‹‹‹ prev (673)

(675) next ›››

Provost, John A. E. Cuninghame
Bailies, Two
Councillors, Five
Town Clerk & Chamberlain, Alexander
Fraser, Dunfermline
Medical Officer of Health, Thomas Goodall
Nasmyth M.D., CM., D.Sc., D.P.H.
Assessor of Land & Heritages, John H.
Chairman, Rev. David W. B. Fleming
Inspector of Poor, John Penney
Collector of Rates, John Ross
Medical Officer, George Thomas Sinclair
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for
the Parish of CuIros3, John H. Brown
Constabulary Station.James Walker, constbl
Established Church, Culross, Rev. George
Stephen B.D. & Rev. John Gordon M.A. ;
Rev. David M. Hampton, assistant
United Free Church, Culross, Rev. David
Whyte Buist Fleming
Chairman, Rev. David W. B. Fleming
Clerk, John H. Brown
Chairman, Lawrence Johnston, of Sands
Olerk, Alexander Fraser, solicitor, Dun-
: Board School, James Gray B.A
The Stirling & Dunfermline branch of the
North British Line.
.East Grange Station, Edwin Henry Law-
rence, station master
Bogside station, Colin McLean, statn. mast
To Dunfermline, omnibuses leave Culross
at 7.45 a.m. & 1, 1.30 & 4.20 p.m re-
turning from Dunfermline at 8 & 11.30
a.m. & 4.15 & 6.10 p.m. (sunday ex-
cepted); extra omnibuses on Saturday at
4 & 6 p.m. returning from Dunfermline
at 8 p.m
To Kincardine, omnibuses meet all trains
Marked thus * letters should be addressed
New Mills, Dunfermline.
Marked thus f letters should be addressed
East Grange, Dunfermline.
Arnott James
Bertram George
Brown Mrs. A
Bruce Rev. William B.D. Dunimarle
Crichton Peter
Cuninghame John A. E. Balgownie house
Curne Miss, Innisforth
Davidson Mrs. B. E. The Park
Fleming Rev. David Wrhte Buist, United
Free Manse
Gordon Rev. John M.A. (Estab.),The Manse
Luke Miss
M'Gregor Miss
Pringle James, Blair castle
-Sinclair George Thomas M.D
jSmith-Sligo Archibald Dominic, Comrie
Stephen Mrs
Thomson Misses, Sandhaven house
^Younger George, Valleyfield house
Brown John Henry, assessor & appraiser,
& registrar of births, deaths & mar-
riages for the parish of Culross
Candiish Jane (Mrs.), grocer
Christie Alexander, coach & omnibus propr
*Coltness Iron Co. Lim. (Gilbert Morrison,
manager), Blair Hall colliery
Donald Adam, Dundonald Arms P.H
Drysdale Annie (Mrs.), grocer & genl. dealr
*Erskine Andrew, joiner, Shires mill
Harrower Janet (Mrs.), draper & grocer
Penney John, draper & grocer & inspector
of poor, Post office
Public Library (John Penney, librarian)
*Rodger David, miller (water), Shires mill
Ross John, collector of rates
Scotland William, baker
Sinclair George Thomas M.D. & C.M.Edin.
physician & surgeon, medical officer for
Culross & Torryburn & certifying factory
Smith John, boot & shoe maker
Sneddon Jessie (Mrs.), general dealer
Spitbal Alexander, joiner
Steven Memorial Hall
Stewart Thomas, grocer
Town Hall (Alexander Fraser, clerk)
Walker Henry H. Red Lion P.H
^Wilson David, blacksmith, Shires mill
Angus Mrs. Blinkerrie
^Bennett James, Blairhall
Bissett David, Righead
Buchanan John, Balgownie Mains
Buchanan Thomas, Middlegrange
Buchanan William, Bogside
Carmichael John, New Farm
Couper Robert, Shepherdlands
ICouper Robert, Shepherdlands
Cunningham Thomas, Blairmaine
Donald Archibald & Robert, Whitehills
Finlayson Robert, Ashes
Finlayson William, Kirkton
Kirk James, Galloridge
Osborne William, Overton
jOsborne William, Muirside
*Bodger David, Shires mill
fSmith-Sligo Archbd. Dominic, Topitlaw
Young Robert. Woodhend
Young John, Blairhall Mains
Young Thomas, Comrie Mains
tYoung William, East grange
CULTS is a parish, having its kirktown
2£ miles east of Ladybank, which is the
nearest railway station, and is a junction on
the North British line ; the parish extends
5 miles from north to south by 2 wide, and
is bounded north by Cupar and Monimail,
east by Ceres, south by Kettle and Leven,
and west by Kettle and Collessie ; it is in
the small debt court district of Cupar, and
contains the village of Pitlessie. It abounds
in coal, lime and freestone, and is gener-
ally well cultivated and enclosed. The
name of the parish is derived from the
Gaelic " coillte," which signifies "the
woods.'' Sir David Wilkie R.A. the cele-
brated artist, was born here 18 Nov. 1785,
his father having been minister of Cults
for over 30 years. The annual fair is held
on 23rd May. The Sir David Wilkie Memo-
rial Hall was opened in 1898, and is used
for public meetings. The Hon. Thomas
H. A. Cochrane M.P. of Crawford Priory,
The area comprises 2,811 acres; rateable
value, £8,335; population in 1891, 700, and
in 1901, 628 civil and 593 ecclesiastical.
Pitlessie is a small village in this parish,
2 miles north-east from Kettle, on the road
between Kirkcaldy and Cupar, 4 south-
south-west from the latter town, and about
2 east from Ladybank station. There is a
public school here which serves for the
whole of the parish. The population in
1901 was 347.
Sub-Post Office, Pitlessie; Thomas Robert-
son, sub-postmaster. Letters received
through Ladybank, which is also the
nearest money order & telegraph office,
3 miles distant. Deliveries, 8.35 a.m. &
6.10 p.m.; dispatches, 6 a.m. & 4.5 p.m.
Postal Orders are issued & paid here
Chairman, Andrew Smith J.P. Prestfield
Clerk, Alexander G. Harper, Pitlessie
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages &
Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates
for Cults, Alexander G. Harper
Sir David Wilkie Hall & Museum, George
Leitch, sec
Established Church, Cults, Rev. William
Henry Porter
United Free Church, Pitlessie, Rev. William
L. Craig M.A
Pitlessie (Parish of Cults.)
Chairman, Andrew Smith J.P
Clerk & Treasurer, Alexander G. Harper
School, Pitlessie, Geo. Leitch M.A. master
Craig Rev. William L., M.A. (U. F. C),
Henderson William Balfour, Pitlessie
Martin Mrs. Priestfield, Pitlessie
Porter Rev. William Henry (Established)
Bain Stephen, blacksmith, Cults lime wrks.
Barclay James, baker, Pitlessie
Brown John, grocer, Pitlessie
Coutts Agnes (Mrs.), draper,grocer & spirit
dealer. Pitlessie
Crawford Cecilia (Miss), grocer, Pitlessie
Doig William, blacksmith, Pitlessie
Fox Donald, tailor
Fox James, grocer, Pitlessie
Garland David, joiner, Pitlessie
Harper Alexander George, clerk to Parisn
Council & School Board, inspector of
poor & collector of rates & registrar of
births, deaths & marriages, Pitlessie
Martin, Henderson & Graham, maltsters
& grain merchants, Pitlessie
Martin James (trustees of), lime burners,
farmers & coal owners, Priestfield, Pit-
Mercer Mary (Miss), grocer & spirit dealer,
Robertson Thomas, draper & sub-postmastr
Sir David Wilkie Memorial Hall & Museum
(George Leitch, sec)
Stewart Wm. spirit dealer, Pitlessie
Alison Alexander, Cults mill
Alison Robert, Braeside of Cult 3
Angus John, Pitlessie mill
Doig David, Pitlessie mill
Graham John, Skelpie
Martin James (trustees of), Priestfield
Mitchell Thomas & Son, Kirton of Cults
Petrie James, Upper Bunzion
Smith Andrew J.P. Walton hill
Smith James, Cults farm
Thorns John, Bunzion. Pitlessie
West William, Brotus
CUPAR, a royal and parliamentary burgh
and parish, designated Cupar-Fife, to dis-
tinguish it from Cnpar-Angus, on the
borders of Perthshire, is the capital of the
county of Fife, and seat of the county
council, 32 miles north (by rail via Forth
Bridge) from Edinburgh, 12£ south from
Dundee, 9 west from St. Andrews, and 9
north-east from Falkland, situated on the
left bank of the Eden, and with a station on
the Edinburgh, Thornton and Dundee
branch of the North British railway. As a
royal burgh Cupar is governed by a pro-
vost, three bailies, and a dean of guild, with
a treasurer and 12 councillors. The or-
dinary sheriff court and the sheriff small
debts courts are held everv Thursday during
session. It is a place of considerable an-
tiquity, but in the present day its aspect
is that of a modern town, nor are there any
ancient remains to be discerned in or about
Cupar. Of its castle, so frequently alluded
to in Scottish history, not a vestige is now
visible; the Castle hill, where that fortress
once stood, and in which the plays of Sir
David Lindsay and the -â–  Satire of the
Three Estates" were acted in 1555, is
now the site of a public school. The
principal streets of the town are the
Crossgate, the Bonnygate and St. Catherine
street, which last is built on the plan of
the houses in Edinburgh. The burgh is
lighted with gas, supplied by a company
established in 18o0. Here are the
county buildings and two hotels. The
places of worship are the old parish
church in Kirkgate, the parish church of
St. Michael, in Westport, three United
Free churches, Episcopalian, Baptist and
Roman Catholic churches. The Episcopal
church of St. James, in St. Catherine
street, an edifice in the Classic style,
occupies the site of a convent of Dominican
or Black Friars. On the south side of
the river is the old prison, now used as a
private warehouse; the later gaol, built
on rising ground, a little to the north
of the Dundee road, is now used as stores
and a depot for the Fife Militia Artillery.
The principal trade of Cupar arises from
the linen manufacture, but brewing, tan-
ning, coach building and other avocations
are carried on. There are branch banks
here of the British Linen Company, the
Commercial Bank of Scotland Limited, the
Clydesdale Bank Limited, the Royal Bank
of Scotland and the National Bank of
Scotland Limited, together with a bank
for savings. Three newspapers are pub-
lished in Cupar, the "Fife Herald and
Journal," the " Fife News " and the
" St. Andrew's Citizen." The Duncan
Institute, in Crossgate, was founded by

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence