‹‹‹ prev (1455)

(1457) next ›››

(1456)
1392 STIRLING.
STIRLINGSHIEE.
[slater's
Stirling Castle, which stands at the end of a steep ridge of
rock, is one of the fortresses appointed by the " Act of Union "
to be kept in a state of repair; it is- entered from the town
across an esplanade and over a drawbridge, by which the inner
courtyard is reached, around which are the royal buildings, con-
sisting of the palace built by James V. a building of stone orna-
mented with grotesque carving; the Parliament House, erected
by James III. and the chapel, built by James YI. ; in the palace
is the Douglas room, inj which James II. who was born in this
building, stabbed the 8th Earl of Douglas; the other royal per-
sonages connected with this fortress were Alexander I. of Scot-
land, who died here 1124, James VI. who was crowned here at
the age of 13 months, and Charles II. crowned at Scone 1651,
who occupied Stirling on his way to Worcester. The Regent
Lennox was killed during an attack made on the town by Mary's
adherents in 1571. James VI. 's eldest son, Prince Henry, was
baptized in the castle chapel. There is a walk round the castle
rock entered from the town. Between the castle and the church
are "The Valley," where tournaments took place, and the gar-
dens, in which is a curious mound known as tha King's Knot;
here also is the King's Park of about 100 acres and the New
Cemetery. Stirling Castle is the depot of the 91st Regimental
District, comprised of four battalions of the Princess Louise's
(Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders), 1st Battalion (91st Foot"),
2nd (93rd Foot), 3rd (Highland Borderers Militia), which has
head quarters at the Castle, and 4th Battalion (Eoyal Benfrew
Militia), head quarters. Paisley.
The 4th (Stirlingshire) Volunteer Battalion of the above named
regiment has head quarters in Princes street.
Argyll's Lodging, east side of the Castle wynd, is a fine house,
erected in 1632 by the Earl of Stirling, but now used as a military
"hospital; in it King Charles II. lodged in 1651. Mar's Work,
in Broad street, erected by John, Earl of Mar, in 1570, includes
the lower portion of a gatehouse, flanked by octagonal towers,
and some adjacent walls, all which are adorned with panelling,
heraldic devices and inscriptions ; much of the work is eccle-
siastical in its character, and is said to have been taken from
Cambuskenneth Abbey.
The town, in 1147, was given to the English to secure the
terms of the treaty of Falaise and restored to the Scotch by
Richard I. in 1186, but in 1297 the English, in an attempt to
regain it, were defeated by Wallace at Stirling Bridge and their
army, under the Earl of Surrey, was cut to pieces; in 1304,
Edward I. after a severe siege took the castle and town. In
1314 Robert Bruce besieged it, and a relieving army under Edward
n. having been destroyed at Bannockburn, the fortress sur-
rendered, but Edward III. having" extorted from Baliol in 1333
a surrender of all the principal fortresses of Scotland, in 1339
Che Scotch again took it, and then for two centuries it remained
in their possession undisturbed, until Queen Mary's adherents
â– made an attempt on it in 1571, and the Earl of Ruthven and his
brother took it in 1583. The Covenanters held it in 1639, and the
Duke of Argyll occupied it in 1715 fop the Hanoverian Govern-
ment. In 1745 Prince Charles Edward unsuccessfully attempted
it3 capture, and this ended its vicissitudes and it is now a
â– military depot.
On the esplanade of the ca3tle 6tands a statue of King Robert
Bruce, nearly 11 feet in height, overlooking the battle fields of
Stirling and Bannockburn ; the figure, modelled by Mr. Andrew
Currie, was unveiled by Lady Alexander on the 24th November,
1877. The Wallace monument, erected to commemorate " the
victory of Stirling Bridge, is at Abbey Craig, Causewayhead.
The area of the civil parish is 1,825 acres; assessable value,
£101,983; area of burgh, 1,377 acres. The population in 1891
(after alterations under the provisions of the " Local Govern-
ment (Scotland) Act, 1899 ") was 14,170, and in 1901 was 18,609,
including 7 officers and 84 inmates of the poor house and 179
military and 119 non-military servants &c. in the Castle.
The population of the royal burgh in 1901 was 14,355.
The population of the municipal wards in 1901 was : First or
King Street, 3,213; Second or Port Street, 3,913; Third or
Baker Street, 3,822; Fourth or Cowane Street, 5,115; Fifth or
â– St. Ninian's, 2,340.
The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 10,649.
The population of the whole parliamentary burgh in 1901
was: Stirling, 18,403; Culross, 335; Dunfermline, 22,039; Inver-
keithing, 1,909, and Queensferry, 1,850; total, 44,536.
The number of electors on the Stirling parliamentary register
in 1902-3 was 2,967, and on the district burghs, 6,837.
Mary Kirk is a quoad sacra parish taken from that of Stirling;
(population in 1901, 5,013.
Cambuskenneth Abbey, see Logie, page 1386.
POST, M. O., T., T. M. O.. E. D., P. P., S. B. & A. &
I. O. Maxwell place; Roderick Reid, postmaster
(Inward Mails & Town Deliveries (Letters & Parcels). — From all
parts (including London & the South), town deliveries com-
mence, 7 a.m. ; (sunday, to callers, 9 to 10 a.m.); London,
Edinburgh, Glasgow Falkirk, Perth & the North, Alica,
Dunfermline, Bridge of Allan, Dollar, &c. 11 a.m. ;
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth & the North, Dunblane, Crieff,
Bridge of Allan, Alloa & Dunfermline, 2.30 p.m. ; London,
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth & the North, Alloa, Dunfermline &o.
West Highlands, Callander & Doune, 6 p.m'
Outward Mails.— 4.45, 7.15, 7.40, 8.10, 10.15 & 11.45 a.m. & 12.10,
12.30, 1.15, 2.10, 2.40, 2.45, 4.20, 4.50, 5, 5.20, 6, 6.30, 8,
8.10, 8.15, 10 & 11.45 p.m. ; Sundays to Alloa, Perth & the
"North, 7 a.m.; Callander & Doune, 8.15 a.m.; London, Edin-
-burgh, Glasgow &c. 4.20 p.m. ; Dollar, Tillicoultry, Port of
Monteith &c. 5.30 & 11.45 p.m
Baker Street town sub-office, open from o a.m. to 8 p.m. ; pillar
collections at 10 & 11.30 a.m. & 1.30 & 9 p.m
Cowane Street town sub-office, open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ; pillar
collections at 11 a.m. & 1.30, 4.15 & 9 p.m
Dumbarton Road town sub-office, open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ;
pillar collections at 11.50 a.m. & 1.45, 4 & 7.15 p.m
B;»ker Street & Dumbarton Road are also M. O. 0., S. B. &
A. & I.
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR THE STIRLING DISTRICT
OF BURGHS.
Right Hon. Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman G.C.B., D.L., J.P.
Belmont castle, Meigle, Perthshire; 6 Grosvenor place S'W &
Reform, Brooks's & Oxford & Cambridge clubs, London SW
COUNCIL OF THE BURGH OF STIRLING.
Municipal buildings, King street.
Provost & High Sheriff, James Thomson
Bailies & Sheriffs, John Steel, Henry P. Watt, Hugh Ferguson,
Daniel Wylie
Dean of Guild, Parlane Macfarlane
Officials.
Treasurer, Andrew Buchanan
Town Clerk, David B. Morris
Town Clerk Depute, D. G. White
Chamberlain, James Brown
Burgh Assessor, Thomas Currie, 16 King street
Medical Office 1 - of Health, Andrew Fairlie Wilson L.F.P.S.
Glas. 1 Viewfield place
Master of Works & Burgh Surveyor, Andrew Hill Goudie
Electrical Engineer, A. C. Hanson, Colquhoun street
Sanitary Inspector, John Fyfe, 15 Spittal street
Fire Master, John Duff, 28 Upper Bridge street
Inspector of Weights & Measures, Peter McNab, 38 Upper Craigs
Burgh & Water Rate Collector, Ebenezer Gentleman, 2 Dum-
barton road
County & Burgh Analyst, Andrew Fairlie Wilson L.F.P.S. 10
Viewfield street
Chief Constable, Billet Master & Procurator Fiscal, Thomas Fer-
guson, Broad street
Town Officer, William S. Williamson, 23 Baker street
JUSTICE OF POLICE COURT,
Held first mondayi of every month.
Office, 26 Port street.
Clerk, Andrew Chrystal Buchanan
Depute Clerk, George Begbie
Procurator Fiscal, John D. Sempill
Commissioners of the Forth Navigation, Municipal buildings,
King street, David B. Morris, clerk
GAS WORKS,
Thistle street.
Chairman, James Johnston
Secretary, Ebenezer Gentleman
Manager, James D. Smith
Water Works Office, David B. Morris, clerk, Town house;
Ebenezer Gentleman, collector, 2 Dumbarton road; Andrew H.
Goudie, superintendent
FACULTY OF SOLICITOBS & PROCURATORS,
County buildings, Barnton street.
Dean, Andrew C. Buchanan
Sub-Dean, Robert Whyte
Secretary & Treasurer, Charles Wingate
Curator of Library, James Brown
Fiscal, David William Logie
Officer, William M'Pherson, County buildings
PARISH COUNCIL OFFICE,
Broad etreet.
Chairman, Hugh Gavin J.P
Clerk, Inspector & Collector, John Paterson
Medical Officers, Alexander Chalmers M.B., CM. St. Ninian's &
James Hay Murray M.D.Edin
REGISTRAR OF BIRTHS, DEATHS & MARRIAGES
For the Burgh of Stirling.
Offices, 2 Dumbarton road.
Registrar, Ebenezer Gentleman
COMBINATION POOR HOUSE.
For the parishes of Stirling, St. Ninians, Kilsyth, Alloa, Alva,
Clackmannan, Dollar, Tillicoultry, Tulliallan, Denny & Dunblane.
Union street.
Governor, Donald MacMillan
Matron, Mrs. S. B. MacMillan
Secretary & Treasurer, Henry Robb
Medical Officer, James Ernest Moorhouse M.A., M.D., CM
COMBINATION HOSPITAL,
Drip road.
Clerk & Treasurer, D. G. White
COUNTY OFFICIALS.
County Assessor's Office, Commercial Bank buildings, Murray
place, John Barr, assessor
County Police Office, County buildings, Barnton street, John
D. Sempill, chief constable
County Rate Office, Friars st. James Wm. Campbell, collector
Registration of Voters Office (County), Commercial Bank build-
ings, Murray place, John Barr, registrar
Sheriff Clerk's Office, County buildings, Barnton street, John G.
Curror, sheriff clerk & auditor of court; Donald Cowan, sheriff
clerk depute
MILITARY.
91st Regimental District. Depot & Head Quarters, The Castle.
Territorial Regiment, Princess Louise's (Argyll & Sutherland
Highlanders), 1st Battalion 91st Foot, 2nd Battalion 93rd Foot,
3rd Battalion Highland Borderers Militia & 4th Battalion
Royal Renfrew Militia
Commanding Regimental District, Col. J. M. Hunt
Sergeant-Major, J. Lindsay
3rd Battalion (Highland Borderers Militia) ; head quarters, Castle
hill. Lieut. -Col. Commanding, A. H. Middleton ; Major, J. W.
Scott-Plummer; Instructor of Musketry, Hon. Major M. E.
Rouse ; Adjutant, Capt. H. P. Moulton-Barrett ; Quartermaster,
Hon. Lieut, A. Beattie; Sergeant-Major, William Hardie

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence