‹‹‹ prev (1102)

(1104) next ›››

DIRECTORY.]
Marshall Alexander.greengrocer &fruiterer,
china & glass dealer, tobacconist & fancy
goods dealer, 35 West Main street
Marshall John, grocer & general dealer,
109 West Main street
Marshall William, baker, 48 West Main st
Matheson Ales, boot dealer, 3 West Main st
Marr John B. gasfitter & plumber, 48
West Main street
Maxwell Owen, confectioner & jobmaBter
Mnir Kobert & Co. Limited, composition
& fire-brick manufacturers, Armadale,
Barbauchlaw ; Boghead brick 'works &
South Broadrigg works, Armadale sta-
tion; Telegrams, "Bricks, Armadale"
Murray David, fishmonger, 26 East Main sfc
Ninimo John, draper, see Stewart & Co
Pow Thomas, confectioner & china & glass
dealer, 2 South street
LINLITHGOWSHIRE.
Pool John, accountant, West Main street
Reid John, saddler, 20 West Main Btreet
Robertson, Love & Co. Limited, brick &
sanitary pipe manufacturers, Bathville
brick works, Armadale station ; T A
"Robertson, Love, Armadale"
Russell Brothers, wholesale greengrocers &
fruiterers, 41 West Main street
Russell Jane (Mies), draper, East Main et
Shearer John, blacksmith. West Main street
Simpson John, collector & treasurer, Muni-
cipal offices, West Main street
Simpson Jn.joiner & cartwrght.Ea. Main et
Smith James, spirit dealer, 80 South street
Stewart & Co. clothiers, drapers & milli-
ners (Alexander McKenzie, manager), 8
East Main street
Stirling Jacob & Co. grocers & spirit dlrs.
1 East Main street
BATHGATE, 1039'
BATHGATE is a market town, police burgh
and parish, on the middle road betwixt
Edinburgh and Glasgow, with stations on the
Bathgate branch of the Edinburgh and
Glasgow and Monklands sections of the
North British railway, in Linlithgow poor
combination, 18 miles west from Edinburgh,
24 east from Glasgow, 14 east from Airdrie
and 7 south from Linlithgow. The Oouston
water, a tributary of the river Clyde, flows
through the centre of the parish, which is
bounded on the west by the Barbaulchlaw
brook. The town occupies a pleasant site
near the southern base of a great ridge of
hills extending across the county, and shel-
tering the town on the north and east, and at
the same time it has a fine southern aspect,
possessing several good streets, Hopetoun,
Engine, Mid and Jarvey streets being the
principal thoroughfares ; it is lighted with
gas from works the property of a local
company, and abundantly supplied with
water of excellent quality from works
erected at a cost of £6,000, and in 1903
an additional supply was obtained at a
further cost of £13,600. Bathgate was
made a burgh of barony by Charles II. In
1661, and created a free and independent
burgh of barony by Act of Parliament in
1824 ; subsequently the burgh adopted
Provost Lindsay's Police Act of 18G2, and is
now governed by a provost, two bailies and
twelve commie Bioners. A small debt
court is held in the burgh once a quarter.
The old parish church, erected about 1737,
was taken down in 1882. The present
church, erected on the same site at a cost
of upwards of £8,000, and opened in 1884,
is a handsome edifice of stone, chiefly in
the Norman style, and has a 6quare tower
at the south-west angle, rising to a height of
108 feet and ornamented with cricketed
pinnacles. The tower contains a bell and
an illuminated clock, presented by the late
John Waddell esq. of Inch, *the esti-
mated cost of which was over £250;
a gallery is carried round three sideB
of _ the church, and the east gable is
relieved by a semi-circular apse with five
memorial stained â– windows. The church
affords about 1,100 sittings, and adjoining
are vestries and a hall. The Evangelical
Union church, in Marjoribahks street, re-
built on the old site in 1895 at a cost of
upwards of £2,200, is an edifice in the
Early English style from designs bv Mr.
J. Graham Fadrley, architect, of Edin-
burgh. The United Free church,
erected in 1894-5, and opened in October,
1895, at an estimated cost of £3,700,
is an edifice in a plain Gothic style,
and has a tower of three stages with
octagonal broach spire, and containing one
bell, weighing nearly a ton ; various grits
have been made to the church, including a
communion service and font basin of solid.
silver. The Bathgate Academy, which
stands on a commanding and healthy site
in the immediate vicinity of the town, was
endowed by a bequest of the late John New-
land, of Kingston, Jamaica, a native of this
town, with a sum of between £16,000 and
£17,000; the building is an elegant and
extensive structure, comprising seven large
class-rooms, library, trustees' room and a
janitor's house. It is now under Govern-
ment inspection, and is managed by a body
of trustees, one of whom represents the lord
of .the manor and another is appointed by the
Commissioners. The neighbouring hills
abound with limestone quarries yielding fine
specimens of fossil remains. Paraffin oil
and candles are manufactured here from
the Torbanehill shale, which is largely found
in the county, and- Young's Paraffin Light
& Mineral Oil Co. Limited has extensive
works in the vicinity. At Westfield, about
two and a half miles distant, is an extensive
BATHGATE.
mill of the Westfield Paper Co. Limited
The weaving of gooda for the Glasgow manu-
facturers, at one time very active, Is now
carried on only to a very limited extent.
In the town is an iron foundry, two spade
and shovel works and a large distillery, and
in the district are many large collieries, and
coal and ironstone &c. are much worked
in the immediate neighbourhood. On the
north border of the parish are ancient silver
mines worked In the early part of the 17th
century, and a few years ago re-opened,
The market day is Tuesday, when a large
supply of grain of all kinds i6 brought from
the surrounding country to the Corn Ex-
change, in Jarvey street. A cattle auction is
also held at the mart in Whitburn road
on market day. The authorities of the
burgh are entitled by Act of Parliament
to hold seven annual fairs — namely, on the
third Wednesdays in April, July and August,
on the first Wednesdays after Whit-Sunday
and Martinmas (o. s.), and the fourth Wed
nesdays in June and October ; the principal
fairs are those held at WhitBuntide and
Martinmas, which are well attended by
cattle dealers. There are branches here of
the National Bank of Sootland Limited, the
Royal Bank of Scotland Limited and the 1
Union Bank of Scotland Limited. The
" West Lothian Courier " is published here
every Saturday. The following eminent men
were born in the parish — Dr. John Fleming,
professor of natural science, Aberdeen ;
Dr. John Reid, professor of anatomy, St.
Andrews, and Sir James Toung Simpson
bart. M.D. the discoverer, in 1847, of the
anassthetical properties of chloroform ; he
was born here 7th June, 1811, and died at
Edinburgh 6th May, 1870. Boghead ie the
residence of J. A. Robertson Durham esq.
J.P. The principal landowners are the
Marquess of Linlithgow K.T. , P. C. ,
G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O. ; J. A. Robertson
Durham esq. J.P. of Boghead and
Poulshields; the trustees of the late
Sir William Baillie bart. of Polkemmet
(d. 1890); Maj. James Henry Cowan; Geo.
Readman esq. and Alexander Russell esq.
of Moss Side. The land is fairly productive,
while the surface is largely undulating. The
parish of Bathgate has an area of 10,875
acres, of the burgh 401 acres ; rateable
value of the landward part of the parish
(excluding the burgh of Armadale),
£30,751; the burgh of Bathgate, £15,688;
in 1891 the civil parish contained a popula-
tion of 11,359, and in 1901 was, parish
police burgh, 6,786 ; beyond police burgh,
763; landward, 2,534; total, 14,004; the
population of the ecclesiastical parish in
1901 was 9,371.
Bridgend is a email village adjoining the
burgh of Bathgate. The population in
1901 was 523.
Woodend, a small colliery village, 3£
miles distant, in Torphichen civil parish.
The population in 1901 was 341.
Durhamtown is also a mining village in
this parish. The population in 1901 was
403.
Post, T., M. O., T. M. O., E. D. & P. P.,
S. B., A. & I. O. & Tejephone Call
Office, Hopetoun street; Jas. Macdonald,
postmaster. Deliveries, 8.15 a.m. & 1.15
& 5.15 p.m.; dispatches, 8.6, 10.20 &
11.10 a.m. & 12.30, 2.10, 3.&5, 4.25, 5.30,
7.15 & 8.20 p.m
BURGH OP BATHGATE.
Chief Magistrate, David Rankine Gordon
Bailies, Robert A. Robertson & Jas. Grieve
Dean of Guild, William Roberts
Commissioners, Twelve
Clerk, William Allan
Procurator Fiscal, James Gardner
Treasurer, Alexander Sloan
Syson William, draper & milliner, 57 West
Main street
Thomson James, registrar of births, deaths
& marriages & insurance agent, West
Main street
United Collieries Lim. coal masters &
brick makers, Armadale, Bathville, Hope-
toun Trees, Polkemmet & North Bigg
oollieries
Waddell Robert,pawnbroker,89West Main sfc
Wilson Adam, Crown hotel & horse & car-
riage owner, 1 West Main street
Wilson Agnes (Mrs.), grocer & spirit dealer,
10 East Main street
Wilson James, tailor, Eaet Main street
Wylie James, butcher, 60 South street
Toung David, grocer & general dealer &
provision merchant, 5 West Main street
Collector, William Caeear
Sanitary Inspector, Donald McGregor
County & Burgh Police Buildings, 25 Mid
Btreet, Robert Chalmers, inspector
Fire Station, Hopetoun street, Robert D.
Sutherland, fire master
PARISH COUNCIL.
Office, Mid street.
Clerk &. Inspector of Poor, Alex. M. Smith
Registrar, James Gardner
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS &c.
Cemetery, Whitburn rd. John Keith, supt
Corn Exchange Hall, Jarvey street, Wm.
Russell, proprietor
Co-operative Hall, Jarvey street
Corn Exchange, Jarvey st. Wm. Allan, sec
Inland Revenue Office, Glenmavie Distillery,
Joseph Metcalfe & John Anderson,
division officers
Masonic Lodge (Torphichen, Kilwinning,
No. 13), Alex. Davidson, sec. Jarvey st
VOLUNTEERS.
8th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots
(Lothian Regiment) (D Company), Gideon
street; Alexander P. Simpson, captain;
Surgeon-Major >R. Kirk M.D. medical
officer; Rev. John Lindsay M.A. acting
chaplain John Henderson Brown, sergt.-
instructor
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Established Church, Jarvey street, Rev.
William L. Webster
United Free Churches, Engine street, Rev.
David Kater M.A. & Mid street, Rev. Jn.
Lindsay M.A
Evangelical Union Chapel, Marjoribanks. st.
Rev. Christopher Nicholson M.A
Roman Catholic, Livery street, Rev. Peter
McDanlel, priest
SCHOOL BOARDS
(Burgh & Combined).
Chairman, Robert A. Robertson
Clerk, James Gardner
Board School b : —
Burgh, John H. Wheelan, master; Mies
Jessie Daliing, Infants' mistress
Deans, Miss Mary Wardrop, mistress
Woodend, William Deans, master
Academy, Marjori banks- street, Andrew
Dunn M.A. rector; David Flatt, assistant
master; Miss Jane Watson, mistress
Roman Catholic School, Livery 6treet, Miss
Annie Macdonald, ^mistress
RAILWAY*' STATIC- N S.
On the North British Line.
Upper Bathgate, David Chapman, station
master & goods agent; Mutter, Howey &
Co. carting agents
And on the Monk] and section (Lower Bath-
gate), George R. Goode, station master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Adam Jn. View Bank cot. Majoribarfks st
Addison John, Balbardie house
Aitken Mrs. Mid street
Allan William, Azledale
Anderson David M. Gay field terrace
Anthony John, Hall cottage
Arbuckle Robert T. 27 Jarvey street
Anthony Mrs. Rosebank
Caesar William, Annisfield
Daliing Thomas, Little Boghead
Dodds Mrs. Bloomfield house
Dougal Alexander, Almora
Dougal Lawrence J.P. Norwood
Dougal Lawrence, jun. Hillcroft
Dougal Robert, Wellside
Durham John A. Robertson J.P. Boghead
Freeland John, Brier cot. Majoribanks st

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence