Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (53) Page 533Page 533

(55) next ››› Page 535Page 535

(54) Page 534 -
onsly in the view from Balgay Park, and from a long
reach of country to the W ; and contains 1000 sittings.
The Free church was built in 1846, and the Baptist
chapel in 1866. St Margaret's Episcopal church, built in
1861, is a plain Middle Pointed ediiice, with nave and
chancel, and 120 sittings. The Roman Catholic church
of the Immaculate Conception was built in 1866, and
contains 700 sittings ; whilst St Clement's (1857) is now
the chapel of the Wellburn Asylum, conducted by the
Little Sisters of the Poor, for 200 old and destitute men
and women. Handloom weaving of coarse linen fabrics
was long the principal occupation of the inhabitants,
and towards the close of last century employed nearly
300 looms, and produced goods to the value of £12,520
a year. Bleaching was afterwards introduced, and con-
tinued to increase till it occupied, in 1819 and pi-evious
years, an area of not less than 25 acres. Factories for
spinning, weaving, dyeing, bleaching, printing, and
calendering were afterwards erected, and soon employed
so many hands as to lead to a great and rapid extension
of the town. The principal factory, the Camperdown
Linen "Works of Messrs Cos Brothers, on the N side of
the to'mi, occupies an area of 22 acres, and was erected
in 1849-64. The largest jute factory in the world, it
is a neat and regular suite of buildings, with an elegant
clock-turret, a gigantic chimney-stalk, 282 feet high,
which alone cost £6000, a half-time free school, etc. It
employs 5000 persons mthin its own limits, besides 400
who work in their own houses ; contains 820 power-looms
engaged on flax or jute sackings, and 150 handlooms
engaged on carpeting ; has steam-engines varying from
3 to 120 horse-power, and aggregately equal to 2600 horse-
power, and 34 boilers each 35 feet long, and 7 feet in
diameter ; and turns out annually some 24, 000,000 yards
of sacking, and 14,000,000 yards of other fabrics. An
excellent sandstone has long been worked in several
q^uarries contiguous to Lochee, and was a chief material
in the construction of Dundee harbour. Pop. (1881) of
Lochee quoad sacra parish, 2762 ; of St Luke's, 3716 :
of Lochee registration district (1871) 11,076, (1881)
12,370, ofwhom 5214 were males. Houses (1831) 2493 in-
habited, 110 vacant, 1 building. —0?-d,S'itr.,sh. 48, 1868.
Lochenbreck, an hotel and a spa in Balmaghie parish,
Kirkcudbrightshire, on the Woodhall estate, 4 miles S
by W of New Galloway station. Near it is Lochenbreck
Loch (2|x2 furl.; 650 feet), with remains of a cran-
noge. — Orel. Sur., sh. 5, 1857.
Lochend, a small lake in South Leith parish, Edin-
burghshire, on the burgh boundaries of both Leith and
Edinburgh, 5 furlongs NW of Jocks Lodge. It lies on
the margin of a plain, extending to Leith and to the base
of Calton Hill ; has an utmost length and breadth of 390
and 160 yards ; was formerly much more extensive than
now ; and is believed to have been only one of a chain of
lakes, occupying much of the south-western portion of
the plain. It gave once water-supply to Leith for all uses,
and still gives it for manufacturing uses ; and is over-
hung, on one side, by a short range of low cliffy rocks,
crowned with vestiges of the castle of Logan of Restalrig.
A strijj of ground along its western margin, formerly
covered with its water, but now left bare, was discovered
in 1871 to contain what appears to have been part of a
great wooden framework sustaining an ancient lake
village.— Ore?. Sxir., sh. 32, 1857.
Lochend, a place in Kirkgunzeon parish, Kirkcud-
brightshire, 4 mile SE of Killywhan station, and 7 miles
SW of Dumfries. Here is the Free church of Lochend
and Newabbey. Loch Arthur or Lochend Loch, imme-
diately to the E, is noticed under Newabbey.
Lochend, a post-olSce hamlet in Inverness parish, at
the foot of Loch Ness, 5J miles SSW of the town.
Lochend House, a seat of Sir George Warrender, Bart. ,
in Dunbar parish, Haddingtonshire, J mile S of Dunbar
tovm. Its predecessor, a handsome Gothic ediiice, was
reduced to ruins by fire in 1859. See Bruntsfield. —
Orel. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.
Locher Water, a pretty rivulet of Picnfrewshire, rising
at an altitude of S30 feet above sea-level, and winding
8 miles east-north-eastward, chiefly within Kilbarchan
parish, till, after a total descent of 805 feet, it falls into '
Gryfe Water, at a point If mile E of Houston village.
A petrifying spring on its banks has yielded many
beautiful specimens of dendritic carbonate of lime. —
Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.
Loch Fannyside. See Fannysidb.
Loch Feachan. See Feachan.
Loch Fell, a mountain of N Dumfriesshire, at the
meeting-point of Eskdalemuir, Hutton, Wamphray, and
Moffat parishes, 5§ miles E of Mofi'at town. One of the
Hartfell group, it rises to an altitude of 2256 feet above
sea-level.— 07-rf. Sur., sh. 16, 1864.
Lochfield, a hamlet in Annan parish, Dumfriesshire,
1 mile E of the town.
Loehfoot, a village in Lochrutton parish, Kirkcud-
brightshire, at the foot of Lochrutton Loch, 5J mUes
WSW of Dumfries, under which it has a post office.
Lochgair, a small sea-loch, a hamlet, and a mansion
in Kilmichael-Glassary parish, ArgyEshire. The sea-
loch, opening from the W side of Loch Eyne, penetrates
the land 7 furlongs north-north-westward, and receives
a streamlet IJ mile long from Loch Glashan. The
hamlet, at the head of the sea-loch, 4J miles SSW of
Minard, has a post office, a small mission church of
the Church of Scotland, and a public school. Th&
mansion, in the vicinity of the hamlet, succeeded an
ancient baronial fortalice, which was long the seat of
extensive clan-power. — Ord. Sur., sh. 37, 1876.
Loch Garve. See Gakve.
Lochgelly, a police burgh in Auchterderran parish,
SW Fife. It stands 460 feet above sea-level, 5 furlongs
NW of Loch Gelly, and f mile S by E of Lochgelly
station on the Dunfermline branch of the North British
railway, this being 7| miles WSW of Thornton Junc-
tion and 7J ENE of Dunfermline. The headquarters
till 1798 of a gang of notorious Gipsies, it dates mostly
from modern times, and owes its rapid rise in prosperity
and population to the extensive collieries and iron-
works of the Lochgelly Coal and Iron Company (1850).
It has a post office, mth money order, saviugs' bank,
and railway telegraph departments, a branch of the
Union Bank, 6 insurance agencies, an hotel, a police
station, a public water supply (1880), a subscription
Ubrary (1867), a floral and horticultural society (1871),
a co-operative society (1866), a Good Templar's lodge
(1871), a masonic lodge, a curling club (1831), and
cattle fairs on the first Thursday of April o.s., the third
Wednesdays of July and September, and the first Thurs-
day of November. The Established church, built as a
chapel of ease in 1855, in 1868 was raised to quoad sacra
status. The Free church was built about 1860 ; the
U.P. church, which was long the only place of worship
in the town, contains 400 sittings ; and St Patrick's
Roman Catholic church (1877) contains 250. Two
public schools. East and West, with respective accom-
modation for 390 and 310 children, had (1883) an
average attendance of 367 and 294, and grants of £321,
2s. 6d. and £257, 5s. Loch Gelly, lying chiefly in
Auchterderran parish, but partly in Auchtertool, mea-
sures 5| by 3i furlongs, and is wooded and beautiful on
its northern bank, but elsewhere bleak and tame.
Lochgelly House, a seat of the Earl of Minto, stands
near the NW corner of the lake, and has pleasant
grounds. The municipal voters numbered 300 in 1884,
when the annual value of real property within the burgh
amounted to £4290, whilst the revenue, including assess-
ments, is £480. Pop. of q. s. parish (1881) 3190, of
whom 605 were in Ballingry parish ; of police burgh
(1831) 612, (1861) 1629, (1871) 2496, (1881) 2601, of
whom 117 were in Ballingry, and 1242 were females.
Houses (1881) 500 inhabited, 98 vacant, 4 building. —
Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867.
Loch Gilp. See Gilp.
Lochgilphead, a small town in Kilmichael-Glassary
parish, Argyllshire, round the northern end of Loch
GUp, which opens from Loch Fyne, 125 miles W by N
of Edinburgh, 80 WNW of Glasgow, 51 N by E of
Campbeltown, 24J SSW of Inveraray, 13J N of Tarbert,
and 2 NNE of Ardrishaig. By its nearness to the

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence