‹‹‹ prev (508)

(510) next ›››

ing over the porch and vestry. A large portion of the
materials of which the walls are bnilt was taken from the
ruins of the chapel in the palace of Queen Mary of Guise, on
Castle hill : it is seated for 300.
St. Andrew's, at the south back of Canongate, built in
1S57, and enlarged in 1874, is an edifice in the Norman
style. Further improvements were made, and a memorial
window to David Anderson, of Moredun, placed in the
chancel in 1884 : the church affords 550 sittings.
United Free Church of Scotland,
Formed by the amalgamation, 31 Oct. 1900, of the Free
Church of Scotland, founded in 1843, and the United
Presbyterian Church. The meetings of its General As-
sembly are held in Edinburgh annually, at the same time
with that of the Established Church. These meetings take
place in a hall erected for the purpose in 1858-9, and
enlarged about 1903, and now capable of holding 2,000
The United Free Church has also theological seminaries in
Glasgow and Aberdeen, and about 100 places of worship in
Edinburgh, some of which are St. George's, Shandwick
place, St. Mary's, at the corner of Albany street and Brough-
ton street, Barclay Church in BruntsHeld links, St. John's,
near the Victoria Hall, New North Church, near the
Greyfriars churches, Broughton place, Palmerston place
and North Morningside.
The Chalmers' Memorial Church, Grange road, was erected
in memory of the celebrated Rev. Thomas Chalmers ll.d.
who in 18 15 was minister of the Tron church and afterwards
of St. John's, Victoria street, which the Town Council built
for him. In 1843 he was a chief organizer of the Free
Church body, became the first moderator of their assembly,
and when lie died, 31 May, 1847, was principal of the Free
Church College.
The Guthrie Memorial Church, Easter road,was established
to commemorate the work of the Rev. Thomas Guthrie d.d.
originally pastor of the Old Greyfriars' Church, but subse-
quently a leader of the Free Church movement, and in 1840
minister of St. John's, from which he retired 1864 ; he was
likewise the promoter of the Ragged School system, and
died February 24th, 1873 • * stone font supported on
clustered columns was presented in October, i8gc.
Nicolson Street Church, on the west side of the street of
that name, is an edifice in the Gothic style. Dr. John Jamie-
son, the compilerof the " Scottish Etymological Dictionary,"
was for many years the minister of this church, and died 12
July, 1838.
Broughton Place Church is a massive building, with a
portico and Doric columns, and will seat 1,600 persons.
Rose Street Church is a capacious building, at the east end
of that street.
Newington Church is in Causeway side.
Roman Catholic.
The province of St. Andrews and Edinburgh consists of
the archiepiscopal see of St. Andrew and Edinburgh and
the four suffragan sees of Aberdeen, Argyll and the Isles,
Dunkeld and Galloway. The archdiocese of St. Andrews and
Edinburgh comprises the counties of Edinburgh, Berwick,
southern parts of Fife (bounded by the Eden), Haddington,
Linlithgow, Peebles, Roxburghshire, Selkirk and Stirling
(except Baldernock).
St. Mary's Cathedral, which occupies a site near York place,
in Broughton street, is a handsome stone edifice in the
Gothic style, built by subscription in 1813, and costing
^8,000. It has a very fine organ ; and above the altar
is an excellent painting attributed to Vandyke and re-
presenting the " Descent from the Cross." The building
consists of a chancel of three bays, with apse and north and
south aisles, side chapel, baptistery, and porch : the archiepis-
copal throne and canons' stalls are of carved oak. The dedi-
cation took place on the 30th November, 1895.
St. Patrick's Church is in Cowgate : and a larger one,
called the Church of the Sacred Heart, a fine building,
lighled by cupolas, is situated in Lauriston street.
Baptists, Congeeqationalists, &c.
There are five Baptist and seven Congregationalist
churches, but the only one possessing any external beauty is
Augustine Chapel, on George IV. bridge.
The Catholic Apostolic Church, Mansfield place, was
opsned in 1876 at a cost of about i^35,ooo, and is an edifice
in the Late Norman style, comprising nave, chancel,
western tower, and a baptistery. The places of worship
of minor Protestant denominations do not require special
For full list of places of worship with their clergy see p. 401.
The Edinburgh cemeteries are five in number. On the
south is the cemetery of the Grange, on the west that of
Dairy, on the north-west that of Dean, on the north that of
Warriston, and on the north-east that of Rosebank. In
the Dean cemetery is a ranic cross marking the grave of
Professor Blackie, d. 1895.
The Roman Catholics established a cemetery at Liberton,
May, 1896.
In Greyfriars' churchyard were interred, among many
other eminent persons, George Buchanan, Sir George Mac-
kenzie, Alexander Henderson (the leader of the Scottish
Presbyterians in 1638 and following years), Colin Maclaurin,
Allan Ramsay, Adam, the architect, Robertson, the his-
torian, and Blair, whose sermons were once so popular. In
this churchyard many Covenanters, chiefly from the west of
Scotland, were kept prisoners for some time in 1679, with no
lodging but the bare ground and no shelter from the
weather. Some were set free, others were banished as
slaves to the plantations.
Fur the University of Edinburgh see page xviii.
The Royal High School of Edinburgh is on Calton hill,
and the date of its foundation is unknown, but it appears to
have existed as early as the beginning of the twelfth csntury.
From that time to the Reformation, "the Grammar School
of Edinburgh," as it was then called, was under the control
of the canons of Holyrood. In 1598 it was remodelled on a
more comprehensive plan, and from the patronage vouch-
safed to it by James VI., it received the name of Solwia Reyia
Edinhirc/ensis. Although at first a classical seminary, it
now furnishes systematic instruction in all the departments
of a commercial as well as a liberal education. There is a
library containing nearly 7,000 volumes to which all the
pupils have access, and also a special lending library of books
suitable for boys, and the school is equipped with chemical
and physical laboratories and workshops. The school
buildings were originally in the Old Town, and were rebuilt
on nearly the same spot in 1777 : the present structure was
erected in 1825-9, on the south slope of the Calton hill, at a
cost of ^30,000, from designs by the late Thomas Hamilton,
architect. The main building, 270 feet in length, has a
magnificent hexastyle Doric portico in the centre, which
is united to the w'ings by two corridors, the entablatures
of which are supported by twelve columns, also of the Doric
order. The interior comprises a suite of rooms for the
preparatory school, chemical laboratory and lecture room,
gymnasiurii, swimming bath, drawing school and rector's
and other class rooms. Workshops for wood and iron have
also been added, as well as a dining room. The playground
extends over nearly two acres, and commands a picturesque
view of the ancient city and surrounding country, and there
is also a covered playground.
The Edinburgh Academy, Henderson row, estabUshed in
1824, and incorporated by royal charter from George IV.
is a handsome building, after a design by Mr. Burn, and
cost ^16,000. The academy is under the superintendence
of a board of fifteen directors, three of whom are elected •
annually from the body of shareholders ; it consists of two
departncients, a preparatory and upper school. The former,
opened for the first time in October, 1888, takes boys from
five or six to nine or ten ; and the latter continue their
education tilli eighteen or nineteen. The course prepares
boys for the universities in England and Scotland, for
business life, for Sandhurst, Woolwich, for the Indian
Civil Service and the public services generally, and for
the First Scottish Actuarial Examination. The school
has" a large gymnasium and scientific laboratory, a
library and two fives courts. Besides a playground of
three acres, in the centre of which it stands, it has two
cricket grounds, each of nine acres, its own property,
within a short distance of the school, for the exclusive use
of present and former pupils.
The United Free Church College, a theological seminary,
founded in 1843, stands at the head of the Mound, and is
in a weak stjle of Gothic, from designs by Mr. Playfair. The
buildings form a quadrangle, 84 by 56 feet, with two towers
121 feet in height. Hanking the principal entrance, and a
similar tower at the north-east corner 95 feet in height.
In 1896, a statue of John Knox, the reformer (1505-72),
was placed in the quadrangle of the college. The library

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence