Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (255) Page 433Page 433

(257) next ››› Page 435Page 435

(256) Page 434 -
a moderately fertile loam, resting on a clayey or gravelly
subsoil which in some parts is not so open as could be
wished ' (Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soc, 1881). About 500
acres are pastoral or waste, as much or rather more under
wood, and the rest of the land is in tillage. A subter-
ranean building, a subterranean cave or passage, several
stone coffins, and some small Roman antiquities have
been found at various periods. The Eev. John Glass
(1695-1773), the founder of the Glassites or Scottish
Sandemanians, was minister of Tealing from 1719 till
his deposition in 1728. Two proprietors hold each an
annual value of more, and four of less, than £500. Teal-
ing is in the presbytery of Dundee and the synod of
Angus and Mearns ; the living is worth £250. The
parish church was built in 1806, and contains 700 sit-
tings. There is also a Free church ; and a public school,
with accommodation for 138 children, had (1884) an
average attendance of 88, and a grant of £81, 5s. Valua-
tion (1857) £5825, (1885) £7605, 16s. Pop. (1801) 755,
(1831) 766, (1861) 883, (1871) 879, (1881) 757.— Ord.
Sur., shs. 48, 49, 57, 1865-68.
Teaninich House, a mansion in Alness parish, Ross-
shire, between Alness village and the Cromarty Firth.
Teith, The, a river of SW Perthshire, formed by two
head-streams which rise within f mile of one another,
and within 2J miles ENE of the head of Loch Lomond,
but which so far diverge from each other as to be at one
point 9J miles asunder. The northern one, rising at
an altitude of 1760 feet, runs 8J miles E by N to Loch
Doine (7J x 2J furl. ; 420 feet), passes 1J furlong thence
to Loch Voil (3£ miles x 3 furl. ; 414 feet), assumes
then the name of the Balvag, and winds 6 miles south-
south-eastward to Loch Ltjbnaig (3J miles x 3 furl. ;
405 feet), and thence, through the Pass of Leny, goes
3J miles south-eastward to a confluence with the other
head-stream in the vicinity of Callander. It thus has
a total course of 25J miles, mainly through the parish
of Balquhidder, but partly through that of Callander.
The southern head-stream, rising at an altitude of 1750
feet, runs 3J miles south-eastward through Glengyle
to Loch Katrine (8 miles x 7£ furl. ; 364 feet), from
its foot passes If mile east-by-southward through the
Trossachs to Loch Aohkay (1J mile x 3 furl. ; 276
feet), winds next If mile east-south-eastward to Loch
Vennachar (3| miles x 5 furl. ; 270 feet), and proceeds
thence 1J mile east-north-eastward to its confluence
with the other head-stream. It is thus, in a large
degree, the connecting stream of a chain of most pic-
turesque lakes ; and its length of run, inclusive of its
course through those lakes, is 20J miles, through or
along the borders of Callander, Buchanan, Aberfoyle,
and Port of Monteith parishes. The Teith proper, or
united stream, abounds in beautiful scenery, but has
none of the grand, bold, romantic features of its head-
waters. It runs 13J miles south-eastward through or
along the borders of Callander, Kilmadock, Kincardine,
and Lecropt parishes. Its tributaries are numerous ;
but, excepting Keltie Water, they are all inconsiderable.
The ' arrowy ' Teith, if either its volume of water or its
length of course had been made the ground of decision,
would have been regarded as the parent-stream, and the
Forth which joins it as the tributary. The point at
which they unite is the Bridge of Drip, 2J miles N¥
of Stirling. Yielding fairly good Salmon and trout
fishing, the Teith is a clear stream, and, for the most
part, rapid. It is excelled by none in Scotland for
water-power, or for general adaptation to manufacture ;
yet in consequence of the want of lime and coal there
is but a small aggregate of public works on its banks.
—Ord. Sur., shs. 46, 38, 39, 1869-72.
Templand, a village in Lochmaben parish, Dumfries-
shire, 2J miles N of the town. It has a post office
under Lockerbie.
Temple, a village and a parish in the S of Edinburgh-
shire. The village stands, 605 feet above sea-level, on
the right bank of the South Esk, 3 miles SW of Gore-
bridge station, 7 S by W of Dalkeith, and 12J SSE of
Edinburgh. It is a quiet, sequestered, little place, with
a post office under Gorebridge.
The parish is bounded NE by Borthwick, SE by
Heriot, S and SW by Innerleithen and Eddleston in
Peeblesshire, and NW by Penicuik and Carrington. Its
utmost length, from N by E to S by W, is 8J miles ;
its utmost breadth is 5g miles ; and the area is 22^
square miles or 14,478| acres, of which 228 lie detached,
and contain the greater part of Goeebp.idge village.
The river South Esk, rising at an altitude of 1700 feet
on the western slope of Blackhope Scar, winds 9J miles
north-by-eastward through all the length of the parish,,
and quits it at the influx of Fullarton or Redside Burn,
which traces all the north-western border. In the ex-
treme N the surface declines to 590 feet above the sea ;
and chief elevations to the E of the South Esk, as one
goes up the vale, are Cockmoor (990 feet), *Torfiehen
Hill (1508), *Mauldslie Hill (1684), Huntly Cot Hill
(1694), the Kipps (1776), and "Blackhope Scar (2136),
the loftiest of the Moorfoot Hills ; to the W, Toxside
Moss (900), *Jeffries Corse (2004), and *Bowbeat Hill
(2049), where asterisks mark those summits that cul-
minate on the confines of the parish. The rocks of the
hills are Lower Silurian ; those of the lower grounds of
the main body include abundance of limestone and
sandstone ; and those of the detached portion are car-
boniferous. The soil of the arable lands, though various,
is generally fertile ; but fully one-half of the entire area
is hilly and mountainous sheepwalk, black and moorish,
in aspect. Through Gladhouse reservoir, on the course
of the South Esk, this parish furnishes one-fourth of
the entire water-supply of Edinburgh, the new works
having been formally opened on 13 June 1879 ; and two
additional reservoirs (Rosebery and Edgelaw) have been
constructed for compensation purposes. Rosebery and
Toxside, both noticed separately, are the chief resi-
dences ; and the principal proprietors are R. Dundas, Esq.
of Arniston and the Earl of Rosebery, 2 others holding
each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 1 of between
£100 and £500, and 4 of from £50 to £100. The'present
parish comprises the ancient parish of Clerkington, and
the ehapelries of Moorfoot and Balantradoch. Clerking-
ton, previous to the Reformation, was a vicarage under
the monks of Newbattle. Moorfoot comprehended the
upper half of the vale of the South Esk ; and was a
chapelry established by the Newbattle monks, to whom
the lands had been gifted. The chapelry of Balantra-
doch, after the suppression of the Knights Templars,
was granted in 1312 by Pope Clement V. to the
Hospitallers or Knights of St John. The three districts
having been united after the Reformation, assumed
their present name from the circumstance of the chapel
of the Templars being adopted as their common or
parochial church. Giving off its detached portion to
Stobhill quoad sacra parish, Temple is in the presbytery
of Dalkeith and the synod of Lothian and Tweeddale ;.
the living is worth £218. The old parish church, still
standing, is an oblong structure (54/-* x 17J feet), a
simple but pleasing specimen of the transition from the
First Pointed to the Scottish Decorated style. It has
two long, narrow lancet windows (now blocked up), a
large three-light E window, and smaller three-light
windows on the S side ; and it retains a piscina and
Easter sepulchre. On the E gable below the belfry is
an inscription which has puzzled antiquaries. The
church formed part of a preceptory of the Knights
Templars, wdiich, founded by David I., and originally
called Balantradoch, was the chief seat of the order in
Scotland. The present parish church is a neat edifice-
of 1832, containing 400 sittings. There is also a Free
church ; and Temple public and Toxside schools, with
respective accommodation for 105 and 47 children, had
(1884) an average attendance of 73 and 33, and grants
of £66, 18s. 6d. and £45, 10s. 6d. Valuation (I860)
£7830, (1885) £10,060, phis £9924 for railway and
waterworks. Pop. of civil parish (1S01) 855, (1831)1255,
(1861) 1385, (1S71) 1536, (18S1) 1551 ; of ecclesiastical
parish (1871) 658, (1SS1) 541.— Ord. Sur., shs. 32, 24,.
Templelands. See Strathmiglo.
Temple Liston. See Kirkliston.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence