Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (275) Page 453Page 453

(277) next ››› Page 455Page 455

(276) Page 454 -
TTJLLIBARDINE
Tullibardine. See Blackford.
Tullibody, a village in Alloa parish, Clackmannan-
shire, 2§ miles NW of the town. It claims to have
been founded by Kenneth MacAlpine about the year
844 ; and its church was built by David I. in 1149,
Tullibody being a separate parish till 1600, when it was
united to Alloa. In 1559 the French troops under
D'Oysel employed the roof of this church to replace a
demolished bridge across the Devon ; and the building
remained dismantled till the middle of the 18th century,
when it was converted into the mausoleum of the Aber-
cromby family. A neat Free church dates from Dis-
ruption times ; and Tullibody has also a post office
under Stirling and a public -school. Tullibody House
is a plain old mansion, near the left bank of the winding
Forth, and 1 \ mile W by N of Alloa. (See Airthrey,
Alloa, and Menstrie.) Pop. of village (1861) 602,
(1871) 694, (1881) 694.— Ord. Sur., sh. 39, 1869.
Tullich. See Glenmuick.
Tulliebelton. See Auchtergaven.
Tulliebole. See Fossoway.
Tulloch Castle, a fine mansion in Dingwall parish,
Eoss-shire, 1 mile N of the town. Its owner, Duncan
Henry Caithness Reay Davidson, Esq. (b. 1843 ; sue.
1881), holds 36,130 acres in the shire, valued at £6094
per annum. The great improvements which have been
effected on the estate in the course of the last 40 years
are described on pp. 124, 125, of Trans. Eight, and Ag.
Soc. (1877).— Ord. Sur., sh. 83, 1881.
Tullochgorum, the native seat of a branch of the
Clan Grant, in the Inverness-shire portion of Cromdale
parish, near the left bank of the Spey, 6J miles SW of
Grantown, and 3 NE of Boat of Garten. See Longside
and Gordon Castle.
Tullybeagles. See Methven.
Tullybelton. See At;chtergaven.
Tullymet, a mansion in Logierait parish, Perthshire,
2J miles .NE of Ballinluig Junction. Its owner, William
Dick, Esq. (b. 1822 ; sue. 1846), holds 1000 acres in the
shire, valued at £1322 per annum. There are a post
office of Tullymet under Ballinluig, a Baptist chapel
(1806), and a Roman Catholic church (1855). — Ord. Sur.,
sh. 55, 1869.
Tullynessle and Forbes, a parish in Alford district,
Aberdeenshire. It comprehends the ancient parishes
of Tullynessle and Forbes, united in 1808; and contains
the hamlets of Tullynessle and Forbes, the former 2J
miles NNW of Alford station, the latter If mile WNW
of that station, and possessing a post office under
Aberdeen. The united parish is bounded N by Clatt
and Leslie, E by Keig, S by Alford, and W by Kil-
drummy and Auchindoir. Its utmost length, from E
to W, is 6 miles ; its utmost breadth is 4 miles ; and
its area is ll,329i acres, of which 50i are water. The
river Don has here an easterly course of 7J miles — for
the first | mile along the Auchindoir border, for the
next f mile across a south-western wing (cutting off the
farm of Bithnie, on its southern shore), and then along
all the southern boundary. From the interior it is fed
by the Burn of Esset and two or three lesser rivulets.
In the extreme SE the surface sinks beside the Don to
396 feet above sea-level ; and thence it rises to 1042
feet at Cranniecat Hill, 1376 at Manabattock Hill, 1747
at Callievar on the Kildrummy boundary, 1649 at Lord
Arthur's Cairn on the Auchindoir boundary, and 1362
at Suie Hill on the northern boundary, the two last
being summits of the Correen Hills. Granite, gneiss,
and mica slate are the predominant rocks. Excellent
granite has been quarried for building purposes, and
strongly stratified mica slate for pavement slabs ; whilst
a coarsish limestone was at one time worked. The soil
on the low tracts adjacent to the Don and to parts of
the burns is alluvium ; on the skirts or lower slopes of
the hills is mostly a good loam ; and on the higher
ground is much of it stony. Fully one-third of the
entire area is in tillage ; nearly one-eighth is under
wood ; and most of the rest is hill pasture. The small
old castellated mansion of Terpersie or Dalpersie, a
farmhouse now, but till 1745 the seat of a brarch of the
454
TUMMEL
Gordons, stands 1 mile NW of Tullynessle church.
Several ancient Caledonian stone-circles have almost all
been removed ; but the site of General Baillie's en-
campment on the eve of the Battle of Alford (1645) is
still pointed out near Mountgarrie. Mansions, noticed
separately, are Whitehatjgh and Littlewood ; and
the property is mostly divided among three. Tully-
nessle is in the presbytery of Alford and the synod of
Aberdeen ; the living is worth £324. The parish
church at Tullynessle hamlet was built in 1876 at a
cost of £2000, and contains 500 sittings. A belfry,
which is preserved, bears date 1604, and has done
duty for at least two previous churches. Two public
schools, Scots' Mill and Tullynessle, with respective
accommodation for 61 and 127 children, had (1884)
an average attendance of 55 and 55, and grants of
£51, 2s. 6d. and £55, 5s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £4260,
(1885) £6125, lis. 6d. Pop. (1801) 536, (1831) 778,
(1861) 957, (1871) 970, (1881) 981.— Ord. Sur., sh. 76,
1874.
Tiimmel, a lake and a river in the N of Perthshire.
Loch Tummel, on the mutual border of Dull and Blair
Athole parishes, 8£ miles W by N of Pitlochry, is-
formed by expansion of the river ; and, lying 480 feet
above sea-level, extends 2f miles eastward, with a
maximum breadth of J mile. Its banks are beautifully
diversified with little bays and headlands, with rocks-
and woods, with dwellings and cultivated fields ; and
its flanks rise grandly up into masses of rugged moun-
tain 1318 to 2559 feet high. A wooded artificial islet
lies near its foot ; and on this are the vestiges of a castle,
which is said to have been one of the many fastnesses-
of Robertson of Struan, the chief of the clan Donachie.
Pike are numerous ; and the trout, ranging between 1
and 10 lbs. in weight, are superior in both shape and
flavour to those of Loch Leven. A highish point on
the lake's N side, on the line of the public road from
Pitlochry to Kinloch-Rannoeh, had received the name
of the ' Queen's View ' some time prior to 3 Oct. 1866,
when the Queen first visited it, and here took tea. It
commands a prospect of almost the entire basin of the
river, from the mountains in the vicinity of Glencoe to
those southward from Ben Vrackie — one of the grandest
glen views in the United Kingdom.
The river Tummel, issuing from the foot of Loch
Rannooh, runs 19J miles eastward and 9J south-south-
eastward, till, near Ballinluig Junction, it forms a con-
fluence with the Tay, of whose main stream it is really
a head-stream. It bounds or traverses the parishes of
Fortingall, Blair Athole, Dull, Moulin, and Logierait.
At a point 4g miles below the lake, it receives the very
large tribute of the Garry, below and above whose
confluence the Tummel, as to both its current and its
banks, possesses widely different characters. Below, it
is a stately stream, grave and majestic in motion,
gemmed along its bosom with many pretty islets, and
wending among numerous cornfields and enclosed pas-
tures, screened with mountainous heights less wild in
character, and much softer in dress, than by far the
greater part of those in the Highlands. But above
where it receives the Garry it is almost constantly im-
petuous, tumbles along in rapids, cataracts, and cas-
cades, tears up and rolls before it considerable masses
of rock, and runs through a close and wooded mountain
glen, so narrow that, with very little exception, the
alpine acclivities rise immediately from the water,
leaving no flat land or space of any kind on its margin.
The narrowness and prolongation of this upper glen,
the sudden rise and the loftiness of its boundaries, the
great variety and the wonderful intricacy of their out-
line and surface, the profusion of forest and the inter-
section and clouding of it with rocks and ravines —
these, and the exquisite forms and arrangements of the
forested and scattered birches which here form the
only wood, render this upper glen of the Tummel
decidedly richer in the beauties of a grand and romantic
style of landscape than any other space of equal extent
in Scotland. Near the junction of the Garry stands
Faskally House, amid a scene which is magnificently

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence