near Loch nam
Faogach, follows this stream downwards for 1J mile,
and then strikes northward to the burn that rises be-
tween Carn Bingally (1273) and Meal a' Choire (1000).
It follows this burn downward to its junction with the
Enrick near Corriemony, and then the Enrick for a
short distance to a point 1 mile W of Loch Meiklie
(372 feet), where it again turns off first to the N up to
the watershed between the basin of the river Beauly and
that of Loch Ness, and then along this watershed by
Meall nan Caorich (1401) and Meall Gorm (1355),
whence it winds first N, then S, and finally E back to
the starting point on Loch Ness. The greatest length
of the parish, from this point south-westward to Sgurr
nan Conbhairean, is a little over 28 miles ; the average
breadth at right angles to this is about 8 miles ; and the
area is 129,204'673 acres, of which 6500-092 are water.
The whole parish may be said to consist of the two
glens, Glen Urquhart and Glen Moriston, of which the
latter is separately noticed. From the SE border along
Loch Ness the ground rises steeply, and attains its
greatest height at the well-known Meall Fuar-mhonaidh
(Meal Fuarvounie; 2284 feet) midway between Glen
Urquhart and Glen Moriston, with Glasbheinn Mhor
(2000), Cam na Fiacail (1913), Cam Tarsuinn (2000),
and Meall na Criehe (2224) stretching away to the
W from it. The heights on the outside of the glens
have been already given in describing the boundary line.
Scattered all over the parish, especially N of the middle
and lower parts of Glen Moriston, are a large number of
URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
lakes and lochans, of which the chief, besides those
already mentioned, are Loch nam Deirisdean (1750 feet ;
3x1 furl.), Loch na Ruighe Duibhe (1600) about twice
the size, and Loch nam Meur (1580), also about twice
the size, all on the Allt Seanabhaile, a tributary of the
Enrick; another Loch nam Meur (1573; 4x3 furl.)
and Loch Aslaich (1360 ; 3 x 1 furl.), both on the upper
waters of the Coiltie ; Loch nam Breac Dearga (1500 ;
5xlJ furl.) W of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh, and a large
chain of lakes to the W, all draining to the Allt Sigh
flowing to Loch Ness ; and Loch na Criehe (1667 ; 1J x J
mile), Loch an Staca (1604 ; 8 x 3 furl.), and Loch Liath
(1500 ; 3x2 furl.), all on two tributaries of the river
Moriston. The drainage is carried off by the Enrick,
the Coiltie, and the Moriston, with their tributaries,
as well as by a number of smaller burns flowing direct
to Loch Ness. There is good fishing in almost all the
streams and lakes. The heights are rocky and bold,
and some of the scenery is remarkably pretty and
picturesque. The falls of Divaoh on a tributary of the
Coiltie are well known. The bank of Loch Ness, Glen
Urquhart, with the lesser hollow of the Coiltie, and
Glen Moriston are all well-wooded, but the rest of the
parish is rock and bleak moor. The arable land is
confined to some narrow slopes along Loch Ness and the
two glens. The soil along Glen Urquhart is a good
loam, which, though somewhat stony and not very
deep, is fertile ; that in Glen Moriston is much lighter
and sandier, and not very productive, being mostly
given up to pasture. The underlying rocks are meta-
morphosed Lower Silurian beds of mica schist, gneiss,
crystalline limestones, and serpentine, except along the
shore of Loch Ness from the NE corner of the parish
to beyond Meal Fuar-mhonaidh, where a patch of Old
Red Conglomerate comes in. In the lower part of Glen
Urquhart a large number of minerals are to be found.
(See Invekness-shiee.) To what has been said of Glen
Moriston in the separate notice it remains here but to
add that it afforded shelter to Prince Charles Edward
Stewart on 23 and 24 July 1746, and again on 11 and
12 August. On 24 July he was joined in the cave in
which he was concealed by six faithful men of Glen
Moriston, who continued with him as guides and guards
till the 19th of the following month, when they were
dismissed at Loch Arkaig a few days before the Prince
set out for Badenoch to meet Lochiel. Glen Urquhart
spreads out round Urquhart Bay in a fine semicircular
flat well-wooded and cultivated, and both above and
below Drumnadrochit — 1 mile up the river Enrick from
the Bay — but especially above, is a considerable amount
of excellent haughland. Above this is a narrow rocky
glen, beyond which there is good soil round Loch
Meiklie, and again farther up the Glen at Corrie-
mony. The whole length of the Glen, from Urquhart
Bay to Corriemony, is 9 miles. In the moorland
districts there is excellent shooting, and of the whole
area over 90,000 acres are set apart as deer forests, the
chief being Balmacaan S of the upper part of Glen
Urquhart, Ceannacroc at the head of Glen Moriston on
the N side, Invermoriston at the mouth of the Glen on
the N side, and Portclair at the mouth of Glen Moriston
on the S side. The principal prehistoric antiquities are
cairns, stone circles, and cup-marked stones and rocks.
Culdee times are marked by a number of old burying-
groimds associated with the names of various saints,
while near Temple Pier on the N side of Urquhart Bay
was a small religious house belonging to the Knights
Templars. The principal object of antiquarian interest
now, however, is Urquhart Castle on the point called
Strone on the S side of Urquhart Bay. The ruins of
the castle occupy a boss of sandstone rock measuring
about 600 feet from N to S, and 200 feet from
E to W, the irregular rectangular form of which is
followed by the walls. This is separated from the
rising ground behind by a moat some 16 feet wide
and 30 feet deep, but probably at one time much
deeper. Whether this was ever filled with water is
doubtful, as it is a considerable distance above the level
of Loch Ness, and there is no appearance of any spring
471

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence