‹‹‹ prev (661)

(663) next ›››

(662)
PORTOBELLO
Is a town, parliamentary burgh and a fashionable Tvatering
place, on the south side of the Firth of Forth, in the parishes
of Duddingston and South Leith ; the town is 3 miles east
from Fdinburgh by road, and has two stations, one near
the centre of the town and another at Joppa, on the
Berwick and Caidisle section of the North liritish railway.
It was created a burgh in 1833, and from that date until 1896
was governed by a provost, two bailies, a treasurer and nine
councillors; but under the provisions of the "Edinburgh
Extension Act, 1896 " (59 and 60 Vict. c. 203), amalgamating
the bui'gh of Porlobello with the city and royal burgh of
Edinburgh, it now forms, both municipally and for police
purposes, part of the royal burgh, and with certain other
districts subsequently annexed forms a ward of the city
for municipal purposes, returning three members to the
Town Council. As, however, Portobello is about three miles
from the east end of Princes street and about a mile and a
half from the nearest suburban streets at Piershill, it is
â– practically a separate town, having an individuality and
history of its -own. As a town it has risen to its present
importance with singular rapidity ; towards the close of the
last century the ground which it occupies was an unpro-
ductive waste along the shore, overspread with whins and
bent, the only dwellings here consisting of a thatched hut
of two rooms, which stood until 1862, when it was pulled
down to make room for the Town Hall, and one or two
shepherds' shealings, the hut being used as a hostelry, or
half-waj' house, for travellers taking the shore road fronr
Musselburgh to Edinburgh. The town, which continues to
increase in size and importance and has a population of
over 9,000, now consists principally of one main street, the
High street, ij miles in length, which forms a part of the
highway fnun Edinburgh to London, and includes Joppa.
now practically a part of the town ; branching off right and
left are other streets with terraeas, squares &c. the houses
in most of which have gardens in front. The residential
accommodation is ample, and there are sevei'al hotels. Tlie
beach, a noble expanse of pure smooth sand, affords safe
and convenient bathirig at all times of the tide, and there is
also a suite of warm saltwater baths. The Marine Promen-
ade, laid out by the TownCouncil, is a broad thoroughfare, a
milem length, stretching along the sea beach, and in the
centre stands the Prince of Wales's Fountain, an ornamental
structure for drinking purposes. The pier, 1,250 feet long,
has seats for 2,000 persons, and a spacious saloon with
pavilion above, in which concerts are held twice daily j
during the summer months. Water of excellent quality is 1
supplied in abundance at high pressure, and the houses and
streets are lighted with gas and electricity. By an agree-
ment dated 24 Ap. 1896, the Portobello Gas Light Co. Lim-
ited transferred the whole undertaking to the Corporation of
Edinburgh as from 11 Nov. 1896. A large sum of money j
has also been expended on the drainage of the town, which
is now thorough and complete. Considerable trade is done
in the nianufacture of paper, bottles, pottery, earthenware,
bricks and tiles, and at Joppa there are salt works.
Conjointly with Leith and Musselburgh, Portobello
compri-es the Leith parliamentary district, constituted in
1833, under the " Reform Acl, 1832 " (2 and 3 Wm. IV. c.
45), and returning one member.
On the south side of the railway is a park of over 45
acres, laid out in 1899, for recreative purposes, with broad
walks and belts of trees, sufticiont space being assigned
session of Duddingston, and the Rev. John Gien continued
to be the minister until the disruption of 1S43. There are
branches here of the Royal Bank of Scotland, the National
Bank of Scotland Limited and the Clydesdale Bank Limited.
Three weekly newspapers are published here, viz. . — "The
Edinburgh Citizen and Portobello Advertiser," " The Mid-
lothian Journal " and the Musselburgh News," all on Friday.
The scenery surrounding tlie town is varied and extensive —
on one side is the noble estuary of the Forth, with the island
of Inchkeith, the hills of Fife and Kinross, the fertile lands
of East Lothian, F'awside Castle, Troplainlaw and North
Berwick Law, and in the distance the Bass Rock, and on the
other side are Arthur's Seat, Craigmillar Castle and the
Pentland Hills. The Duke of Abercorn e.g., p.c, c.e. Sir
James Percy Miller bart. d.l., j.p. of Manderston, and
the trustees of the late Wakefield Christie Miller esq.
(d. 1898) are the principal landowners.
Joppa, before mentioned as intimately connected with
and now a part of the town of Portobello, is of modem
growth. Its salt works and quarries have becu wrought
for many years, but the latter are now worked out. Coal at
ona time was found in great abundance ; but in consequence
of the Hooding of the pits, which stood near the sea, in 1790,
the works have been entirely abandoned. From its
proximity to the beach and rocks, Joppa is a favourite
report of summer visitors. There are numbers of neat
villas built near the road, nearly all of which are laid out foi-
their accommodation.
The rateable value is j^66,357; the population in 1901
was 11,203.
Post, Telegraph & Money Order Office & Savings Bank, 2i3
High street. Thomas Archibald, postmaster. Deliveries,
7 a.m. 12 noon, 2.45 & 6.4s p.m. ; dispatches, 8.45 &
10.20 a.m. & 12.15, 1.5, 4.30, 6.30, 7.30, 8.55 & 10 p.m.
(except Saturdays) ; Sunday, 4.45 & 7.43 p.m
Pillar & Wall Boxes : — Municipal buildings & Pitt street, 6.15.
& 10 a.m. 12 noon, 4.15, 3.45 & 8.40 p.m. ; Argyle cres-
cent, g.30 a.m. 11.45 a.m. 4, 5.30 & 8.30 p.m. ; Prome-
nade, 9.40 & 11.40a.m. & 3.50, 5.45 & 8.30 p.m. ; Melville
street, 9.5s, & 11.35 a.m. 3.30, 5.55. & S.35 p.m. ; High
street. West End, 10 a.m. 12 noon, 4, 5.45 k 8.30 p.m. ;
Easter Duddingston, g.40 & 11.50 a.m. 3.15, 5.40 & 8.15
p.m. ; Duddingston crescent, 9.45 & 11.45a.m. &4, 5.30
& 3- 20 p.m. ; Sundays, none
Sub-Office, 28 Joppa road. Miss Maggie Flockhart, sub-post-
mistress. Telegraph hours, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Col-
lections, letters &; parcels, 6, 9.45 & 11.45 a.m. & 4-i5>-
5.45 & S. 20 p.m
Sub-Office, Southtield place, William Grant,sub-postmaster.
Collections, 6.15 & 10 a.m. 12 noon & 4.15, 5.45, 8.30 &
9.45 p.m
Police Ottice, 118 High street, Alexander Currie, inspector
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE,
Resident in Portobello.
Andrew Balfour nr.n. Abercorn terrace
Andrew Belfrage, Durham house, Durham road
Alexander Brand, 34 Regent street
Major Hugh H. Christian, Bilton lodge, Durham road
John Knox Crawford, Abercorn lodge, Abercorn terrace-
Alexander Gray, Rathbone house, i Promenade
assi,
for golf and other games. Commodious marine baths were j William S. Smart, Burton cottage, Windsor place
erected in 1901 on the Promenade at the foot of Melville I Thomas Wood, Baileyfield house
street, at a cost of about ;/^3o,ooo, affording hot and coIil
baths both of salt and fresh water. There is a large influx
of visitors during the summer months, Portobello being very
conveuiently situated as regards railway accommodation,
not only with Edinburgh and the west of Scotland, but with
the south. It also is largely resorted to by residents from
the inland towns along the line of the North British Rail-
way, who find in Portobello all the advantages of a seaside
resort combined with the attractions of the neighbouring
capital. The quoad sacra parish of Portobello was formed
from the civil parishes of Duddingston and South Leith.
The church of the quoad sacra parish of Portobello was
erected in 1809, as a chapel of ease, subordinate to the kirk
D ivid Grieve, Sunnybank. Argyle crescent
Robert Innes, Argyle crescent
Robert Kellock, 3 Melville street
Robert Orr, 10 Lee crescent
William Gray, The Tower, Tower street
Edinburgh Parish Council, Ward No. 16, John Nesbit esq,
representative, 32 Wellington street, Portobello
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Wm. Baxendine
Chambers of Inspector of Poor & Collector of Poor & School
Rates, 2 Brighton place, Portobello ; branch office, Alex-
ander Noble, assistant inspector

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence