Skip to main content

Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland > Volume 6

(258) Page 436 - TEV

‹‹‹ prev (257) Page 435Page 435

(259) next ››› Page 437Page 437

(258) Page 436 - TEV
TEVIOTDALE
in the shire, valued at £500 per annum. — Ord. Sur.,
sh. 17, 1864.
Teviotdale. See Teviot and Roxburghshire.
Teviothead, a parish of SW Roxburghshire, whose
church stands near the right bank of the Teviot, 14
miles N by E of Langholm and 9 SW of Hawick, under
which there is a post office. Formed in 1850 out of
Hawick and Cavers parishes, it is bounded NE by
Hawick, E by Kirkton and Cavers, SE by Castleton, S
and SW by Ewes, Westerkirk, and Eskdalemuir in
Dumfriesshire, and NW and N by Roberton. Its utmost
length, from NE to S W, is 1 Of miles ; its breadth
varies between 3J and 7£ miles ; and its area is nearly
49J square miles or 31,559J acres, of which 101 are
water. The Teviot, formed at Geddingscleuch, 700 feet
above sea-level, by head-streams that rise at an altitude
of from 1200 to 1300 feet close to the Dumfriesshire
border, winds 9J miles north-east-by-eastward, for the
last 3J furlongs along the Hawick boundary, till it
passes off into Hawick at Raesknowe. Allan Water,
formed by Priesthaugh and Skelfhill Burns, runs 5
miles north-north-eastward and north-north-westward,
for the last 2£ miles along the Kirkton and Hawick
boundary, till it falls into the Teviot at the northern
extremity of the parish ; and, with its affluent, the Dod
Burn, supplies the town of Hawick with water. The
surface, sinking to 490 feet above sea-level at the Allan's
influx to the Teviot, is everywhere hilly, chief elevations
to the NW of the Teviot, as one goes up the vale, being
Swansteads Hill (1093 feet), *Calfshaw Head (1320),
Blackcleueh (1050), and *Stock Hill (1561) ; to the SE,
Broadhaugh Hill (913), Skelfhill Pen (1745), *Cauld-
cleuch Head (1996), *Tudhope Hill (1961), and *Wisp
Hill (1950), where asterisks mark those summits that
culminate on the confines of the parish. The rocks are
chiefly Silurian ; and the soil of the arable lands is
mostly gravelly. The road from Hawick to Langholm
runs 8 miles through the parish — for 4| miles up the
vale of the Teviot as far as the church, and then for 3|
miles up the narrower glen of Frostley Burn to disused
Mosspaul inn at the Ewes boundary. Up this road,
on 23 Sept. 1803, drove Wordsworth and his sister
Dorothy, who writes in her Journal that ' the quantity
of arable land gradually diminishes, and the plantations
become fewer, till at last the river flows open to the
sun, mostly through unfenced and untilled grounds, a
soft pastoral district, both the hills and the valley
being scattered over with sheep. Here and there was a
single farm-house, or cluster of houses, and near them a
portion of land covered with ripe corn. Towards the
head of the vale of Teviot, where that stream is but a
small rivulet, we entered another valley. Hereabouts
Mr Walter Scott had directed us to look about for some
old stumps of trees, said to be the place where Johnnie
Armstrong was hanged ; but we could not find them
out. [See Caerlanrig.] The valley which we were
ascending, though, for aught I know, it is unnamed in
song, was to us more interesting than the Teviot itself.
Not a spot of tilled ground was there to break in upon
its pastoral simplicity ; the same soft yellow green
spread from the bed of the streamlet to the hill-tops on
each side, and sheep were feeding everywhere. It was
more close and simple than the upper end of the vale of
Teviot, the valley being much narrower, and the hills
equally high and not broken into parts, but on each
side a long range. The grass, as we tad first seen near
Crawfordjohn, had been mown in the different places of
the open ground, where it might chance to he best ;
but there was no part of the surface that looked perfectly
barren as in those tracts. We saw a single stone house
a long way before us, which we conjectured to be, as it
proved, Mosspaul, the inn where we were to bait. ' Teviot-
head Cottage was long the home of the poet, the Rev.
Henry Scott Riddell (1798-1870) ; and a spot overlook-
ing it is crowned with a large cairn to his memory. The
principal proprietors are the Duke of Buccleuch, Sir W.
Eliott, Bart., of Stobs, and five others. Teviothead is
in the presbytery of Jedburgh and the synod of Merse
and Teviotdale ; the living is worth £300. The church
436
THORNHILL
was built by the late Duke of Buccleuch in 1856, and
contains 320 sittings. Teviothead public and Allan-
water schools, with respective accommodation for 93
and 38 children, had (1884) an average attendance of
43 and 19, and grants of £53, Is. 6d. and £33, 3s. 6d.
Valuation (1864) £8805, 10s. 6d., (1885) £10,163,
13s. 4d. Pop. (1861) 438, (1871) 515, (1881) 486.—
Ord. Sur., shs. 17, 16, 1864.
Texa, an islet, 152 acres in area, off the SE coast of
Islay island, Argyllshire, 2 miles ESE of Port-Ellen.
Thainston, a seat of the Forbes-Mitchells, in Kintore
parish, Aberdeenshire, 2J miles NNW of Kintore town.
It is a handsome edifice, in a charming situation, with a
very extensive view ; and succeeded a previous mansion
which was plundered and burnt by the rebels in 1745.
— Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.
Thankerton. See Covington.
Thief's Road. See Peeblesshire.
Thirdpart, an estate in Kilrenny parish, E Fife, 1J
mile WSW of Crail. Its owner, Philip George
Anstruther, Esq. (b. 1875 ; sue. 1884), holds 1433
acres in the shire, valued at £3502 per annum. — Ord.
Sur., sh. 41, 1857.
Thirlestane Castle, a modern mansion, the seat of
Lord Napier and Ettrick, in Ettrick parish, Selkirkshire,
beautifully situated, amid extensive plantations, near
the left bank of Ettrick Water, 17 miles SW of Selkirk.
Immediately behind it is a ruined tower, the stronghold
of that Sir John Scott of Thirlestane whom James V. in
1542 pronounced ' Ready, aye ready ' for battle. His
descendant, Sir William Scott, Bart., in 1699 married
Elizabeth, Mistress of Napier, the great-great-grand-
daughter of the famous inventor of logarithms, John
Napier of Merchiston (1550-1617), whose son, Sir Archi-
bald, was created Baron Napier of Merchiston in 1627.
The fifth descendant of this marriage, Francis Napier,
present and ninth Lord Napier (b. 1819 ; sue. 1834), filled
various high diplomatic stations from 1840 to 1S65, and
was Governor of Madras from 1866 to 1870, when he
was created Baron Ettrick in the peerage of the United
Kingdom. He holds 69S8 acres in the shire, valued at
£2067 per annum.— Ord. Sur., sh. 16, 1864.
Thirlestane Castle, the seat of the Earl of Lauder-
dale, in Lauder parish, Berwickshire, on the right bank
of Leader Water, 3 furlongs NE of Lauder town.
Originally a strong tower called Lauder Fort, built by
Edward I. during his invasion of Scotland, it was reno-
vated or rebuilt by Chancellor Maitland, and acquired
from the Duke of Lauderdale a new front and wings,
together with great interior improvements. It now is
a massive and stately pile, partly ancient and partly
modern, whose decorations are mainly in the style of
Charles II. 's reign. Sir Richard de Maitland was lord
of Thirlestane in the latter half of the 13th century,
and among his descendants were the blind poet, Sir
Richard Maitland of Lethington (1496-1586) ; Wil-
liam Maitland, Secretary Lethington (1525-73), the
' Chameleon ; ' Sir John or Chancellor Maitland (1537-
95), created Lord Maitland of Thirlestane in 1590 ; John,
second Lord Maitland (d. 1645), created Earl of Lauder-
dale in 1624 ; John, secoud Earl (1616-82), created Duke
of Lauderdale in 1672, of Cabal fame ; and Charles,
twelfth Earl (1822-84), who was killed by lightning
whilst grouse -shooting near Lauder, and who held
25,512 acres, valued at £17,320 per annum. The title
is now claimed by Major Henry Maitland (b. 1840),
who is third in descent from the fourth son of the sixth
Earl, and by Sir James Gibson-Maitland, Bart., of
Sauchie (b. 1848), who is fourth in descent from his
fifth son.— Ord. Sur., sh. 25, 1865.
Thomaston, a ruined castle in Kirkoswald parish, Ayr-
shire, 4£ miles W by S of Maybole. It is said to have
been founded by a nephew of Robert Bruce in 1335.
Thorn, Loch. See Innerkip.
Thorn. See Johnstone, Renfrewshire.
Thornhill, a village in the detached section of Kin-
cardine parish, Perthshire, 4 miles WSW of Doune and
9J WNW of Stirling. It has a post office under
Stirling, with money order, savings' bank, and tele-

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence