Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (52) Page 532Page 532LOC

(54) next ››› Page 534Page 534

(53) Page 533 -
LOCHCARRON
taining the stations of Attadale, Stratlicarron, and
Auclinashellach, on the Dingwall and Skj'e branch
(1870) of the Highland railway, IS, 45f, and 40 miles
WSW of Dingwall. Containing also the fishing village
of Jeantown or Lochcarron, it is hounded N by
Gairloch, E by Contin, SE by Urray (detached) and
Lochalsh, S by Lochalsh and salt-water Loch Carron, and
W by Applecross. Its utmost length, from NE to
SW, is 20J miles ; its utmost breadth is lOg miles ; nd
its area is ISO^v square miles, or 83, 656 J acres, of which
1262g are water, 54^ tidal water, and 851J foreshore.
The upper 8f miles of beautiful Loch Carron, J to If
mile broad, belong to this parish, which takes its name
therefrom, except that Strome Ferry terminus and the
last 2i miles of the railway (closely skirting all the
south-eastern shore) are in the parish of Lochalsh.
The river Carron, issuing from Loch Scaven or Sgamhain
(9 X 2J furl. ; 491 feet) on the Contin border, flows 14
miles south-westward to the head of Loch Carron, and
about midway in its course expands into Loch Doule or
Dhughaill (11 x 3 furl. ; 100 feet). Lochs Coulin and
Clair, together 2-J miles long, and from 50 to 600 yards
troad, lie on the Gaielouh border at an altitude of 300
feet, and send off a stream towards the head of Loch
Maree ; Loch an Laoigh (1 x J mile ; 893 feet) lies on
the Lochalsh border, and sends off a stream toAvards the
head of Loch Long ; and elsewhere, either on the
boundaries or dotteii over the interior, are fully thirty
smaller lakes and lakelets. The surface is everywhere
mountainous. Chief elevations to the N"W of loch and
river, as one goes up Glencarron, are Bad a' Chreamha
(1293 feet), GlasBheinn (2330), Torrnah-Iolaire (1383),
Meall a' Chinn Deirg (3060), Fuar ThoU (2S68), Sgurr
Euadh (3141), Beinn Liath Mhor (3034), and Cam
Breac (2220) ; to the SE, Carn nan lomaireau (1523),
Creag a' Chaoruinn Eagan (2260), Sgurr Choinnich
(3260), and Moruisk (3026). The predominant rock is
gneiss, conjoined with q^uartzite, clay-slate, and lime-
stone ; Old Red sandstone occurs separately ; and the
presence of iron is indicated by a few chalybeate springs.
The soU is exceedingly various. A good deal has been
done in the way of planting, fencing, reclaiming, and
road-making on the Auchnashellach and Lochcarron
estates ; but less than a twentieth of the entire area is
in tillage or under wood. One of the twenty-five fishery
districts of Scotland bears the designation of Loch
Carron and Skye. "Within this district the number of
boats at the beginning of 1883 was 743, of fishermen
2152, of fishcurers 87, and of coopers 58, whilst the
value of boats was £5738, of nets £18,074, and of lines
.£2429. The following is the number — of barrels of her-
rings cured or salted in different years (1854) 2056, (1874)
17,932, (1878)6682, (1881)53,649*, (1882) 77,783 ; of cod,
ling, and hake taken (1871) 30,552, (1874)15,180, (1879)
44,945, and (1882) 22,160. The only antiquities are an
old circular dun or fort behind Jeantown, and the remains
of Strome Castle, once a stronghold of the Macdonalds
of Glengarry. Two Gaelic poets of the early part of the
18th century, "William and Alexander Mackenzie, were
natives of Lochcarron. Courthill House, in a small de-
tached fragment of the parish, at the head of Loch
Eishorn, 5* miles W by N of Jeantown, is on the Loch-
carron estate, which in 1882 was sold by Dugald Stuart,
Esq., to C. J. Murray, Esq., M.P. Auchnashellach is
a shooting lodge of Ivor-Bertie Guest, created Baron
"Wimborne in 1880 ; and two other proprietors hold
each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 1 of between
£100 and £500, and 2 of from £20 to £50. Giving oflf
a portion to Shieldaig parliamentary parish, Lochcarron
is the seat of a presbytery in the synod of (jlenelg ; the
living is worth £222. The parish church, 1^ mile NNE
of Jeantown, was built in 1751, and contains upwards of
300 sittings. There is also a Free church ; and four
public schools — Attadale, Balnachra, Lochcarron, and
Strome — with respective accommodation for 43, 50, 170,
and 56 children, had (1883) an average attendance of
31, 13, 71, and 27, and grants of £38, 6s. 6d., £24, 12s.,
£65, 16s. 6d., and £29, lis. 6d. Valuation (I860)
£3271, (1884) £5699, 19s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 1178, (1831)
LOCHEE
2136, (1861) 1592, (1871) 1629, (1881) 1456, of whom
1311 were Gaelic-speaking, and 1405 were in the ecclesi-
astical parish. — Ord. Sar., shs. 82, 81, 18S2.
The presbytery of Lochcarron comprises the quoad
civilia parishes of Applecross, Gairloch, Glenelg, Glen-
shiel, Kin tail, Loclialsb, Lochbroom, and Lochcarron,
and the quoad sacra parishes of Knoydart, Plockton,
Poolewe, Shieldaig, and Ullapool. Pop. (1871) 18,712,
(1881) 17,243, of whom 297 were communicants of the
Church of Scotland in 1878. — The Free Church also has
a presbytery of Lochcarron, with churches at Apple-
cross, Coigach, Gairloch, Glenelg, Glenshiel, Lochalsh,
Lochbroom, Lochcarron, Plockton, Poolewe, and Shiel-
daig, which 11 churches together had 5653 members
and adherents in 1883.
Loch Carroy, etc. See Carrot, etc.
Lochoote House, a handsome mansion of 1843 in Tor-
phichen parish, Linlithgowshire, 4^- miles N of Bath-
gate. Its owner, William David Forbes, Esq. (b. 1876;
sue. 1883), holds 1193 acres in the shire, valued at
£1205 per annum. —OrfZ. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.
Loohdochart Lodge, a modern mansion in Eillin
parish, "W Perthshire, on the northern shore of Loch
lubhair near its foot, 3f miles ENE of Crianlarich
station. Its owner, Edward Gordon Place, Esq. (b.
1827), holds 10,500 acres in the shire, valued at £1130
per annum. — Ord. Sur., sh. 46, 1872.
Lochearnhead, a village in Balquhidder parish, Perth-
shire, at the head of Loch Earn, IJ mUe NjSTE of Loch-
earnhead station on the Callander and Oban railway,
this being 12 miles NNW of Callander. It is a small
and scattered place ; but it stands amid delightful
scenery of lake, wood, glen, and mountain, and serves
as a fine centre for tourists, communicating by public
coach, during the summer months, wdth Crieif. At it
are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and
telegraph departments, two schools, and a good hotel.
Here, on 10 Sept. 1842, the Queen changed horses on
her way from Taymouth to Drummond Castle ; and at
the hotel, on 6 Sept. 1869, she called on Sir Malcolm
and Lady Helen Macgregor. — Ord. Sur., sh. 46, 1872.
Lochee, a town on the E border of Liff and Benvie
parish, Forfarshire, If mile by road NW of the centre
of Dundee, but 6 miles by the jSTewtyle branch of the
Caledonian railway. Forming part of the parliamentary
and royal burgh of Dundee, it may be regarded as mainly
a suburb thereof ; yet it has the history, the propor-
tions, and, to some extent, the interests of a separate
town. With scarcely one building a century old, it
long presented, and partly still presents, an uncontinu-
ous and dispersed appearance, as it was formed without
any precise alignment, and with reference only to the
narrownotions and the private conveniencesoftheoriginal
and early feuars, so that it largely consists of mere lanes
and incommodious thoroughfares. Still, it exhibits
results of important improvements, tasteful renovations,
and well-arranged extensions ; is traversed by a very
creditable main street, with substantial houses and
good shops ; shares the amenities of the fine public
park of Balgay Hill, acquired in 1871 for the use of its
inhabitants, and for those in the W end of Dundee ;
and has a post office under Dundee, with money order,
savings' bank, insurance, and telegraph departments,
branches of the Royal and North of Scotland Banks,
two chief inns, and a number of miscellaneous institu-
tions. Of two Established churches, the first, Lochee
(1150 sittings), was built in 1829-30. It was recently
remodelled through the liberality of Mr Thomas H. Cox
at a cost of £5000, and in 1880 was raised to quoad sacra
status. The second, St Luke's (760 sittings), was
formerly a U.P. church, which, becoming insuiEcient
for the increasing congregation, was purchased for the
Establishment in 1874 for £1500, and was made quoad
sacra in the succeeding year. The U.P. church, suc-
cessor to what is now St Luke's, was built in 1871 at a
cost of £4000 ; and has a tower and spire rising to the
height of 172 feet, and containing a iiue peal of bells,
the automatic arrangement for the ringing of which is
the onlv one of the kind in Scotland. It figures conspicu-
533

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence