‹‹‹ prev (749)

(751) next ›››

686 AEB1RL0T.
â– Craig William, market gardener
Bon Susan (Mrs.), blacksmith
Dunbar Jane (Miss), dress ma. Bonnington
Galloway Edward, blacksmith, Bonnington
Hendry Charles, grocer & butcher
Kelly Bleaching Co. bleachers & dyers,
Kelly Bleachfields
Petrie David, joiner, Salmond'a muir
'Petrie James, tailor
Steele David Buick, joiner, registrar & in-
spector of poor & clerk to the Parish
"Wilson William, schoolmaster
Addison-Scott James, Newton
Baird Patrick, Craigend
Blues John, Millhill
Bowie Robert, Mains of Kelly
Brown John, Peasiehill
Chalmers' William, Easter Knox
Cook John, Bank
Douglas Mrs. Thomas, Greenford
Dunbar Alex. Shelterfield
Esplin David, Kelly field
Fairlie James, Easter Bonhard
Fin! ay son James, Balcathie
Fowler Arthur, Braeside
Hall James, Crudieacres
Harris John, Salmond's muir
Hynd Thomas, Nether Kelly
Ireland Mrs. James, East Balmirmir
Jack Adam, Pitcundrum
King Alexander, Hunterspath
Kydd John, Lochaber
Lamb David, Blindwells
M'Corquodale David, Cuthlie
Maxwell David, Panlattice mill
Norrie Benjamin, Denhead
Norrie Thomas, Fairways
Petrie David, Salmond's muir
ltennie Mrs. Susanah, Crudie
Hew Isabella (Mrs.), Lesliehall
Samson George, Bankhead
Sievewright John, Bonnyton
Thomson George, Fauldie hill
Young George J.P. Panlathie
ARBROATH is a royal burgh, a seaport nnd
the seat of a presbytery, 60 miles north-
â– north-east from Edinburgh, 110 north-east
from Glasgow, 17 north-east from Dundee,
15 south-east from Forfar and 12 south from
Montrose, situated, on a small plain on the
coast of the German Ocean, and on
both sides of the river Brothock where it
flows into the sea. It has a station, which is
a junction for the Dundee, Arbroath and
â– Forfar Joint railway of the Caledonian and
North British lines with the Arbroath and
•Montrose section of the North British rail-
way. The harbour is extensive, and has
heen greatly improved, at a cost of more
than £20,000; steamers of a fairly large
size frequent the port. The number of
sailing and steam vessels registered as be-
longing to the port, December 31, 1902,
under Part I. of the Merchant Shipping
Act, 1898, was 9 of 718 tons. The num-
ber of vessels that entered the port in 1902,
-with cargoes and in ballast, was, British,
â– 5 of 3,292 tons; foreign, 15 of 4,371 tons.
The number of British and foreign cleared
â– was. 3 of 498 tons. In the coasting trade
153 entered of 11,934 tons, and 165 cleared
•of 18,503 tons. The total value of the
amports in 1902 was £99,191 and exports,
At the commencement of me 18th
century, Arbroath had but little trade,
notbling being then directly imported ex-
cept; occasional cargoes of wood from Nor-
way; flax, iron and other useful commo-
dities being purchased from the merchants
in Dundee and Montrose. About the year
1738, the manufacture of coarse linens was
â–  introduced, and the staple trade of Arbroath
at the present day is the manufacture of sail
cloth and other coarse linens; the prepara-
tion and spinning of the yarns of these pro-
ductions of the loom is carried on exten-
sively by many firms and individuals. Jute
spinning has also been introduced, but lis of
small extent compared with flax spinning.
In addition to the linen trade there are
various concerns of magnitude, including en-
gineering works, iron foundries, a tannery,
large and flourishing boob and shoe manufac-
tories, roperies &c. and a good trade exists
in the exportation of grain and potatoes.
There are branches here of the British Linen
Company, the Clydesdale Bank Limited, the
Commercial Bank of Scotland Limited, the
Royal Bank of Scotland, the Bank of Scot-
land, the North of Scotland Bank Limited
and the National Bank of Scotland Limited,
nnd there is also a bank for savings. This
town was gifted to the abbey of Aber-
brothock (founded in 1178 by "William the
Lion), and the abbey was erected into a
burgh of regality and received a charter as
a royal burgh in 1599. The existing re-
mains of the abbey comprise the south
gable of the transept, the north-west tower,
about) 70 feet high, portions of the chapter
house, and the west door and the gate
house, with its crow-stepped gable, the
style fis Early English and Transitional,
and has some remarkable arcading in the
lower stories. A part of the abbot's lodg-
ings is also extant In this house Kin?
Robert the Bruce was frequently entertained
by the abbot, who was also Chancellor of
Scotland. The monks first came from Kelso,
and Reginald (a monk of Tyron) was first
abbot. The abbey was very extensively en-
dowed with lands' and other gifts by Kings
William I., Alexander II. and Bobert I.
and their nobility. It possessed 46 parish
churches, and extensive lands in several
counties, particularly in the north of Scot-
Sand, with privileges of regality &c. The
abbots of this foundation had privileges
which others did not enjoy — they were
exempt from assisting at the yearly synods,
and had the distinction of making use of
and wearing the pontifical ornaments. King
John conferred on the inhabitants of the
place the same privileges that his subjects
enjoyed throughout all England, except in
his city of London.
Arbroath is governed by a provost, three
bailies, a dean of guild, treasurer and 12
councillors. There is a guildry and a body
of seven incorporated trades, but these are
now virtually private bodies. This town
unites with Forfar, Montrose, Brechin and
Bervie in sending one member to the Im
perial Parliament. Arbroath is the seat of
a sheriff court for the district. The court
sits weekly, on Wednesday, during session.
Police courts are also held weekly, or
oftener when necessary, and burgh and jus-
tice of peace courts "are also held. The
parish of Arbroath is now a joint parish with
St. Vigeans for administrative purposes, by
Order which took effect from the loth July,
1895; they are in the poor combination and
small debt court district of Arbroath. There
are many well built streets, the principal
business streets being High street, Keptie
street and West port. The town has been
greatly improved by paving and sewerage,
and by the addition of elegantly fitted and
well supplied shops, and possesses a Free
Public Library, and several good hotels,
the principal being the White Hart. The
Victoria Park, adjoining the cliffs on the
north-east side of the town, was opened in
1897 in commemoration of the Diamond
Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria.
The Town House was built in 1S12, and
in 1S85, at the rear of it, commodious
market buildings were erected by tlie
magistrates and town council, at an nut-
lay of about £7,000. A large public hall,
with subsidiary rooms, in High street,
was built in 1866 by an incorporated com-
pany. The poorhouse, situated in an ele-
vated and healthy suburb of the town,
was erected in 1866. A Free Public Li-
brary was opened June 4th, 1SSS in the
building formerly the High School, pur-
chased by David Corsar esq. of The Elms,
and by him presented to the town, Andrew
Carnegie esq. contributing £1,000 towards
the library. The market is held on
Saturday, and the fairs on the last Satur-
day in January for general business and hir-
ing servants ; on the 28th May, or first Satur-
day thereafter, for hiring; July 18th(if it fall
on a Saturday, if not, on the following Satur-
day) for general business and hiring; and
2Sth November, or first Saturday thereafter,
for hiring. Two newspapers are published
in the town, the " Arbroath Guide " (every
Saturday") and the "Arbroath. Herald"
(every Thursday).
Arbroath is the seat of a presbyterv (No.
52), which meets on first Tuesday of Febru-
ary, April, May, July, September and De-
cember : it has, with the joint parish of St.
Vigeans, seven Established places of wor-
ship, eight United Free churches, and also
Episcopalian, Baptist, Congregational,
Evangelical Union, Wesleyan Methodist,
Original Secession, Roman Catholic and
Catholic Apostolic churches. The parish
church (with the exception of the steeple)
was totally destroyed by lire in November,
1892, but was rebuilt in 1895, at a cost
of £10,000, in the Early Pointed style,
from designs by John James Burnet esq.
A.R.S.A. of Glasgow; the former steeple,
built in 1832, and 150 feet in height, re-
mains : the east window is a memorial
to John Macdonald esq. town clerk and
his wife; the carved oak pulpit was pre-
sented by the Young Men's Guild. The
High school, in Keptie road, at the west
end of the town, on seven acres of ground,
feued from the HospitalfLeld. Trustees,
was erected in 1S95 at a cost of £12.000,
and is in the Elizabethan style, from
plans by Messrs. Carver and Svmon,
Arbroath; the building is of two s"toreys
and contains 18 class rooms, sclience, art,
and music rooms, five teachers' rooms.
lavatories &c. : the school includes an ele-
mentary department for children till thev
have passed Class 4. The endowments,
including a grant from the County Com-
mittee, amount to about £665 per annum;
there are about 80 free scholarships for
children from Arbroath and the neigh-
bouring parishes, 8 Gibson scholarships,
and 4 bursaries of £15 each, given by
the Educational Trust; the school is in
charge of a rector and a large staff of
teachers, and is under the management of
the School board. The Arbroath and Dis-
trict Isolation Hospital for Infectious
Diseases, on the Forfar road, was begun
in 1901, at an estimated cost of £10,000,
from designs by Mr. Hugh Gavin, archi-
tect, of Arbroath, but is not yet com-
pleted; it will contain 35 beds, and will
be under the joint governorship of the
Arbroath Town Council and the Arbroath
District members of the County Council.
The local charities of the town include the
Infirmary and Dispensary at High Com-
mon (with Epidemic Hospital adjacent),
two destitute sick societies; also a number
of mortifications, viz. : Carmichael's,
founded in 1738, for seven widows of ship
masters; Colvill's, founded in 1812, pro-
viding £60 annually for the education of
ten poor children; £10 for Scotch Epis-
copal clergymen; £10 for the poor of
Arbroath ; the like sum to the poor
of St. Vigeans, and the residue to 20
poor householders ; Dove's, founded in
1841, for the education of " native born
boys," of pcor parentage; Mrs. Penny
Strachan's, of £50 yearly, for providing
coals and oatmeal for'distribution at Christ-
mas amongst the most necessitous poor;
Forbes's Fund, founded in 1864, from
which sums of not less than £8 nor more
than £10 yearly are given for the relief
of destitute widows and old unmarried
females in the town of Arbroath; the Gib-
son Fund, founded in 1868, and consisting
of the annual produce of the residue of
the trust estate of William Gibson, and
applied a3 follows: — £100 to the rector
of the High school for the education
of eight boys, and the remainder to be
divided yearly in sums of not less than
£20 and not more than £25 among poor
householders of the town of Arbroath,
preference being given tn respectable
worthy people of fallen fortunes ; the
Gibson Christmas Charity, founded in 1S6S.
and being the annual revenue of a sum of
£2,000, applied in the purchase of coals,
groceries, oatmeal and clothes for distri-
bution among the necessitous poor of the
town; the Gtibson Mortification, founded in
1868, and consisting of the annual revenue
of a sum of £4.000, divided yearly "among
16 poor householders; the Petrie Gift, a
fund supposed to amount to about £2,000,
bequeathed in 1875, by Mr. William Petrie,
manufacturer, to be' distributed in £10
shares among " poor, deserving women of
respectable character, being in and be-
longing to, and at the time resident in
the parish of St. Vigeans, and who have
not been in receipt of parochial relief for
the preceding five years at least"; the
Duncan Charity, founded in 1869, and con-
sisting of the annual profits of three-eighths
of the residue of the estates of the late
David Duncan, for the behoof of poor, aged
and reduced persons, not being objects of
parochial relief; the Arbikie Fund, be-
queathed by John Mudie, of Pitmuies,
being the personal estate of his sister,
the late Miss Catherine Mudtie, of
Arbikie, to which he had succeeded, the

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence