Skip to main content

Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland > Volume 6

(263) Page 441 - TIL

‹‹‹ prev (262) Page 440Page 440

(264) next ››› Page 442Page 442

(263) Page 441 - TIL
be seen, on account of a thick powdering of quartzose
nodules, it is, nevertheless, of high fertility. An-
tiquities are remains of a Caledonian stone-circle on the
SE end of the Kirk Craig, and of a circular fort on the
basaltic eminence of Castle Craig. At ' Tuligcultrin '
St Serf is said to have wrought many miracles, one of
them, the raising of a woman's two sons ' frae ded to
lyf.' Tillicoultry House, 1 mile ENE of the town, is
an elegant mansion, erected about 1806. The estate
was granted by Alexander III., in 1263, to an ancestor
of the Earl of Mar and Kellie, and in 1483 came to the
Colvilles of Culross, of whom Sir James Colville served
with much distinction in the French wars under Henri
of Navarre, and was created Lord Colville in 1609. In
his latter years he spent much of his time at Tillicoultry,
where he loved to walk on a beautiful terrace, and to
rest himself beneath an aged thorn. It happened, one
day of the year 1620, that, standing on a stone, and
looking up at the thorn-tree, describing his battles, he fell
down the sloping bank of the terrace, and, it is said, was
killed on the spot. His grandson sold the property in
1634 to the poet, Sir William Alexander of Menstrie,
afterwards Earl of Stirling ; and since, it has changed
hands no fewer than twelve times. The present owner,
Robert George Wardlaw-Ramsay, Esq. of Whitehill
(b. 1852 ; sue. 1882), holds 4147 acres in Clackmannan,
and 2963 in Edinburgh shire, valued at £3430 and
£5134 per annum. Harviestotjn, with its memories
of Burns and of the late Archbishop Tait, has been
noticed separately ; and, in all, 4 proprietors hold each
an annual value of £500 and upwards, 5 of between £100
and £500. Tillicoultry is in the presbytery of Dun-
blane and the synod of Perth and Stirling ; the living
is worth upwards of £400. Two public schools, Coals-
naughton and Tillicoultry, with respective accommoda-
tion for 309 and 783 children, had (1884) an average
attendance of 234 and 559, and grants of £204, 15s.
and £489, 2s. 6d. Valuation (1881) £18,598, lis. 4d.,
(1885) £19,685, 8s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 916, (1831) 1472,
(1841) 3213, (1861) 5054, (1871) 5118, (1881) 5344.—
Ord. Sur., sh. 39, 1869.
Tilliechewan Castle. See Bonhill.
Tillietudlem. See Craignethan.
Tillyangus. See Clatt.
Tillyfour. See Tough.
Tillynaught Junction, a station in Fordyce parish,
Banffshire, on the Great North of Scotland railway, 6
miles WSW of Banff, 2 J SSE of Portsoy, and 10J NNE
of Grange Junction.
Tillypronie, a fine modern mansion in Tarland and
Migvie parish, Aberdeenshire, 4 miles NW of Tarland
village and 10 NNW of Aboyne. Its owner, Sir John
Forbes Clark, second Bart, since 1837 (b. 1821 ; sue.
1870), holds 649 acres in the shire, valued at £350
per annum. — Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.
Tilt, a small alpine lake and a mountain rivulet, in
Blair Athole parish, Perthshire. Loch Tilt (3 x If furl. ;
1650 feet above sea-level) lies among the central Gram-
pians, within i mile of the Aberdeenshire boundary,
and 5J miles E by S of the meeting-point with Inver-
ness-shire. It is overhung by mountains rising to
altitudes of from 2131 to 2515 feet. The rivulet,
issuing from the lake, is joined within J mile by a
mountain torrent, descending from the E ; proceeds 1|
mile south-south-westward, until it receives, on the
right, Takf Water ; then goes 13J miles south-west-
ward, for the most part along a deep narrow alpine
glen, 'a ditch to guard and separate a world,' flanked
on most of the left side by Benglo (3671 feet) ;
receives in its progress hundreds of torrents and cata-
raetine rills ; becomes, in its lower reach, intricately,
picturesquely, romantically grand ; is joined, at one of
its most magnificent points, by Fender Burn, making
three very fine cascades; and enters the Garry, amid
most splendid scenery, at Bridge of Tilt. Its waters
are strictly preserved, and swarm with trout. See
Glentilt.— Ord. Sur., shs. 64, 55, 1874-69.
Tilt, Bridge of. See Blair Athole.
Tima Water, a troutful hill-stream of Ettrick parish,
Selkirkshire, rising on the Dumfriesshire boundary at
an altitude of 1300 feet, and running 6jf miles north-
north-eastward and northward, till, after a descent of
525 feet, it falls into Ettrick Water at Ramseycleuch,
1 mile E of Ettrick church. —Ord. Sur., sh. 16, 1864.
Tingwall, a parish of Shetland, whose church stands
near the head of Tingwall Loch, 6 miles WNW of Ler-
wick, under which there is a post office. Containing
also the seaport and post-office village of Scalloway,
the parish is bounded N by Delting, NE by Nesting,
E by the sea, SE by Lerwick, S by Quarff, and W by
the sea and Sandsting. It includes the inhabited
islands of Hildesay, Langa, Linga, Oxna, and Trondra ;
and comprises the ancient parish of Weisdale on the N,
Whiteness in the centre, and part of the ancient parish
of Tingwall on the S, having till 1701 comprehended
likewise the Lerwick-proper district of Lerwick parish.
Its utmost length, from N to S, is 13J miles ; its utmost
breadth, from E to W, is 4| miles ; and its land area is
45f square miles or 29,204 acres. No part of it is more
than 2 or 3 miles from the sea, so deeply are its coasts
indented with voes or firths — Wadbister Voe, Lax Firth,
and Dales Voe on the E ; Clift Sound on the S ; and
Whiteness, Stromness, and Weisdale Voes on the W.
A ridge of hills, extending from N to S, divides the
parish into two distinct districts, and attains 921 feet
at Scalla Field, 511 at Hamarsland Hill, 442 at Her-
rislee Hill, and 418 at Steinswall Hill. Each of these
districts is disposed in straths, nearly parallel with
the ridge. The soil is either moss or a dark-coloured
loam ; and the moss generally lies on a ferruginous
subsoil, which is naturally impervious to water, and for
some years resists the plough, but yields to persevering
tillage, and enrichingly mingles with the soil. Much
waste land has of late years been reclaimed. In all the
straths is abundance of primitive limestone, and the
hills on the eastern side consist of clay and mica schists.
Near Rova Head is a bed of good blue roofing-slate ; and
in several of the meadows are beds of excellent shell-
marl. Of a score of fresh-water lakes and lakelets, the
largest are the Loch of Girlsta (1J mile x 3 furl.), Strom
Loch (2i miles x2J furl.), and Tingwall Loch (8-£x2J
furl. ). All afford good trout-fishing ; and on an islet,
called Lawting, in the last, the ' Grand Foud ' anciently
held his supreme court, and heard appeals. Hence the
name Tingwall (Norse Thingvollr, ' a field or place where
courts are held '). On an islet in Strom Loch is the ruin
of a small fortalice, said to have been inhabited by a
noble, whose father, a Jarl of Orkney, ordered him to
be put to death. Tumuli and flint implements are
numerous. Tingwall was anciently an archdeaconry ;
and for upwards of a century after the Reformation,
either itself or the village of Scalloway gave name to
the Shetland presbytery. The ancient churches of
Weisdale and Whiteness were dedicated respectively to
the Virgin Mary and St Ola ; and so powerful was the
hold which Catholicism had on the entire parish, that,
as we learn from the New Statistical Account, there are
' remains of a very great many pre-Keformation chapels.'
One proprietor holds an annual value of more than £500,
and 5 hold each between £100 and £500, 5 from £50 to
£100, and 13 from £20 to £50. Tingwall is in the
presbytery of Lerwick and the synod of Shetland ; the
living is worth £339. There are two parish churches,
each containing about 570 sittings — the one at Tingwall,
built in 1788 ; the other at Whiteness, by Strom Loch,
built in 1837. Six public schools — Girlsta, Gott, Scallo-
way, Trondra, Weisdale, and Whiteness — with total
accommodation for 391 children, had (1884) an average
attendance of 218, and grants amounting to £190, 5s. 8d.
Valuation (1860) £2791, (1884) £4577, 13s. 6d. Pop.
(1801) 1863, (1841) 2957, (1861) 2697, (1871) 2491, (1881)
2385, of whom 2164 belonged to the Mainland portion.
Tinto, a big porphyritic hill at the meeting-point of
Carmichael, Wiston, Symington, and Covington parishes,
Lanarkshire, flanking the left side of a detour of the
river Clyde, and culminating 7J miles SE of Lanark,
2J WSW of Symington Junction. Standing alone, and
dominating like a king over the Upper Ward, it is the

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence