‹‹‹ prev (748)

(750) next ›››

ABEELEMNO is a parish in the poor
comhinabion and small debt court district of
Forfar, with a hamlet of the Mime name, 6
miles north-east from Forfar and G south-
west from Brechin, the nearest railway
station being- at Aldbar, on the Caledonian
railway, 3£ miles south, near the boundary
of the parish. The parish is about 5 mile?
from north to south by 4 miles wide, and
bounded on the north-east and east by tne
parish of Brechin, Guthrie on the south-
east, Rescobie on the south-west, Oathlaw on
the west, Tannadice on the north-west and
Careston on the north. The river South
Esk flows along ihe north boundary. The
Established church here is a good building
of stone, and there is also a Free church.
A quarry in the parish yielding good flag-
stones and slates, employs a considerable
number of the inhabitants, the remainder
being occupied in agriculture. Turin Hill,
the highest elevation in the parish, is 800
feet above sea level. In the parish
churchyard is an inscribed monolith, and a
little to the north of the parish church
are three others. A little to the eastward
of the church are the ruins of the Castle
of Flemington, and about 2 miles north-
east from the church are the ruins of
Melgund Castle, supposed to have been
erected by Cardinal Beaton. The " vitri-
fied Fort of Finhaven " is about a mile
west from the parish church. The Earl of
Minto G.C.M.G., F.C., V.D. is the prin-
cipal landowner. The area comprises 8,014
acres; rateable value, £8,501; the popula-
tion was in 1891 926, and in 1901, 804.
Post Office; Andrew Davidson, pub-post-
master. Deliverv, 10.30 a.m. ; dispatch,
11.30 a.m. & 12".55 p.m. Postal Orders
are issued & paid here. The nearest
money order office is at Forfar, & the
nearest telegraph office at Aldbar station.
Letters should be addressed " near
Forfar "
Post Office, Netherton; Robert Bruce, sub-
postmaster. Letters received through
Brechin; delivery, 10.15 a.m.; dispatch.
1.45 p.m. Postal Orders are issued &
paid here. Brechin is the nearest money
order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant
Inspector of Poor. Collector of Bates &
Registrar of Births. Deaths & Marriages,
James Stewart, School house
Established Church, Rev. James Beattie
Burnett M.A., B.D
United Free Church, Rev. James Haggart
Clark If. A
A School Board of five members was formed
in 1873 ; John S. Gordon, clerk
Aberlemno, James Stewart, master; Miss
Joanna Ramsay
Pitkenney, William Irvine, master
Station, at Aldbar road, about 3J miles from
Aberlemno, Peter Taylor, master
Names marked thus f receive letter-
through Brechin.
Burnett Rev. James Beattie M.A., B.D
(Established Church), The Manse
fChalmers Patrick J. P. Aldbar castle
Clark Rev. James Haggart M.A. United
Free Church Manse
Lowson Miss, Belgavies house
Adam George, blacksmith, Turin hill
Beattie William, blacksmith, Balgavies
tBruce James, joiner, Netherton
â– j-Burns William, blacksmith, Netherton
Calder Brothers, stone mers. ifc quarry ownrs
Davidson Andrew, shopkeeper, & post office
tGraham Robt. meal miller, Blaikie mill
Grieve David, blacksmith
Jolly Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Kiddie William, miller, West Milldens
fMiller John, saw mill owner, Blaikie mill
Milne George, miller, Mill of Melgund
Mudie Thomas, spirit dealer, Crosston
Stewart James, registrar of births, deaths &
marriages, inspector of poor, collector of
rates & schoolmaster, School house
Adam George, Turin hill
Calder William, Woodend of Aldbar
Carnegie Alexander & Andrew, Muirside
of Melgund
Catanach John, North Mains of Balgavies
Davidson Alexander, Tillywhanland
Fairweather James, Craiksfolds
Fairweather Peter S. Blebberhill
Falconer Robert, Wood of Killockshaw
fGraham Robert, Mills of Blaikie mill
Grant John & Isabella (Mrs.), Turin Mains
Herald Peter, Netherton of Melgund
Inglis David, Broomknowe
Jarron John N. Mains of Melgund
Kiddie William, West Milldens
Leitch John, Damside
Lindsay Andrew, jun. Balnacake
Lowson William, Kirkton
McDonald John, Southtown of Melgund
M'Laren John, Balgarrock
Milne Wm. Morgan, North Mains of Turin
Milne Peter, Wanders hill
Mollison William, Belly hill
Myles John Blyth, Ealglassie
Norrie Elizabeth (Mrs.) (reps, of), Howmuir
Oldham Robert, Pitkennedy
Potter David, Turinhill
Potter John, Woodside
Ramsay John, Cotton of Turin
Salmond James (trustees of), Carsgownie
Sherret Wm. & David, Bog of Pitkennedy
Smith John, Eastertown of Melgund
Stephen Frederick S. Woodrae
Taylor Peter, Carsegownie Muir
Thomson James, Melgin bank
Webster Patrick, Flemington
Wedderspoon George, Mains of Balgavies
AIRLIE (formerly Airly) is a parish with
a kirktown, about) 5 miles west from Kir-
riemuir, 10 miles north-west from Forfar
and 5 miles north-east from Olyth, in the
western part of the county, on the borders
of Perthshire, and in the small debt court
district of Kirriemuir; its length from
north-east to south-by-wesfc is about 6
miles, with a breadth varying from a half
to 4 miles, and it is bounded on the north
by Lintrathen and Kingoldrum, on the east
hy Kirriemuir and Glamis, on the south by
Eassie and Meigle and on the west by Glen-
isla and Rutnven ; part of the line of
boundary being formed by the river Isla and
its tributaries, the Meigle and Dean. The
nearest railway stations are Eassie and
Glamis, on the Perth and Forfar section of
the Caledonian railway ; each about 4 miles
south-west and southeast respectively from
Airlie kirktown. Within the parish is
situared Airlie Castle, the ancient, seat of
the Ogilvies, Earls of Airlie, and now
much frequented in the summer months by
visitors. Small portions only of the ancient
structure are preserved, these being the
front wall and entrance tower, the arch of
which still retains its portcullis; these are
incorporated in the modern mansion, called
Airlie Castle, now the residence of the
Dowager Countess of Airlie. Lindertis is
the residence of Sir Campbell Munro bart.
D.L., J. P. who is the principal landowner :
the tutors of the Earl of Airlie (a minor"),
the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorn, and
Edward Cox esq. of Cardean, are also
landowners. The area of the parish com-
prises 8,923 acres; rateable value, £8,351;
the population in 1891 was 741, in 1901,
Post & T. O. Craigton, Mrs. Catherine
Findlay. sub-postmistress. Letters arrive
from Kirriemuir at 10.40 a.m. & dis-
patched at 2.10 p.m. Postal Orders are
issued here & paid. Kirriemuir is the
nearest money order office
Chairman, James Adam
Clerk, William Lyon
Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates &
Registrar nf Births, Deaths & Marriages
for the parish, William Lynn
Established Church, Rev. William Wilson
United Free Church, Rev. John F.Linn M.A
Clerk, James Davidson, Kirriemuir
Board School, Airlie, Wm. Lyon, master
Adam James, Braidestone
Airlie Dowager Countess of, Airlie castle
Linn Rev. John Fleming M.A. (U. F. C)
Munro Capt. Sir Campbell bart. J. P. Lin
Munro Hugh T., J. P. Drumlevs
Nicoll Thomas M., J.P. Littleton
Wilson Rev. William (Established Church),
The Manse
Duncan David, blacksmith
Duncan David (Mrs.), grocer
Findlay Catherine (Mrs.), boot & shoe mkr.
& postmistress, Craigton
Hay Alexander & Sons, joiners
Lundies Andrew, blacksmith
Lyon William, schoolmaster, clerk to Parish
Council, inspector of poor, collector of
rates, registrar of births, deaths & mar-
arbirlot. 685
riages for AirlSe parish & agent for
Caledonian Insurance Co. & heritor's
clerk. School house
Milne John, grocer, Kirktown
Peters Catherine (Mrs.), blacksmith
Robertson William, blacksmith, BlackhilL
Strathearn John, joiner & wright
Adam James, Braidestone
Ballingall William O. Cookston
Birrell Andrew (exors. of). Wester Carde^D
Cox Edward, WesthiU
Davie John. Brae of Airlie
Easson John, Blackhill
Fenton William F. Kinalty
Jeffrey James, Hillock head
Lamond Francis (Mrs.), Ghenty
M'Hardy John, Dilhvaird
Mealmaker Robert & Thomas, Leys
McKenzie Willinm, Kinalty Haughs-
Nicoll Andrew, Barns
Nicoll Mrs. Margaret, Reedie
Nicoll Thomas M. Littleton
Patullo Hugh Munro, Newton
Patullo John, Linross
Ramsay David, Muirhouses
Walker John, Baitland
Watson John, Auchendorie
Wedderburn Tbomas, Ogilvy
Wilson Adam M. Braidestone
Young James, Powmire
ALYTH JUNCTION, see Newtyle.
See Perthshike.
ARBIRLOT is a parish and village, the-
former bounded on the east by the German
Ocean, north by Arbroath and St. Vigeans,
west by Carmyllie and south by Panoride
parishes; it is in the smatt debt court
district of Arbroath and extends 4 miles
from north to Eouth by 3 in breadth. The
loop line of the Dundee and Dubton section
Joint Caledonian and North British rafilway
runs- along the coast and has 1 a station 2
miles east of the church, called Elliot Junc-
tion. The village, which is 3 miles' west of
Arbroath and 14 north-east from Dundee, is
on the east bank of the Elliot burn, from-
which the old name of the parish (Abey-
elliot) was derived. About a quarter of a
mile south-east of the village stands Kelly
Castle, which originally belonged to the
family of Ouchterlony, and is now held b-j
the trustees of the late Earl of DalhousieV
it is at present tenanted by Henry M'Grady
esq. The surface of the* land is flat andf
along the sea coast the soil is sandy; in-
land it is a rich loam, capable nf producing
various crops. The Earl of Dalhousie is
the principal landowner. The area com-
prises S,747 acres; rateable value, £8,815;
the population in 1891 was 848, and ia
1901, 800.
Post Office; William Craig, sub-nostmaster.
Lettors' through Arbroath. Delivery, 8
a.m. & dispatch at 3 p.m. Nearestt
money order & telegraph office is at
Arbroath, 3 miles distant
Chairmin, James Fairlie
Clerk. David B. Steele
Parochial Board & Rate Office & Inspector
of Poor & Registrar of Births, Deaths &
Marriages, David B. Steele
Established Church, Rev. Wm. W. Scotlanr?
United Free Church, Rev. Edward Ver-
non M.A
Chairman, David A. McCorqudale
Clerk & Treasurer, William K. Macdonald
Board School, Braeside, William Wilson,
master; Mies Jane Muckart, mistress
On the Dundee & Arbroath Joint line.
Station, Elliot Junction, John Carnegie;
station master
Balfour Alexander J.P. Bloomfield house*
Arbirlot road
Dowall Mrs. Wormyhills
M'Grady Henrv, Kelly castle
Scotland Rev. William W. (Estab. Church),.
The Manse
Vernon Rev. Edward M.A. (U. F. C.)>
Free manse
Blues John, miller
Briggs William, asphalte manufacturer,
chemical manufacturer & paviors, Elliofi
Christie Wm. blacksmith, Salmond's muir

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence