‹‹‹ prev (689)

(691) next ›››

(690)
626 ELIE.
Graham George, jobmaster, Williamsburgh
Graham John, watch maker,
jeweller & house agent (lists
on application), <&* High st
Greigr's McDuff Cycle & Motor
Depots; & at Earlsferry
Heughan John, blacksmith, Kirk park
Jamieson William, factor for the Elie estate
& clerk to the heritors of Elie, Sauchur ho
Eetchen Henry M. solicitor, town clerk to
burghs of Elie&Earlsferry, clerk to School
Board, clerk to Joint Local Authority
(Water Board), sec. to Gas Co. & sec. to
Golf House Club, Bank street
Kinnear Alice Graham (Mrs.), milliner,
Bank street
Ladies' Golf Club (George A. Clark, sec)
Leitch Andrew.painter & paperhngr.i'ack pi
Lowson William, Bank Street
Posting; estabGishmemt & the
Marine Hotel Livery & Baiting
stato!es&RidingSchooi,High st
Lunatic Asylum, James Murray's Royal
(summer resort) (Miss Bust, matron),
Seven Gables
McCallum George (Mrs.), grocer & spirit
dealer, South street
McDougall Daniel, chemist, High street
Mcintosh John, builder
Macintosh William, harbour master
Mackintosh, Watson & Murray, solicitors
& notaries public, 56 High street
Marine Hotel (Elie Hotel Co. Ltd
proprietors) ; spienciid situa-
tion ; excellent cuisine
Menzies John & Co. booksellers & news
agents, Bailwar station
Morris J. & Sons, bakers &c. & restaurant
keepers, High street
National Bank of Scotland Lim. (branch)
(Henry M. Ketehen, agent) ; head office,
Edinburgh ; draw on London office, 37
Nicholas lane E C, Bank of England E C,
Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. E C, Coutts &
Co. W C, & Union of London & Smiths
Bank Lim. E C, London
Ovenston Wiliiam, stationer &
fancy goods dealer, P03t office
Penman George, draper, High street
Pentland-Smith Archibald Lumsdaine M.A.,
B.Sc.St. And's., M.B., C.M.Edin.surgeou,
Park place
Purves John & Son, plumbers,
ironmongers, gas-fitters & zinc
workers, High street
Bamsay Isabella (Mrs.), berlin wool & fancy
dealer, High street
Eitchie Janet B. (Miss), diaper, 35a,High st
Bobertson William, gardener, High street
Bodgers Win. chief officer Coastguard statn
Pime Bobert, carting contractor, Vennel
Sloman Herbert L.B.C.P.Lond., M.B.C.S.
Eng. physician & surgeon, Surrey house
Subscription Library (David Affleck, lib.),
Bankeillor street
Sunter Christopher M. joiner & builder,
Williamsburgh
Thomson James, grocer, 50 High street
Thomson Bobert, grocer & spirit dealer,
55 High street
Warrender J. & M. J. fish mers. High st
FAEMEKS.
Allan Andrew
Baird William, Muircambus mill
Berwick Waiker P. Ardross
Bowman James, Bowhouse
Brunton Mrs. Isabella G. S. Grange hill
Brunton John. Wadeslea
Brown Andrew, Kincraig
FALKLAND is a royal burgh and
parish, with a station on the Thornton,
Ladybank and Dundee section of the North
British railway, 2£ miles east of the burgh,
and known a9 Falkland road. The burgh
lies' 25 miles north from Edinburgh, 15
south-east from Perth and 10 south-west
from Cupar., The parish, wlrch is in the
small debt court district of Auchtermuchty,
extends 6 miles* from east to west by 4
broad, and is bounded north by Auchter-
muchty, west by Strathmiglo, south by
Leslie and Markinch, and east by Kettle.
The town was erected into a burgh by
.Tames II. in 1458, and its charter was con-
firmed and renewed by James VI. in 1595.
The government consists of a provost, two
bailies, a treasurer, a town clerk and nine
councillors. Falkland consists principally
of one street, the eastern part of which is
broad and spacious, but towards the west
is narrow The few good houses are of
an antique character, somewhat in keeping
with the architecture of the palace, a build-
ing well worthy of notice, and for a long
time was only a ruin, but was rescued from
total decay and repaired by the late Mr.
Bruce of Nuthill, and since .1895 has been
restored at the expense of the late Mar-
quis of Bute K.T. The royal family of
FIFESHIRE.
Scotland resided here occasionally up to
the time of Charles II., who called here on
his return from the continent in 1G50.
James "V. died here in 1542. In the old
castle of Falkland, David Stewart, Duke
of Rothesay, eldest son of Robert III.
was confined, and here he died, 27 March,
1402. Sir Walter Scott, in his " Fair
Maid of Perth," wove in the traditional
story. Only a portion of the founda-
tions of this ancient fortress now re-
mains. In 1715, it is said, the famous
Rob Roy garrisoned the palace with a party
of Macgregors, and laid the country under
heavy contributions. The manufacture of
linen forms an important branch of trade
here, and the chief occupation of the in-
dustrious class is weaving. A town hall
was erected in 1804, in which balls and
other public assemblages take place. A
large common, which belongs to Falkland,
ami on which the inhabitants had a right
to turn their cattle, &c. was in 1818 divided
among the heritors, and is now nearly all
enclosed. The parish church, erected by
the late O.T. Bruce esq. at an expense of
£7,000, is a line structure, with a tower
and spire ; a monument to Mr. Bruce has
been erected on Black Hill, near the
Lomonds, and in the square behind the
palace is a memorial to Col. Robert Bruce,
and John Bruce, king's printer for Scot-
land. The House of Falkland, erected by
the late Mr. Bruce, and one of the finest
mansions in the county, is now, wtlth the
estates, the property of Lord Edw. Ninian
Cricht on- Stuart. The Lomond hills in this
district are cone-shaped ; the eastern Lo-
mond, which is the most regular and
beautiful, is about 1,450 feet above the
level of the sea, and appears to have been
fortified. The western Lomond is higher,
and has on its top a large cairn. Lord E.
N. Crichton-Stuart of Falkland, Charles
Maitland Mackgill-Crichton, of Latbrisk,
and Edward Balfour esq. of Balbirnie, are
the principal landowners. The area com-
prises 3,179 acres; rateable value of parish,
£12,938; of burgh, £3,026; population in
1891 was 2,470, and in 1901, 2,231, in-
cluding 809 in the royal burgh.
Freuchie is a village in this parish. The
manufacture of linen is carried on here.
and there are United Free and quoad sacra
churches. There is also a public school.
Falkland road is the nearest railway sta-
tion, one mile distant. Population in 1891,
913, and 1901, 827.
Newton of Falkland is a hamlet about
midway between Falkland and Freuchie,
where there is> an extensive trade carried
on in brewing. Falkland road is the near-
est railway station, 2 miles distant.
Post, T., M. O., T. M. O., E. D. & P. P. &
S. B. & A. & I. O. Falkland ; Miss Davina
Reekie, postmistress. (RailwaySub-Office.
Letters should have R.S.O. Fifeshire
added.) Deliveries, 8.45 a.m. & 7 p.m. ;
dispatches, 6.25 a.m. & 3.55 p.m
Post, T., M. O., T. M. 0., E. D. & P.
P. & S. B. & A. & I. 0. Freuchie;
John Senior, postmaster. (Railwav Sub-
Office. Letters should have R.S.O*. Fife- Donaldson Jane (Mrs.)
shire added.) Deliveries, 8.30 a.m. & J Equitable Co-operative
6.30 p.ra.'i; dispatches, 6.415 a.m. &
4.15 p.m>
Post Office, Newt on of Falkland; Alexander
Archibald, sub-postmaster. (RailwaySub-
Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Fife-
shire added.) Deliveries, 8.25 a.m. & 6.35
p.m.; dispatches, 6.20 a.m. & 4.5 p.m.
Falkland is the nearest money order &
telegraph office, 1 mile distant
BURGH OF FALKLAND MUNICIPAL
OFFICES AND OFFICIALS.
Town Hall, Falkland.
Provost, William Page
Bailies, Robert Miller & Thos. Sutherland
Councillors, nine
Town Clerk. Charles Gulland
Burgh Treasurer, James Robertson
Burgh Assessor, Lawrence Reid
Medical Officer of Health, J. Aitken M.D.,
CM., D.P.H. (of Buckhaven)
Town Officer, George Baxter
Procurator Fiscal, John Dick
Inland Revenue Office (stamps & taxes),
Falkland, Thomas Williamson, sub-dis-
tributor & collector
Police Stations, Falkland;
constable & Freuchie,
constable
Lumsden Memorial Hall, Freuchie, David
Rymer, sec
Masonic- Lodge (St. John's, No. 35),Falklnd
[slater's
Lawrence Allan,
Peter McHardy,
Inspector of*' Poor & Registrar of Births
Deaths & Marriages, Lawrence Reid
Collector of Rates, Charles Gulland
Parochial Medical Officer, PubUc Vaccinator
& Certifying Factory Surgeon, John G.
Jack M.B., Ch.B.Edin
VOLUNTEERS.
6th (Fifeshire) Vol. Battn. Black Watch
(Royal Highlanders) (I Company); Capt.
George James Lumsden ; Drill-Instructor,
Colour-Sergeant Robert McDongal
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Established Churches: —
Falkland, Rev. Alexander Lyon Johnston
Freuchie, Rev. Charles Fraser M.A
United Free Church, Falkland, Rev. Jas.
H. Morrison M.A
Plymouth Brethren, Falkland
United Free, Freuchie, Rev. Geo. Lowe B.D
SCHOOL BOARD.
Chairman, Alexander Bonthrone
Clerk & Treasurer, John Sheriff
Board Schools: —
Falkland, for 280 children; average at-
tendance, 150; John Richardson, master;:
Miss Agnes Stewart, mistress
Freuchie, for 250 children; average atten-
dance, 152; Allan Mill, master; Miss J,
S. Baxter, mistress
CONVEYANCE BT RAILWAY.
The nearest station is at Falkland road, on
the North British railway, 2£ miles dis-
tant ; George Wallace, station master
An omnibus from Falkland runs to the-
station three times a day in winter, and;
in summer more frequently; Mrs. Cath.
Ness, proprietress
Falkland.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Crichton Stuart Lord Edward Ninian, of
Falkland house
Cusin Major James, Chapel yard
Gavin Geortre, Lomondside house
Gulland Charles, Millfield
Jack John G., M.B., Ch.B.Edin. Canonbury
Jackson Charles, Lomondvale
Johnston Rev. Alexander Lvon (Estab.),
The Manse
Mackgill-Crichton CharlesMaitland.Lathrisk
Morrison Rev. James H., M.A. United Free
Church manse
Page William (provost)
COMMERCIAL.
Anderson George, tailor
Angus John, Commercial hotel
Baxter George, town officer & billposter.
Town hall
Bell Thomas, dairyman
Brattesani Luigi, ice cream dealer
British Linen Co.'s Bank (Charles Gulland r
agent; Alex. Sutherland, accountant);
draw on London office, Threadneedle si
E C & Bank of England E C, London
Brunton Christopher, butcher
Bryce D. & Co. drapers & milliners
Cemetery (David Scott, keeper)
Ourlin,^ Club (John Sheriff, sec)
Dall James B. cycle agent & plumber
:iggonette propr
Society Limited
(Lawrence Reid, sec.), grcrs. bkrs. &c
Falkland Cricket Club (James Forsyth, sec)
Falkland Floorcloth Co. St. John's works
Falkland Golf Club (James Forsyth, sec)
Fraser Alexander B. joiner
Galloway D. & A. wood turners
Galloway James, fancy stationer
Ga3 Works (John Dick, manager)
Garvin George, factor for the Falkland
estates
Gulland Charles, agent to British Linen Co.
Bank, solicitor & town clerk & collector
of rates & notary
Hamilton James, dairyman
Hardie George, tailor
Hardie Jane (Mrs.), refreshment rooms
Hardie Christina (Mrs.), Bruce Arms hotel
Harvey Annie (Miss), grocer &c
Herd "Colin, boot dealer
Inland Revenue Office (stamps & taxes)
(Thomas Williamson, sub-distributor &
collector"*
Jack John G., M.B., Ch.B. surgeon, paro-
chial medical officer, public vaccinator &
certifying factory surgeon
Jackson Chas. & Sons, linen manufacturers,
Pleasance works
Laing Agnes (Miss), shopkeeper
Lawrie William, plumber, gasfitter & bell-
hanger
Lister Andrew, baker & confectioner
Lumsden David, spirit dealer
McDougal Colour-Sergeant Robert, recruit-
ing Serjeant & drill instructor Gth Co.
1st (Fifeshire) Vol. Batt. Black Watch
(Royal Highlanders)

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence