Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (286) Page 248Page 248

(288) next ››› Page 250Page 250

CASTLE-DOUGLAS
average attendance of 153 and 174, and grants of £151,
8s. 6d. and £161. There is also a Roman Catholic
school, with accommodation for 66. Pop. (1S41) 1847,
(1861) 2261, (1871) 2274, (1SS1) 2490.— Orel. Sur., sh. 5,
1857. See chap. i. of Harper's Rambles in Galloway
(Edinb. 1876), and pp. 34-39 of Maxwell's Stcwartry of
Kirkcudbright (Castle-Douglas, 1878).
Castle-Douglas and Dumfries Railway, a railway-
partly in Dumfriesshire but chiefly in Kirkcudbright-
shire, from a junction with the Glasgow and South-
Western in the vicinity' of D umfri es station, 19J miles
south-westward to Castle-Douglas. It was authorised
in 1856, on a capital of £120,000 in shares and £40,000
in loans ; was opened 7 Nov. 1860 ; and was amalga-
mated with the Glasgow and South-Western 5 July
1865.
Castle-Drumin, a ruined baronial fortalice in Inver-
aven parish, Banffshire, on the peninsula at the con-
fluence of the rivers Aven and Livet. Nearly half of it
has fallen, but the rest is tolerably entire, rises to a
considerable height, and has great thickness of wall
Castle-Duart. See Duart.
Castledykes, a picturesque spot in Dumfries parish,
Dumfriesshire, overlooking a beautiful bend of the
river Nith, § mile SSE of Dumfries town. A castle of
the Comyns stood on it, and figures in the history of the
days of Bruce, but has completely disappeared.
Castle-Feather, an ancient fortification on the S coast
of Whithorn parish, Wigtownshire, crowning an almost
sheer precipice of over 100 fee.t, and enclosing nearly an
acre of ground, 5 furlongs W by N of Borough Head.
Castlefern, a rivulet of Glencairn parish, W Dumfries-
shire, rising on Troston Hill (1271 feet), close to the
Kirkcudbrightshire border. Along that border and
through the interior of Glencairn it flows 7 miles south-
eastward and north-eastward, till, J mile S of Moniaive
village, it unites with Craigdarroch and Dalwhat Waters
to form the river Cairn.
Castle - Forbes, a mansion in Keig parish, central
Aberdeenshire, 3 miles N of Whitehouse station, this
being 26| WNW of Aberdeen. Standing on the left
bank of the Don, on the finely-wooded slope of the SW
base of Bennochie, it is a good modern granite edifice,
designed in the Scottish Baronial style by the late
Archibald Simpson, Esq. Its owner, Horace-Courtenay
Forbes, nineteenth Baron Forbes since 1442 (b. 1829 ;
sue. 1S68), is premier baron of Scotland, and twenty-
third in direct descent from John de Forbes (flo. 1200) ;
he holds in the shire 13,621 acres, valued at £5676 per
annum.
Castle Fraser, a grand old mansion in Cluny parish,
central Aberdeenshire, 3 miles ESE of Monymusk sta-
tion. A six-storied quadrangular building, erected at
different periods between 1454 and 1618, it has a square
tower to the W, and a round one, 100 feet high, to the
SE ; and it is one of the finest specimens of Flemish
architecture in Scotland. Its original name was Muchells,
Muehal, or Muchil-in-Mar ; and from 1633 to 1720 four
Frasers of Muchells bore the title of Baron Fraser, the
second being a zealous Covenanter, and the fourth as
zealous a Jacobite. The latter was succeeded by his
stepson, Charles Fraser, 'Old flnverallochie,' whose son
and namesake, commanding the Frasers at Culloden,
was brutally shot by order of the Duke of Cumberland ;
and whose present descendant, Fred. Mackenzie Fraser,
Esq. (b. 1831 ; sue. 1S71), holds 4247 acres in the shire,
valued at £3697 per annum.
Castles Girnigoe and Sinclair, two neighbouringruined
fortalices on the coast of Wick parish, Caithness, crowning
a rocky peninsula, a little W of Noss Head, and 3 J miles
NNE of Wick town. Built mainly at a time unknown
to record, and partly in the 16th century, they were the
chief strongholds of the Sinclairs, Earls of Caithness ;
and, of great extent and irregular structure, included
an extant five-storied tower, 50 feet high. A room in
Castle-Sinclair, said to have been the bedchamber of
the Earls, communicated through a trap-door with the
sea ; and the whole was so strong, by both nature and
art, as to be impregnable prior to the invention of
CASTLE-KENNEDY
gunpowder. In a dark dungeon here, John Garrow,
Master of Caithness, was imprisoned (1576-82) by his
father, the fourth Earl, whom he had displeased by his
lenity towards the townsfolk of Dornoch. At last his
keepers, having kept him for some time without food,
gave him a large mess of salt beef, and then withhold-
ing all drink from him, left him to die of raging thirst.
The singular episode of the coiner Smith (1612) and the
capture of Girnigoe by Sir Rt. Gordon (1623) are re-
counted in vol. i., pp. 436, 532, of Chambers's Domestic
Annals (1S58).
Castle-Gloom. See Castle-Campbell.
Castlegower. See Buittle.
Castle-Grant, a mansion in Cromdale parish, Elgin-
shire, 2J miles W of the river Spey, and 2J NNE of
Grantown. A plain old castellated edifice, consisting
of a high quadrangular five-storied pile, with lower
lateral wings, it underwent extensive repairs and im-
provements about 1836 ; it contains a superb dining-
room, 47 feet by 27 ; and its extensive grounds are
finely adorned with venerable trees, and command an
imposing prospect, bounded on the sky-line by the
Grampians. On 5 Sept. 1860, the Queen and Prince
Consort drove incognito to Castle-Grant — ' a fine (not
Highland-looking) park, with a very plain-looking
house, like a factory.' Castle-Grant is the ancestral
seat of the Grants of Grant, of whom Sir Lewis Alex.
Grant, Bart. , succeeded in 1811 to the lands and earl-
dom of Seafield ; his great-nephew Ian Charles Grant-
Ogilvie, eighth Earl of Seafield since 1701 (b. 1S51 ;
sue. 18S1), holds in Moray 305,891 acres, valued at
£71,883 per annum. See also Cullen and Bal-
MAOAAN.
Castlehaven, the stronghold of Sir Neil Cunningham,
on the coast of Crail parish, E Fife, which, falling into
ruin, was demolished in 1839.
Castlehaven, a creek in Tarbat parish, NE Ross-shire,
at the extreme point of the Tarbat peninsula. It is tra-
ditionally said to have anciently had a fort on an islet
within it ; and it gives the title of Baroness to the
Countess of Cromartie. It is accessible only to boats,
and to these only at high water.
Castlehill. See Carluke and Kippen.
Castlehill, a post office hamlet in the parish and 3 miles
E by S of the post-town of Inverness.
Castle-Huntly, an estate, with a noble old baronial
mansion, in Longforgan parish, Perthshire. The man-
sion, li mile NNW of the Firth of Tay, and 7 miles W
of Dundee, is situated on the summit of a high rock,
which, on the SW side, rises sheer up from the dead
level of the Carse of Gowrie, and on the E sinks gradu-
ally to the plain. It was built, under royal licence of
26 Aug. 1452, by Andrew, second Lord Gray of Foulis,
and was named, according to a baseless tradition, after
his lady, a daughter of the Earl of Huntly. In 1615 it
was sold to Patrick Lyon, first Earl of Kinghorn ; and,
becoming the favourite residence of his grandson and
namesake, the third Earl of Kinghorn and first of
Strathmore (d. 1695), it was by him greatly improved,
and re-named Castle-Lyon, whilst its estate was erected
in 1672 by royal charter into a lordship called the
lordship of Lyon. Passing by sale, in 1777, to Geo.
Paterson, Esq., a son-in-law of the twelfth Lord Gray,
it was restored by him to its original name, renovated
without, and modernised within, enlarged with wings,
battlements, round tower, and corner turrets, and alto-
gether rendered one of the most remarkable combina-
tions of old and modern masonry in the kingdom. The
present proprietor, Geo. Frederick Paterson, Esq. (b.
1S57 ; sue. 1S67), holds 2001 acres in the shire, valued
at £5321 per annum.
Castle-Island, a small island in Small Isles parish,
Inverness-shire, near the SE side of the island of Eigg.
It is inhabited only by persons tending cattle, and only
during part of the summer months.
Castle-Island. See Leven, Loch.
Castle-Kennedy, a hamlet, a lake, and a ruined
ivy-mantled mansion in Inch parish, Wigtownshire.
The hamlet lies adjacent to the Dumfries and Portpatrick
249

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence