Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (55) Page 535Page 535

(57) next ››› Page 537Page 537LOC

(56) Page 536 -
LOCHINDORB
eastward to the centre of the island, it measures 8 miles
across the entrance, and contracts gradually over the
first 4| miles to a breadth of 6f miles. It then
expands on the E side into Laggan Bay, then over
the last 6 J miles has an average breadth of only about 2
miles ; and, though all comparatively shallow, is much
frequented by shipping, and abounds in fish. A light-
house, designated of the Rhynns of Islay, stands on
Oversay islet, adjacent to the W side of the loch's
entrance, and shows a flashing light every 5 seconds,
visible at the distance of 17 nautical miles ; and another
lighthouse, designated of Loch Indal, stands on Dune
Point, and shows a fixed white light from NE by £ to
about N by E half E, a red light from about N by E
half E to about W half N, and a white light from about
W half N" to SW by AV three-quarters W, visible at the
distance of 12 nautical miles. Dioptric prisms of a
new form were introduced to the latter lighthouse in
1869.
Lochindorb (Gael, loch-an-doirhh, 'the lake of
trouble '), a loch in the county of Elgin, partly in the
parish of Ediskillie, hut mostly in the parish of
Cp.ojidale, and just touched on the W side f mile from
the N end by the county of Nairst. It is 2 miles in a
straight line, or 3 miles by road, SW of Dava station
on the Highland railway, and 6 miles in a straight line
NNW of Grantown. It is 2| miles long from NNE to
SSW, a little over § mile wide at the broadest part near
the centre, and -^^ mile wide, farther to the SW, at the
narrowest part, where the county of Nairn touches the
edge, and 24 feet deep at the deepest part. At the
SSW end.it receives the burns of Glentarroch and Feith
a Mhor Fhir, and several other small burns flow into it
at other points, while the surplus water is carried off by
the DoEBOOK Burn, which flows out near the NWE and
takes a northerly course to its junction with the DiviE,
and so to the Findhoen. The boundary line between
Edinkillie and Cromdale passes in a straight line from
the point where the Dorbock leaves the loch, to the W
side at the narrowest part, just opposite the projection
below Lochindorb Lodge. The hills about it, though of
considerable height, lose a good deal of their effect in
consequence of the height of the surface of the loch
itself, which is 969 feet above sea-level, and the effect
therefore is pretty rather than grand, particularly
as there is very little wood. On the W the hills rise
gently to a height of over 1000 feet ; on the E a little
more abruptly to Craig Tiribeg (1586) and Carn Ruigh
na Caorach (1585) ; while to the NNE the Knock of Brae-
nioray (1493) towers above the valley of the Dorbock.
The loch is preserved, and the fishing is good, the trout
weighing from J to | lb. Near the N" end was the old
king's highway between Findhorn and Spey, which is
mentioned as early as the time of Alexander II. in
1236. The historical associations of the loch are impor-
tant, and are connected with the castle, the ruins of
which still remain on a small island of about an acre in
extent, J mile from the NNE end of the lake, and 350
yards distant from its E side. The water round it is
about 20 feet deep, and the island rises steeply and has
almost its entire area covered by the castle. It is said
to be artificial, for, according to the Old Statistical Ac-
count, ' great rafts or planks of oak, by the beating of
the waters against the old walls, occasionally make their
appearance ; ' and Mr James Brown, in his Round Tabic
Club, says that an old gamekeeper in Elgin had once got
his boat's anchor fixed among oak planks. The ruins at
present consist of a wall about 21 feet high and 7 feet 8
inches thick, which forms an irregular quadrangle, with
round towers with sloping bases at the four corners.
The length of the quadrangle within walls is 180 feet,
and the width 126. Round this, inside the walls, there
had been houses all round, but of these no traces now
remain. On the S side the foundations of the chapel, 40
leet long, 25 wide, and with walls 3 thick, may still be
traced ; while to the E is the square keep. When the Okl
Statistical Account was written in 1793, the whole of the
towers were standing, though only one is now at all
entire. There were then also traces of houses round the
536
LOCHINVAE
inside of the walls, and the principal entrance — a pointed
arch with a portcullis — is descrilied as very fine. The
portcullis is said now to be at Cawdor Castle. The
building is of the kind which, from the date of their
erection, are known as 'Edwardian,' of which other
examples still remain in Scotland, at Bothwell, Divleton,
Kildrummy, and Caerlaverock. Tytler supposes that
Edward I. merely added to the fortifications, but Taylor,
in his Edward I. in the North of Scotland, probably
rightly, thinks that the greater part of the building was
erected by Edward's orders between 1303 and 1306.
Prior to that, the castle, which was much smaller, and
probably a mere hunting-seat, belonged to the Cumyns,
Lords of Badenoch, to crush whose power Edward I.
made his expedition to the N of Scotland in 1303.
Edward arrived here on 25 Sept. , and took up his resi-
dence in such castle as there then was, while his army
encamped on the shore to the E. He remained here till
5 Oct., received the homage of many of the northern
nobles, and during his intervals of leisure enjoyed the
pleasures of the chase in the surrounding district, which,
bare as it now is, was at that time covered with the
woods of the royal forests of Leanich and Drummynd.
Walsingham and John of London mention that, ' when
he had leisure from war, he indulged in the hunting
alike of birds and beasts, and more particularly of stags ;'
while Hardyng in his chronicle advises Edward IV. to
take with him in the invasion of Scotland ' kennets and
ratches, and seek out all the forests with hounds and
horns, as King Edward with the Longshanks did.' After
the fall of the English power, it seems to have remained
a royal castle, probablj' in the keeping of the Earls of
Moray, but during the minority of David II. it was held
by the Earl of Athole for the English party, and after
his defeat and death at Kilblane his wife and some other
ladies fled hither for refuge in 1335. The castle was at
once besieged by Sir Andrew Murray, the regent, who
had already won all the other northern strongholds for
King David. The siege was carried on for some time,
and traces of the works are still to be seen on the point
nearest the castle, on the E side ; but in 1336 Edward
III. advanced with a large army, and compelled Murray
to retreat. In 1342 we find the place used as a state
prison, and in that year William Bulloch, a favourite
of David II., and a deserter from the Baliol party, who
was suspected of hankering after his old associates,
was imprisoned here and died of cold and hunger.
When John Dunbar was made Earl of Moray in
1372, Badenoch was excepted from the grant of
lands, and the castle became the stronghold of the
king's son, the well-known Wolfe of Badenoch, and \Yas
the place from which he made his descent on FoKRE.s
and Elgin. When Archibald Douglas became Earl of
Moray he strengthened the castle, and after his fall at
Arkinholme in 1455, one of the reasons of his for-
feiture, as set forth in the Act of Parliament, was ' pro
munitione et fortificatione castrorum de Lochindorb et
Tarnua contra Regem,' and when James II. passed
north after this, he entrusted the Thane of Cawdor with
the oversight of the destruction of the fortress, a work
carried out at the expense of £24. After this time it
again reverted to the Earls of Moray, who in 1606 sold
it to an ancestor of the present Earl of Cawdor, and the
Cawdor family about 1750 sold it to the Earl of Seafield,
whose property it now is, though the Moray estate still
reaches the banks of the loch.
See also Sir Thomas Dick Lauder's Wolfe of Badenoch
(Edinb. 1827), and his Account of the Great Moray Floods
(Edinb. 1830); Tuylofs Edicard I. in the North of Scot-
land (Elgin, 1858) ; and chap. xx. of James Brown's
Round TaMc Chib (Elgin, 1873).
Lochinvar, a lake in Dairy parish, N Kirkcudbright-
shire, 6 miles NNE of New Galloway. Lying 770 feet
above sea-level, it has an utmost length and breadth of
4J and 2J furlongs ; sends off a burn south-south-west-
ward to Ken AVater ; is stocked with very fine trout ;
and contains an islet, with vestiges of the ancient
baronial fortalice of the Gordons, Knights of Lochinvar,
ancestors of the Viscounts Kenmure, and one of them

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence