‹‹‹ prev (777)

(779) next ›››

Established Churches : —
Cortachy, Rev. John Strachan
Clova (Quoad Sacra), Rev. Robert M.
Watson M.A
Glenprosen, Eev. Arch. James Millar
SCHOOL BOARD, Corfcachy.
Chairman, John Black
Clerk, John Edwards, Bearfanld, Cortachy
Board Schools: —
Corfcachy, Thomas P. Black, master
Clova, George Cameron, master
Wateresk, Thomas Campbell, master
Glenprosen, Bobert H. "Volume, master
Airlie Countess of, Cortachy castle
Black John J. P. Cortachy house
Kidd Charles, Downlepark house
Strachan Bey. John (Established)
Black John, factor to the Tutors of the
Earl of Airlie, & agent for the North Brit-
ish & Mercantile Insurance Co
Black Thomas P. inspector of poor & regis-
trar of births, deaths & marriages for Cor-
tachy & Clova parish, School house
Brow James, Jubilee Arms family hotel
Campbell Thomas, schoolmaster, Wateresk
Edwards John, agent for Standard Life In-
surance Co. collector of rates & clerk to
the school board, Bearfauld
M'Kenzie Alexander, joiner
Nicoll Alexander, grocer
Sandeman James, blacksmith
Winter James, postmaster <Jt draper
Watson Rev. Robert M., M.A. (Established)
Cameron George, schoolmaster
M'Kenzie John (Mrs.), Ogilvy Arms P.H
McLaren T. Shaw, Shawfield
Miller Rev. Archibald James (Estab)
Ogilvy Mrs. Balnaboth
Volume Robert H. schoolmaster
Annand David, Easter Kirton & North
Inch downie
Arnot William. Cramie & Mains of Glamis
Bain Thomas, Scobshangh
Brow James, Dykehead
Christi William, Crossbog
Duncan Thomas, Newbigging
Edwards John, Bearfauld
Farquharson Frank, Einrive
Fearn Robert,. Eggie
Ferguson William, Millhall
Findlav Alexander, Muir of Pearsie &
Findlay Chas. Cadam & South Inch downie
Findlay James, Middlehill & Lathnot
Hendry George, Tarrybuckle
Low James, Baeminzion
Low William, Glenarn
Mitchell David, Whitehillocks
M'Kenzie John, Giasslefc
M'Kenzie Mrs. John, Clova
Myles Robert, Coilamy & Delchip
Ogilvy Alexander, Wheen
Ogilvy Mrs. David, Rattafl
Ogilvy John, Clacknabrian & Glencult
Ogilvy Lauchlan, Alton
Robbie Charles, Gella
Robbie Mrs. Mary Ann, Kilnburn
Stewart John & William, Curnmure
Stewart John, Cullow & Todholes
WhyteArchibald,Glenmoye & Inverguharity
Whyte William, Hatton of Eassie, Spott,
Mains of Clova & Whitehaugh
Wilson Thomas, Wester Lednathie
CRAIG is a parish on the east coast,
occupying the peninsular south of Montrose
basin and the creek which connects that
water with the sea, and bounded on the
south by Lunan Bay, is S miles from east
to west by 2£ from north to south ; it) is in
the small debt court district of Montrose,
and contains 1 the fishing villages of Ferry-
den and Usan. The nearest railway station
is at Montrose, 1 mile north, on the
Caledonian and North British systems.
Dunninald Castle is the residence of Capt.
John Stansfeld J.P. and Rossie Castle of
Edward Millar esq. J.P. ; these, with
George Keith esq. J.P. are the principal
landowners. (Inchbrayock, or Rossie Islet,
in the creek, now belongs to the parish of
Montrose). The land is arable, with plenty
of limestone. The area comprises 4,324
acres; rateable value, £10,676; the popula-
tion in 1S91 was 2,300, and in 1901, 2,019
civil and 2,179 ecclesiastical.
Ferryden is one of the largest fishing
villages on the east coast of Scotland, with
a population of 1,330 in 1901, 1,482 in
1891, and 1,520 in 1831, and owning boats
and other fishing appliances to the extent
of upwards of £35,000.
Post Office, Ferryden ; James West, sub-
pcstrnas'ter. Letters through Montrose
ore delivered at 6.45 a.m. & 11.50 a.m. ;
dispatched at 12.40 p.m. & 5 p.m.
Postal orders issued and paid. Nearest
monej' order & telegraph office, Montrose,
2 miles distant
Letters for Usan & Craig should be ad-
dressed " near Montrose "
Parish Council & Rate Officers, Craig, John
Fenton, inspector; Alexander Middleton,
collector of rates, Montrose
Registrar of Births. Deaths & Marriages,
Craig, Walter W. Graham
Surgeon, Andrew Eey M.D
Superintendent, James Carston
Secretary & Treasurer, David Smith
Burial Ground, Rossie island, Craig
Rossie Pleasure Grounds, Rossie
Templars' Hall, Ferryden
Scurdyness Lighthouse, Robert McColm and
John Thompson, keepers
Established Church, Craig, Rev. Robert
Scott M.A
United Free Church, Ferryden, Rev. Thos.
Fraser M.A
Clerk & Treasurer, David Crombie Wills
Board Schools : —
Craig, Walter W. Graham M.A. master
Ferryden, Henry B. Adams, master; Misb
Cecilia Scott, mistress
Westerton, Mrs. Jane Wilkie, mistress
Infants', Ferryden, Miss Jessie Coull, mist
Attendance Officer, Joseph Coull, jun.
Fletcher John, Inchbrayock
Fraser Rev, Thomas M.A. (United Free
Church), Ferryden
Keith George J.P. Usan house
Millar Edward J.P. Rossie castle
Scott Rev. Robert M.A. (Established)
Stansfeld Capt. John J.P. Dunninald castle
Buchan David, joiner, Rossie mill
Burnett & Sons, millwrights & machinists,
Calder James, spirit dealer, Ferryden
Carston James, supt. Rossie reformatory
Clondsley George, boot maker, Ferryden
Coull Joseph, joiner & school attendance
officer, Ferryden
Coull Roger (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Ferryden
Crockart William, chemist, Ferryden
Edward John, blacksmith, Usan
Fenton John, inspector of poor for Craig
parish, Ferryden
Findlay Mary "(Mrs.), grocer, Ferryden
Findlay William, grocer, Ferryden
Gemlo Annie (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Ferrvden
Graham Walter W. schoolmaster & regis-
trar of births, deaths & marriages
Lackie David, tinsmith
McColm Robert, lighthouse kpr. Ferryden
Mearns Catherine (Mrs.), shopkpr. Ferry den
Mudie Alexander, blacksmith
Pert David, tailor, Ferrvden
Reformatory for Boys (David Smith, see. &
treasurer; James Carston, snpt.), Rossie
Sheriffs James, market gardener, Ferryden
Thompson John, lighthouse kpr. Ferryden
West Daniel, fish merchant & pilot
West James, grocer, Post office, Ferryden
Byars David, Balstout
Calder Joseph, Seaton of Usan
Coutts John, Muir of Rossie
Grant William, Govanhili
Keith George, Mains of Usan
Kydd Alexander, Ferryden
Kydd William, Ferryden
Low Alexander, Castle Braes, Rossie
McGregor William, West Mains of Rossie
Millar Edward, East Mains of Rossie *
Spence Andrew, Mountboy
Spence David, Dunninald
Tindal John, Barns of Craig
Watson William, Boddin
CRAIG-TON, see Moxikie.
DOUGLASTOWN, see Ein^ettlea
DTJET is a parish, 4 miles in extent from
east to west and 3£ from north to south.,
and is bounded on the north by Stracathro>
and Logie-Pert, on the south by Maryton
and Farnell, on the west by Brechin and on
the east by Montrose; it lies between Mont-
rose and Brechin, being 4 miles east of
the latter place, on the nortli bank of the-
South Esk, with a station on the Caledonian
railway, and is in the small debt court
district of Montrose. The parish church is
a plain stone building. The principal
landowners are the Rt. Hon. James Alex-
ander Campbell M.P. of Stracathro', Sir
George McPherson Grant, of Ballindalloch,.
Augustus J. W. H. Kennedy-Erskine esq.
of Dun house, and Augustus Walter Cruik-
shank esq. of Langley Park. Dun
House, the property and residence of A.
J. W. H. Kennedy-Erskine esq. is situated!
in grounds of about 1,500 acres and com-
mands extensive views of the sea and
surrounding country. The land is gener-
ally fertile. In the parish is a small lake,
called Dun's Dish. Near the railway sta-
tion is a bridge of three arches, erected in
the year 1785-7, which crosses the South
Esk river. The area comprises 4,306 acres;
rateable value, £7,250; the population in
1891 was 552, and in 1901, 526.
Post & T. O. Railway station, Bridge of
Dun; . William Howie, sub-postmaster.
Delivery, 8 a.m. & 11.15 a.m. (callers
only); dispatches, 12.40 p.m. Postal
Orders are issued here & paid. Nearest
- money order offices are at Hillside &
Montrose, 3£ & 4£ miles distant respec-
Letters for Dun should be addressed
" near Montrose "
Parish Council Rate Officer, Inspector &
Collector & Registrar of Births, Deaths
& Marriages, James Cameron
Established "Church, Bev. Alex. Anderson
Clerk & Treasurer, Alexander Middleton^
Board School, James Cameron, master
Caledonian railway.
Station, Bridge of Dun, William Howie,
station master
Anderson Rev. Alexander (Established)
Duncan George, Wellhill
Kennedy-Erskine Mrs. Broomley
Kennedy-Erskine Augustus John William-
Henry, Dun house
Lumsden Col. Henry Wm. Langley park.
Cameron James, schoolmaster, inspector &
collector to Parish Council & registrar
of births, deaths & marriages
Duncan Geo. brict & tile manfr. Pugeston
Duthie Alexander, road surveyor, Dun cots
Ewan George, blacksmith
Hill Robert, blacksmith, Langley
Howie William, postmaster '& station
master, Bridge of Dun
Sim John, timber mer. Bridge of Dun
Smith James, joiner
Aikenhead William. West Broomley
Coupar James, North Mains of Dun
Cruikshank Augustus W. (trustees of),
Langley park
Davidson Francis, Tayock
Gibson Charles (trustees of). Damside
Jollv William, East & West Levs of Dun
M'Niven Janet (Mrs.), Whitefield
Malcolm John (reps, of), Woodslde of Bal-
Riach William, Gilrivie
Rodger Bobert, Mains of Dun
Samson James, Balwyllo
Spence Andrew (trustees of), Glenskinno
Young James, Fordhouse

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence