Skip to main content

Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland > Volume 6

(268) Page 446 - TOR

‹‹‹ prev (267) Page 445Page 445

(269) next ››› Page 447Page 447

(268) Page 446 - TOR
TORPHINS
and rose to be Justice-General of Scotland. Sir James
Sandilands, the last on the list, joined the Reformers in
1560 ; and on his paying down 10,000 crowns and en-
gaging to pay an annual rent of 500 merits, he received
the remaining estates of the Order as a temporal barony,
and was raised to the peerage under the title of Lord
Torphichen. (See Calder House.) The civil anti-
quities, besides those noticed under Bedlormie, Bridge
Castle, and Ogixface, are the old peel-like mansion of
Kipps, fine sites or remains of four hill-forts or camps,
and remains of a stone circle in a field adjoining the
mansion of Kipps. The parish is traversed by the
middle road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, by the road
from Bathgate to Falkirk, and by 7J furlongs of the
Blackstone and Bathgate branch of the North British
railway. Henry Bell (1767-1830), who introduced steam
navigation into Europe, was a native. (See Helens-
burgh.) Mansions, noticed separately, are Bridge
Castle, Cathlaw, Lochoote, and Wallhouse ; and
6 proprietors held each an annual value of £500 and
upwards, 18 of between £100 and £500. Torphichen
is in the presbytery of Linlithgow and the synod of
Lothian and Tweeddale ; the living is worth £192. The
parish church, built in 1756, contains about 360 sittings.
The Free church is one of the earliest in Scotland ; and
at Blackridge there is a Free Church preaching station.
Three public schools — Blackridge, Torphichen, and
Woodend — with respective accommodation for 80, 140,
and 120 children, had (1884) an average attendance of
52, 120, and 115, and grants of £47, 2s., £109, 12s., and
£102, 2s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £9640, (1885) £11,325,
plus £1524 for railway. Pop. (1801) 1028, (1831) 1307,
(1861) 1848, (1871) 1630, (1881) 1526.— Ord. Sur., sh.
31, 1867.
Torphins, a quoad sacra parish of Aberdeenshire, in
the quoad civilia parish of Kincardine O'Neil, with a
station on the Deeside railway, 24 miles W by S of Aber-
deen, under which there is a post office, with money
order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. Con-
stituted in 1875, it is in the presbytery of Kincardine
O'Neil and the synod of Aberdeen ; the minister's stipend
is £183. Pop. (1881) 830.— Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.
Torrance, a village in Campsie parish, Stirlingshire,
on the right bank of the Kelvin, 3 miles W of Kirkin-
tilloch. It has a post office under Glasgow, a station
on the Kilsyth and Maryhill section of the North
British railway, and a new public school of 1882. Pop.
with Wester Balgrochan (1871) 671, (1881) 624.— Ord.
Sur., sh. 31, 1867.
Torrance, an ancient parish of W Lanarkshire, an-
nexed to East Kilbride in 1589. Torrance House,
near the left bank of the Rotten Calder, 2 miles SE of
East Kilbride village, in its oldest part dates from the
14th century, but has been added to at different times.
Its owner, Rt. Edward Stuart Harington-Stuart, Esq.
(b. 1834 ; sue. 1879), holds 2274 acres in the shire,
valued at £2681 per annum. The Tor, J mile to the
W, is an artificial mound, 160 yards round the base, and
20 of ascent.— Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.
Torridon, Loch, a large sea-loch of Applecross parish,
W Ross-shire, striking 7§ miles south-eastward to the
entrance of Loch Shieldaig, and then 6 miles eastward
to the foot of Glen Torridon. It measures 4£ miles across
the entrance, contracts near Shieldaig to 3 furlongs, and
afterwards, in Upper Loch Torridon, attains a maximum
width of 1 j mile. Of the bold steep mountains surround-
ing it, the loftiest are Liathaeh (3456 feet), 2f miles NE
of the head of the Upper Loch, and Beinn Alligin (3232),
2J miles from its northern shore. The Queen drove over
from Loch Maree on 15 Sept. 1877, and Upper Loch
Torridon she describes as ' almost landlocked and very
pretty. ... To the W are the hills of Skye, rising
above the lower purple ones which close in the loch.
To the S are Applecross and the high mountain of Beinn
Damh (2958 feet), with, in the distance north-eastward,
the white peaks of Liathaeh. . . . An old man,
very tottery, passed where I was sketching, and I asked
the Duchess of Roxburghe to speak to him ; he seemed
strange, said he had come from America and was going
446
TORSAY
to England, and thought Torridon very ugly!' (More
Leaves, 1884). At the head of the Loch, 10 miles "WSW
of Kinlochewe, is the tiny hamlet of Torridon, where are
a small inn, a post office, with money order and savings'
bank departments, and a new public school. Torridon
House, 2 miles WNW, on the northern shore of the
Upper Loch, is a fine mansion, built by Duncan Darroch,
Esq. of Gourook, who purchased the estate in 1872 for
£63,000. It had been sold in 1767 for £1727 (i.e., for
little more than Is. an acre), and in 1836 for £12,150 ;
and its increased value was due to the change from sheep
to deer.— Ord. Sur., shs. 81, 91, S2, 1S81-82.
Torrie House. See Torryburn.
Torrisdale Castle, a mansion in Saddell and Skipness
parish, Argyllshire, near the E shore of Kintyre, and
1J mile SSW of Carradale.
Torry, a fishing village in Nigg parish, Kincardine-
shire, on the right bank and near the mouth of the Dee,
opposite Aberdeen, with which it now communicates
by Victoria Bridge (1881), a ferry-boat accident of 5
April 1877 having cost the lives of 32 out of 60 pas-
sengers. It has a post office under Aberdeen, with
money order and savings' bank departments, a battery,
a pier, large brickworks, a Free' church, and a public
school. Pop. (1861) 473, (1871) 686, (1881) 1117.— Ord.
Sur., sh. 77, 1873.
Torryburn, a village and a parish of SW Fife. The
village, lying on the shore of the Firth of Forth, 1 J mile
SSE of East Grange station, 2J miles E of Culross, and
4J "WSW of Dunfermline, is a seaport carrying on a
small amount of commerce, and was at one time the
port of Dunfermline. It has a post office under Dun-
fermline, with money order and savings' bank depart-
ments, and a fair on the second Wednesday of July.
Pop. (1871) 723, (1881) 427, of whom 245 were in Low
Torry.
The parish, comprising the greater part of the ancient
parish of Crombie, and a small part of that of Saline,
consists of a main body and a detached portion. The
main body is bounded W by Culross in Perthshire
(detached), N by Culross and by Saline (detached), E by
Carnock and Dunfermline, and S and SW by the Firth
of Forth. Its utmost length, from NW to SE, is 4|
miles ; its utmost breadth is If mile ; and its area is
3260 acres. The detached portion, lying 5 miles N of
the main body and 8 NW of Dunfermline, is bounded
W and N by Fossoway in Perthshire, E by Cleish in
Kinross-shire and by Dunfermline, and S by Saline.
It measures 2 J by 2 miles, and has an area of 1734f
acres. The area of the entire parish is 4995 acres, of
which 3 are water and 99SJ foreshore. The coast is
mostly low and fiat, and in the main body the highest
point is Shaw Hill (250 feet), whilst in the detached
portion are Cult Hill (865) and Wether Hill (1100).
Coal, ironstone, and sandstone have all been largely
worked ; and a fine brown clay, suitable for making
bricks and tiles, is plentiful. The soil of the arable
lands is good and highly cultivated. Antiquities are the
ruins of Crombie church and a large stone at Tollzies,
supposed to commemorate an ancient battle. Torrie
House, a little way N of the village, belongs to R. G.
Erskine-AVemyss, Esq. of Wemyss Castle ; and 2 pro-
prietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards,
6 of between £100 and £500. The detached portion
is annexed quoad sacra to Salinej; and Torryburn itself is
in the presbytery of Dunfermline and the synod of Fife ;
the living is worth £271. The parish church, at Torry-
burn village, was built in 1800, and contains 502 sittings.
There is also a Free church ; and a public school, with
accommodation for 175 children, had (1SS4) an average
attendance of 103, and a grant of £87, Is. 6d. Valuation
(1856) £6977, 19s., (1880) £8429, 4s., (1885) £7145,
10s. lOd. Pop. (1801) 1403, (1831) 1436, (1861)
1229, (1871) 1051, (1881) 737, of whom 653 were in
Torryburn ecclesiastical parish. — Ord. Sur., shs. 40,
39, 1867-69.
Torsay, one of the Slate Islands in Kilbrandon
and Kilchattan parish, Argyllshire. It is separated
by only narrow straits from Seil on the N, the main-

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence