Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (165) Page 129Page 129

(167) next ››› Page 131Page 131

(166) Page 130 -
BARNS
the Lady of Earns and one of her neighbours ; and here
contracted an affiance with that lady's daughter, which
was defeated by the young bride's death.
Barns, East and West, two villages in Dunbar parish,
Haddingtonshire, near the North British railway, 2 and
2g miles WSW of Dunbar town, under which West
Barns has a post office. Their public schools, with re-
spective accommodation for 107 and 200 children, had
(1879) an average attendance of 91 and 93, and grants
of £75, 10s. 6d. and £69, 10s.
Barnsford, a bridge on Gryfe Water, Renfrewshire,
immediately below the influx of the Black Cart, 2f
miles NW of Paisley.
Barnshean, a lake (3 x 1£ furl.) in Kirkmichael parish,
Ayrshire, 3 miles ENE of Kirkmichael village.
Barnside, a hill 865 feet high in Abbey St Bathans
parish, Berwickshire.
Barnslee, an estate, with a mansion, in Markineh
parish, Fife. The mansion stands J mile E of Markineh
village, was called originally Dalginch, afterwards Brun-
ton ; and is said to occupy the site of a castle of Mac-
duff, Thane of Fife. An absurd popular tradition alleges
that a subterranean passage goes from it, nearly 3 miles,
to Maiden Castle.
Barns of Ayr, a temporary barrack or encampment,
formed by the forces of Edward I. of England, in Ayr
parish, Ayrshire, on the SE side of the town of Ayr, on
or near the site of the present Townhead quarry, and
contiguous to the line of the Roman road from Ayr to
Galloway. It had been the scene of many a bloody
deed on the part of the English invaders ; but on a
night of May 1297, when its garrison slept after a deep
carouse, it was surprised and fired by Sir William
Wallace and 50 of his followers. Approaching it
stealthily, he placed a cordon of men around it, heaped
combustibles against its walls, and fired it so effectively
that it burst at once into a blaze. The startled sleepers,
to the number of some 500, either perished in the flames
or were impaled on the swords of their assailants.
Wallace retired while the fire was burning, and looking
back from a neighbouring hill, thereafter known as
Barnweel or Burnweel, exclaimed to his followers, ' The
Barns of Ayr burn week' Such, at least, is the story
told by tradition, firmly believed by the local population,
confidently repeated by every history of the deeds of
Wallace, and in part confirmed by the Scalacronica,
written by Sir Thomas de Grey about the middle of the
14th century. See the Marquess of Bute's Burning of
the Bams of Ayr (Paisley, 1878).
Barntalloch, a quondam ancient castle in Langholm
parish, Dumfriesshire, on a rocky precipice above the
river Esk, near Staplegorton. A burgh of barony rose
around it, and had a great annual fair which eventually
was transferred to the town of Langholm.
Barnton, a mansion in Cramond parish, Edinburgh-
shire, near the river Almond, 4| miles WNW of Edin-
burgh. It stands on or near the site of Cramond Regis,
an ancient hunting-seat of Scotland's kings ; and, till
recently the seat of the Ramsays of Barnton, it now
belongs to Sir Jas. Ramsay-Gibson Maitland, who, born
in 1848, succeeded as fourth Bart. (ere. 1818) in 1876.
A magnificent park of nearly 400 acres surrounds it.
See Clifton Hall.
Barnwell, an ancient parish in Kyle district, Ayrshire,
divided in the 17th century between Craigie and Tar-
bolton.
Barnyards, a hamlet in Kilconquhar. parish, Fife, near
Kilconquhar village.
Barochan, an estate, with an old mansion, in the
NE of Houston parish, Renfrewshire. It has belonged
since the time of Alexander III. to the family of Flem-
ing, seven of whom fell on the field of Flodden, and it
contains an ancient monument, Barochan Cross. This
is a sculptured stone cross, set on a pedestal of undressed
stone, and measuring about 11 feet in height from the
ground ; it has been a subject of much discussion
among antiquaries. Local tradition regards it as a
memorial of a defeat sustained here by the Danes ; but
Hamilton of Wishaw's Description of the Shires of Ben-
130
BARE
frew and Lanark (Maitland Club, 1S31), where it is
figured, conjectures it to commemorate the defeat here,
in 1164, of Somerled, Lord of the Isles. Many stone
coffins, containing quantities of human bones, have
been found in its neighbourhood.
Barochan-Mill, a hamlet in Houston parish, Renfrew-
shire, 1 mile NW of Barochan House, and 1| N of
Houston village.
Barone-Hill, a hill on the E side of the Isle of Bute,
which, rising 532 feet above sea-level, looks down on
Rothesay town and bay, and commands a magnificent
prospect.
Barony. See Glasgow.
Barr (Gael, 'point' or 'upper part'), a village and a
parish of Carrick, S Ayrshire. The village lies in the
NW, on the left bank of the Stinchar and the right of
the confluent Water of Gregg, 8 miles ESE of its post-
town Girvan, and 5| SE of Killochan station. At it are
three inns, a post office, the 17th century parish church
(390 sittings), and a Free church ; the ruins of ' Kirk
Doming,' a pre -Reformation chapel, stand If mile lower
down the valley.
The parish is bounded NE by Dailly and Straiton,
SE by Minnigaff in Kirkcudbrightshire, SW by Colmo-
nell, and NW by Girvan and Dailly. It has an ex-
treme length from E to W of 13| miles, an extreme
breadth from N to S of 10 miles, and an area of 55,190^
acres, of which 314J are water. Besides innumerable
burns, each with its pretty waterfall or two, three
principal streams here take their rise — the Stinohak,
flowing first some 6 miles N by W near or upon the NE
boundary, then 14 WSW through the interior, thus
parting the parish into two unequal portions (by much
the larger that to the S), and passing into Colmonell on
its way to the sea at Ballantrae ; the crystal Cree,
which, issuing from Loch Moan, for 4J miles traces the
SE frontier ; and the Water of Minnoch, running 4f
miles southward from Rowantree Hill, and entering
Minnigaff, there to fall into the Cree. Loch Moan (6J x 3
furl. ) lies just upon the SE border ; and on the SW are
the smaller Lochs Farroch, Crongart, and Goosey ; in the
interioi, Lochs Aldinna, Sgalloch, and Dinmurchie, with
half-a-dozen still more tiny tarns. The surface is less
than 300 feet above sea-level in the furthest W, but
rises rapidly eastward, to Kirkland Hill (971 feet),
Auchensoul (1028), Mull of Miljoen (1164), Milton (823),
Jedburgh (1172), Whiterow Scaurs (1370), Lennie (1181),
and the Tappins (1163) — all to the right or N of the Stin-
char. To its left are Knockodhar (767 feet), Drumneillie
(1121), Cairn Hill (1571), Balshaig (1047), Larg (1441),
Balloch (1168), Haggis (1709), Polmaddie (1802), Rowan-
tree (1811), Pinbreck (1133), Eldrick (1593), Black Hill
(1425), Shalloch (1777), and Shalloch on Minnoch
(2520). The Stinchar's source, this last is the highest
summit of both parish and shire, though dominated by
its southward prolongations, Kirriereoch (2562), which
culminates just beyond the SE border, and Merrick
(2764) in Minnigaff beyond. Lastly, in the SW, are Cairn
Hill (1571 feet), Knockinlochie (1057), Knapps (1053),
Pindonnan (1097), Standard (S67), and Garleffin (744).
The chief formation is the Lower Silurian, giving strik-
ing evidence of glacial action ; barely a fiftieth of the
whole area is cultivated, and less than as much again is
cultivable, the rest being solitary moss and moorland,
with nothing but rocks and heather, yet furnishing good
pasturage for sheep. There are many memories of
hunted Covenanters ; and Dinmurchie farm, near the
village, was the birthplace of James Dalrynrple (1619-95)
first Viscount Stair and author of Institutions of the Law
of Scotland. The Marquis of Ailsa is the great proprie-
tor, but 6 others hold each an annual value of £500 and
upwards, 8 of between £100 and £500, 3 of from £50 to
£100, and 3 of £20 to £50. Barr is in the presbytery
of Ayr and synod of Glasgow and Ayr ; its minister's
income is £390. Two public schools, at the village and
at Clashgulloch (3 miles ENE), with respective accom-
modation for 120 and 42 children, had (1879) an average
attendance of 71 and 16, and grants of £69, 8s. and
£28 2s. Valuation (1880) £15,103. Pop. (1801) 742,

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence