‹‹‹ prev (966)

(968) next ›››

(967)
DIRECTORY.]
Sine of the Highland Railway from In-
verness to Perth (via Aviemore Junction),
rand is 10 miles south-east from Invernese
â– by road. Hoy Hall, a mile north-west of
'the village, is the seat of the Mackintosh
^f Mackintosh; Kyllachy House, of Lord
Kyllachy: Gien-Kyllacliie, of William
33alziel Mackenzie esq. M.A. and Tomatin
House, of Lachlan Macbean, .and these,
with Mrs. Mackintosh, of Balnespie and
Clune, are also the principal landowners.
"Corybrough House, Tomatin, is the resi-
dence of Herbert C. Malkin esq. The area
comprises 105,939 acrea ; rateable value,
£11,005; the population in 1891 was 730,
.and in 1901, 761.
CPost & T. O. Moy; James Falconer, post-
master. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters
should have R.S.O. Inverness-shire
added). Postal Orders are issued & paid
here. Tomatin is the nearest money
order office. Delivery, 11.55 a.m. ; dis-
patch, north 9.25 a.m. & south, 11.51
a.m
(Post, M. O. & T. 0. Tomatin; John Mac-
dougall, postmaster. (Railway Sub-
Office. Letters should have R.S.O. In-
verness-shire added). Delivery, 9.30
a.m. & 12.40 p.m. ; dispatch, 9 & 11.30
a.m
PARISH COUNCIL.
•Clerk, John Watson, Pinewood cottage,
Tomatin
â– 'Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
John Macdougall, Tomatin
'Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates,
John Watson, Pinewood cot. Tomatin
Established Churches, Moy & Dalarossie,
Rev. Angus J. Morrison"
T -3Yee Church, Findhorn Bridge, Rev.Duncan
Maclean
â– School Board, John Mackintosh, Inverness
clerk
: 3oard Schools: —
Dalarossie, Samuel Archibald, master
Raigbeg, Donald Cameron, master
School, Moy, John Hunter, master
Station, Moy & Dalarossie, James Fal-
coner, station master
Station, Tomatin, 4J miles from Moy, John
Junor, station master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Dugdale J. Lionel, Clune, Tomatin
•■Gunter Major-General James, Glenmazeran
Kyllachy Lord M.A., LL.D., J.P., D.L.
Kyllachy house
"Macbean Lachlan, Tomatin ho. Tomatin
Macdonald John, Hazel bank, Tomatin â– 
"Mackenzie William Dalziel M.A., D.L., J.P.
Glen-Kyi lachie
'Mackintosh Alfred Donald J.P., D.L. of
Mackintosh (The Mackintosh), Moy hall
Maclean Rev. Duncan, Free Church manse,
Tomatin
'Malkin Herbert C. Corrybrough ho. Tomatin
Morrison Rev. Angus j". (Established)
Noble Alexander, Tomatin
.Simpson Rev. Duncan M
"â– Watson James, Tomatin
Watson John, Pinewood
COMMERCIAL,
©avidson Samuel, blacksmith, Bridgend
Falconer James, station master
Eraser James, carpenter, Findhorn bridge
.Junor John, station master, Tomatin
Macdonald Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Find-
horn bridge, Tomatin
'Macdougall John, grocer & wine & spirit
dealer & registrar of births, deaths &
marriages, Tomatin
Macgregor James D. blacksmith, Tomatin
'MacLeod George, Freeburn inn
'Robertson William, carpenter
'Rose William, miller, Culfintack
Smith William, inland revenue officer
Tomatin & Spey District Distillery Lim.
Tomatin
''Watson John, clerk to parish council, in-
spector of poor & collector of rates,
.Pinewood cottage, Tomatin.
INVERNESS-SHIRE.
FARMERS.
Davidson Duncan, Aultnaslanach
Davidson William, Drumbane
Dunbar John, Ednachait
Macbean Andrew, Balvraid
MacDean Donald, lnvereen
Macdougall John, Tomatinard
Macgillivray Donald, Clune
Macgillivray Mrs. Mary, Morilemore
Macgillivray William, Garbole
Mackintosh James, Woodend
Mackintosh John C. Midmorile
Macqueen William, Strathnoon
Malkin Charles H. Corrybrough
Noble Alexander, Dell of Morile
Noble Daniel, Balliemore
Noble Donald, Balliemore
Noble Evan, Free
Noble John, Dalmagarry
Noble John, Inverborough
Noble William, Press
Boss William, Corrievorrie
Tulloch Alexander, Corrievorrie
Watson David, Knockandhu
Watson Donald, Dalmigavie mains
MUCK ISLAND, see Small Isles.
NETHY BBIDGE, see Abernethy.
NEWTONMORE, see Kingussie.
NOETH HIST ISLAND, see OUTER
(or Western) Hebrides.
ONICH, see Kilmalie.
PETTY is a parish on the south-eastern
shore of the inner Dart of Moray Firth, on
the road from Inverness to Fort G-eorge,
about 5 miles in length by 1 to 2J in breadth
and contains the Stuartown portion of the
village of Ardersier; it is in Nairn poor
combination and in the small debt court
district of Inverness. The Perth, Aber-
feldy and Forres section of the Highland
railway traverses the parish and has
stations at Gollanfield Junction and Dal-
cross. From Gollanfield Junction is a
branch to Fort George, Dalcross being the
nearest station for the village of Petty,
which is 5 miles north-east from Inverness,
10 south-west from Nairn, and 1^ from Dal-
cross railway station. A part of the parish
was formerly in Nairnshire, bub under the
" Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1880,"
boundary order 48, it was transferred to
this county. The principal landowners are
the Earl of Moray; Sir William Orr-Ewing
bart. of Ardencaple Castle, and the trus-
tees of the late Duncan Forbes esq. The
area comprises 9,776 acres; rateable value,
£7,458 ; the population in 1891 was 1,298,
and in 1901, 1,291.
Post Office, Petty; Mrs. Catherine Ross,
postmistress. Letters received from In-
verness. Delivery. 2.15 p.m. ; dispatch,
7 a.m. Postal Orders are issued & paid
here. Gollanfield is the nearest money
order office, about 3 miles distant &
Dalcross Railway station is the nearest
telegraph office, 2 miles distant
Post, T. & M. 0. 0. & S. B. Gollanfield;
John Maclennan, postmaster. Deliveries
8 & 11 a.m. & 2 & 7.15 p.m.; dispatches,
8.45 & 10.10 a.m. & 2.30, 7.30 & 8.55
pan
PARISH COUNCIL.
Clerk, John Marr, Woodend, Petty '
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
William M'Culloch. School ho. Petty West
Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates,
John Marr, Woodend, Petty
Established Church, Rev. Donald Macgil-
livray
United Free Church, Rev. Donald Campbell
SCHOOL BOARD.
Clerk, John S. Fraser, Inverness
Board Schools: —
Petty (East), William Hadden, master
Petty (West), William M'Culloch, master
ISLE OF SKYE.
903
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
On the Highland line.
Station, Dalcross, Peter Mackay, stn. mastr
Station, Gollanfield, John Fraser, station
master
Petty.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Arnot Capt. George Hy. Flemington house
Campbell Rev. Donald, United Free Church
manse
Cattell James, Balsparden
Fraser Thomas J. Gollanfield house
Macgillivary Rev. Donald, The Manse
Rose Captain James J.P. Mains of Connage
Russell Major Donald J.P. Treeton
COMMERCIAL.
Bruce George, carpenter, Tornagrain
Bruce John, shopkeeper
McCulloch William, registrar of births,
deaths & marriages & schoolmaster,
Petty West
Mackay Colin, blacksmith, Tornagrain
Maclennan Alexander, tailor, Tornagrain
Main John, tailor
Marr John, inspector of poor, collector of
rates & clerk to Parish Council & coal
merchant, Hillhead
Morrison Peter, boot mkr. Lochflemington
Munro John, carpenter, Tornagrain
FARMERS.
Brown William, Midcoul
Cattell James, Balsparden
Davidson Thomas, Kerrowaird
Ferguson Adam, Morayhill
Forbes William (Mrs.), Drumine
Fraser Roderick, Flemington
Garden Norman Macleod, Mains of Gollanfld
Kelly Mrs. Eliza, Hillhead
Kerr Andrew, Culblair
Macalpine Alex. William & Doual, Bedhill
McColl Ewen, Barnaglack
Maccombie Alexander, Carnoch
Macbain Malcolm R. Milton of Connage
Macbean Simon, Milton of Balragown
Macdonald William, Moraystown
Macdonald James, Easter Kerrowgair
Macdonald James, Polfaden
Mcintosh James, Easter Glacton
Mackay Thomas, Toumhomie
Maclean James, Bottyhill
Macrae Allan, Upper Cullernie
Macrae Mrs. Margaret & John D. Lower
Cullernie
Marr Mrs. Alexander, Woodend
Munro Donald, Milton of Bracklieh
Nairn James, Newton
Beid John, Mid-Dalziel
Reid John S. & Robert G. Fisherton
Reid James, Scottack
Robertson Mrs. Annie, Easter Dalziel
Rose Mrs. Elizabeth, Lonie
Bose James J.P. Mains of Connage
Ross William, Mid Kerrowgair
Ross Walter, Brackley
Eussell Donald J.P. Upper Kerrowgair
Strother James, Balmachree
Stuartcm.
Letters through Ardersier R.S.O.
Cameron Donald, butcher
COMMERCIAL.
Fraser Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker
Nicolson Isabella (Mrs.), grocer
Nicolson Alexander, grocer & coal mer
Stewart David, Ship inn
FOBTKEE, see Isle of Skye.
BAASAY ISLAND, see PORTREE
(Isle op Skye).
BONA ISLAND, see Portree (Isle
op Skye).
EOTHIEMUBCHTJS, see Duthil.
BOY BBIDGE, see Kilmonivaig.
BUM ISLAND, see Small Isles.
SANDY ISLAND, see SMALL ISLES,
"THE Isle of Skye is a large island off the
•north-western coast of the mainland of this
â–  county, from which it is separated by Sleat
Sound and Kyle Rhea; Loch Alsh, Kyle
Akin and the Inner Sound dividing its
â– .northern portion from Ross-shire. It com-
prises the parishes of Bracadale, Duirinish,
'Kilmuir, Portree, Sleat, Snizort and Strath
.and the quoad sacra parish and waternish
â– of Stenchol. The village of Portree, on the
east side, is 43ie capital, and contains the
ISLE OP SKYE.
sheriff's court, while the seven parishes form
the poor combination of Skye. Its length
from north to south is 45 miles, and its
breadth varies from 5 to 20 miles; its shape
is very irregular and its coast is deeply in-
dented by sea lochs, the largest being Loch
Snizort on the north, running about 8 miles
into the land, Loch Eishart on the south-
west, about 7 miles and Loch Dunvegan on
the west,about 6 miles; the first and last of
these lochs divide the northern head of the
island into 3 promontories, Duirinish Water-
nish and Trotternish, the latter and eastern
being the district which is connected with
the wanderings of Prince Charles Edward in
1746, and it also contains the two remark-
able groups of mountains known as the
Quiraing and the Storr Rock. The princi-
pal mountainous district in thai island lies
between Loch Eishart on the south of
Broadford and a line drawn from Portree to
Struam Inn, a little east of Loch Bracadale,

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence