Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (265) Page 443Page 443

(267) next ››› Page 445Page 445

(266) Page 444 -
Tongue (Norse, tunga, ' a tongue of land '), a village
and a coast parish in the N of Sutherland. The village
of Tongue or Kirkiboll stands on the E side of the Kyle
of Tongue, 44 miles WSW of Thurso, and 38J N of
Lairg station, with both of which it communicates
thrice a week by mail coach. It has a post office under
Thurso, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph
departments, a good hotel, a police station, and sheriff
small debt courts in May, July, and October.
The parish, till 1724 forming one with Durness and
Eddrachillis as part of 'Lord Eeav's country,' is bounded
N by the North Sea, E and SE by Farr, and W by
Durness. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 17$ miles ;
its utmost width, from E to W, is 11£ miles ; and its
area is 136J square miles or 87,329j"acres, of which
3967J are water, 2283§ foreshore, and 41J tidal water.
Loch Derby or Loch an Dithreibh (1J mile x 5 furl. ;
268 feet) sends off the Amhainn Ceann Locha 3J miles
north-by-eastward to the head of the Kyle op Tongue,
a sea loch 9J miles long and 2f broad at the entrance.
Loch Loyal or Laoghal (4f miles x 7 furl. ; 369 feet),
on the Farr boundary, sends off the river Borgie lOf
miles north-north-eastward, through Lochs Craggie or
Creagach (If mile x 3$ furl. ) and Slaim (3x2 furl. ),
to Torrisdale Bay (lxf mile). Loch na Meide (3J
miles x 5£ furl. ; 490 feet), in the extreme S, belongs
mainly to Tongue, but partly to Durness and Farr,
and sends off the Mudale into the latter parish to
Loch Naver. Of nearly a hundred other fresh-water
lakes or lakelets, the chief are Loch Cuil na Sith * (7 i x
1 furl. ; 398 feet), sending off a stream 1J mile east-
north-eastward to the head of Loch Loyal ; and star-
shaped Loch Halm or Chaluim (5| x 4| furl. ; 690 feet),
sending off one 1J mile north-westward to the head of
Loch Derry. Both streams and lochs afford splendid
fishing. Measured along all its ins and outs, the coast,
from the entrance of Tongue Bay, extends 7J miles
west-north-westward to within 1 mile of Loch Eriboll,
and 5g miles eastward and south-eastward to the middle
of Torrisdale Bay. It is nearly everywhere rocky and
precipitous, rising rapidly to a height of 935 feet above
the sea at Whiten Head, 314 at Lamigo Bay, and
300 at Ard Torrisdale. Ellan-na-Coomb (231 feet
high) and Ellan-nan-Ron (247), to the NE of the
entrance to Tongue Bay, and the Rabeit Islands (100),
within the bay, are all three noticed separately. The
interior is everywhere hilly and often grandly moun-
tainous, chief elevations from N to S being Meall
Leathad. na Craoible(1018 feet), Beinns Tomaine (1728),
and Ben Loyal (2504), to the E of Loch Derry and
the Kyle of Tongue ; and, to the W, Ben Hutig (1340),
Meallan Liath (1962), and the south-eastern shoulder
(2364) of Ben Hope, whose summit (3040) is in Durness
parish. Gneiss, capped with conglomerate, on some of
the hills, is the predominant rock ; syenite forms the
main mass of Ben Loyal ; mica slate has been quarried
on the western border for slates and flags ; and moss,
partly abounding in bog iron, partly of a kind well
suited for fuel, covers an extensive area. The soil
of the arable lands is partly a light or a rich black
loam, but chiefly a compound of moss, gravel, sand, and
clay. Over 150 acres have been reclaimed at Ribigill,
steam-power being employed in part of the work ; but
only about 1100 acres are in tillage, whilst 700 or so
are under natural and planted wood. The rest of the
parish is largely disposed in sheepwalks, the vast
sheep -farm of Ribigill extending to 30,000 acres,
and that of Melness (which is partly in Tongue and
partly in Durness) to 70,000 acres. The House of
Tongue stands 1J mile N of the village, at the com-
mencement of the Tongue peninsula, its garden washed
by the waves of the Kyle, and its grounds overshadowed
by noble old trees. An aggregation of successive
structures, the work of many generations, a grotesque
collection of masonry formed and run together in defiance
of all architectural rule or taste, it is now the residence
* The anglicising of the Gaelic Cuil na Sith (' comer of peace ')
into Coolaide, in the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, is a curious
instance of phonetic corruption.
of the Duke of Sutherland's factor, but it has all the
associations of having been the principal seat of Lord
Reay, the chief of the clan Mackay, from whom a large
section of Sutherland took the name of ' Lord Reay's
country.' The wizard, Sir Donald Mackay of Farr, who
became first Lord Reay in 1628, figured in both the
Thirty Years' War and the Great Rebellion. His fifth
descendant, Eric, seventh Lord Reay (1773-1847), sold
the Reay estates to the Sutherland family in 1829 ;
and at the death of the ninth Lord Reay in 1875, the
title passed to iEneas Mackay (1806-76), eldest male
descendant of the second Lord Reay, and a baron of the
kingdom of the Netherlands. His son and successor,
Donald James Mackay (b. 1839), was raised to the peer-
age of the United Kingdom in 1881 as Baron Reay of
Durness, and in 1884 was appointed Governor of Bombay
(See Carolside). The most striking antiquity is Castle-
Varrich or Caisteal Bharich, surmounting a promontory
to which it gives name, and originally a strong square
building of two stories, the first arched with stone, the
second covered with wood. It still forms a large square
shell, figuring finely in the landscape, but unknown to
either history or tradition. Remains of several circular
towers occur, so situated within view of one another,
from the coast to the interior, that they may be sup-
posed to have been raised as beacon-towers. Other
antiquities are tumuli, cup-marked stones, and subter-
ranean retreats. The Duke of Sutherland is sole
proprietor. Tongue is the seat of a presbytery in the
synod of Sutherland and Caithness ; the living is worth
£213. The parish church, built in 1680, and almost
rebuilt in 1731, was repaired in 1862, and contains 120
sittings. There are Free churches of Melness and
Tongue ; and three public schools — Melness, Skerray,
and Tongue — with respective accommodation for 130,
109, and 110 children, had (1884) an average attendance
of 92, 56, and 44, and grants of £56, £38, and £51.
Valuation (1860) £2998, (1884) £4335, 10s. 8d. Pop.
(1801) 1348, (1831) 2030, (1861) 2077, (1871) 2051,
(1881) 1929, of whom 1791 were Gaelic-speaking. —
Orel. Sur., shs. 114, 108, 1880.
The presbytery of Tongue comprises the quoad civilia
parishes of Durness, Eddrachillis, Farr, and Tongue,
and the quoad sacra parishes of Kinlochbervie and
Strathy. Pop. (1881) 6371, of whom 67 were com-
municants of the Church of Scotland in 1883. The Free
Church also has a presbytery of Tongue, with churches
at Altnaharrow, Durness, Eddrachillis, Farr, Kinloch-
bervie, Melness, Strathy, and Tongue, which eight
churches together had 3584 members and adherents in
Tonley House. See Tough.
Tor-Alvie. See Alvie.
Tore, a post office under Inverness in Killearnan
parish, Ross-shire, 4 miles W by S of Munlochy.
Torgyle. See Glenmoriston.
Torlum. See Drummond Castle.
Tornaveen, an estate, with a mansion, in Kincardine
O'Neil parish, Aberdeenshire, 3 miles N by W of
Torphins station.
Torosay, a parish in Mull Island, Argyllshire, con-
taining the hamlet of Lochdonhead, 8i miles W of
Oban, under which it has a post office (Auchnacraig),
with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph depart-
ments. Communication is held with the mainland by
steamers passing through the Sound of Mull. The
parish is bounded NE by the Sound of Mull, E, SE,
and S by the Firth of Lorn, W by Kilfinichen and Loch-
na-Keal, and NW and N by Kilninian. Its utmost
length, from E to W, is 124 miles in direct line, but
18J by the shortest road ; its utmost breadth, from N
to S, is 10 miles ; and its area is nearly 146 square miles
or 94,049 acres, of which 1307 lie detached, and 1407f
are water, 2018?- foreshore, and 29 tidal water. The
coast, on the Sound of Mull and the Firth - of Lorn,
measures, exclusive of sinuosities, about 22 miles ; has
headlands of various shapes — some rounded, some acutely
angular ; and is indented with the sea lochs of Don,
Spelvie, and Buy, and the bays of Duart, Craignure,

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence