‹‹‹ prev (670)

(672) next ›››

(671)
DIRECTORY.]
Staig Bobert & James, Ladiddie, by St.
Andrews
Stewart John, Struthers Barns
Summers James & Son, Burnside
Summers Peter, Bankhead
Thomson John A. Newmcrging of Craignall
Waldie Adam Walker, North Callange
Wilson Alexander, Muirhead
Yool William, Bridgend
Tool William W. Baltilly
CHAPEL, see Kirkcaldy.
CHARLESTOWN, see LIMEKILNS.
COALTOWN, see Markixch.
COX.INSBUBGH is a large village in
rhe parish of Kilcouqnhar and small debt
court district of Anstruther, on the road
from Elie to Cupar-Fife,, 2£ miles north-west
from the former and 10 south-east from the
latter and 4 miles east from Largo. Kil-
conquhar, on the Thornton Junction and St.
Andrews section, of the North British rail-
way, is the nearest station. It was origin-
ally built by Colin, third earl of Balcarres,
â– who died in 1722, and is named after him.
There is a United Free church here, and
a branch of the Commercial Bank of Scot-
land Limited. The "Galloway'' Library
and Beading Room was built in 1903, from
money bequeathed for the purpose by the
late Thomas Carstairs Galloway esq. who
also left a sum of £600, the interest on
which provides three bursaries and a simi-
lar amount for the yearly benefit of the
deserving poor. A -weekly corn market is
held everv Thursday. The population in
1891 was 3S4, and in 1901, 352.
Post, T., M. O., T. M. O., E. D. & P. P.
0.. S. B. & A. & I. 0. (Railway Sub-
Office. Letters should have B.S.O. Fife-
shire added) ; Miss L. C. Niven, post-
mistress. Deliveries, 9.20 a.m. & 7.16
p.m. : dispatches, 6.45 (Oct.-May) & 11
a.m. 2.50, 6.45 & (10.30 p.m. June-Sept)
Police Station, Colinsburgh, Frances Puge,
officer
Stamp Office, Miss L. Charlotte Niven, sub-
distributor
6th Volunteer Butt. Black Watch (Boyal
Highlanders) F Company, Capt. Thomas
Clark
United Free Church, Rev. Robert Dick
Board School, James H. Balleny, master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Davidson James Scott, Cairnie
Dawson Mrs. C. Gordon
Dick Rev. Robert (U. F)
Kidd Mrs. Catharine
Kirkcaldy Davi d
McHardy Donald Chisholm M.B
COMMERCIAL.
Aitken Catherine (Mrs.), plumber, cycle
agent & ironmonger
Braid Win. baker & confectioner; & Elie
Brown Alexander, engineer &c
Campbell John, grocer & spirit dealer
Cameron Lewis, bookseller &
stationer
Cameron Lewis, chemist
Commercial Bank of Scotland Limited
(branch) (Joseph Ross, agent; George R.
Dingwall, accountant); head office, Edin-
burgh; draw on London office, 62 Lombard
street E C & Coutts & Co. W C, London
Crichton William, blacksmith, Balchristie
Dingwall Andrew, tailor
Dingwall George R. registrar
East of Fife Agricultural Society (George
R. Fortune, hon. sec)
Fortune George R. factor to the Right Hon.
the Earl of Crawford of Balcarres, Col.
John Anstruther Thomson of Charleton,
John H. Baxter esq. of Gilston,Sir Coutts
Lindsay bart. of Leuchars, Major William
Anstruther Thomson of Kilmany, A.
Jerfery Rintoul esq. of Lahill & Oliver
Haig esq. of Ramornie, Balcarres Estate
office
Foster David & Son, saddlers
Garvie Marshall, draper & boot maker
Gas Works (George R. Dingwall, sec)
Haggart Eleanor (Mrs.;, Balcarres Arms htl
Howie James C. joiner & builder
Jack Joseph, dairyman
Jack Margaret (Mrs.), general dealer
Lawson James, inspector of poor & collector
of rates
MacGregor Kenneth M. slater
McHardy Donald Chisholm M.B., CM.
physician & surgeon, & parochial medi-
cal officer for Kilconquhar & Carnbee
Melville Jemima (Miss), dress maker
Niven George, general draper
Ogilvie John, boot maker
Ramsay John, joiner, builder & wheelwright
Robertson Henry, spirit dealer
FIFE3HIRE.
Roger Thomas, painter & paperhanger
Skinner George, grocer & spirit dealer
Somers Alexander, tailor
Stamp Office (Miss L. Charlotte Niven,
sub-distributor)
Swan John, blacksmith
Troup William, butcher
White Robt. & Co. (Wm. Brown, manager),
grocers, spirit dealers & ironmongers
Wood Margaret (Miss), private school
Young Annie (Miss), toy & fancy goods dlr
Young John, joiner & builder
COLLESSIE fa Gaelic word denoting the
bottom of a glen) is a parish with its kirk-
town 4 miles south-east of Newburgh and
containing- the village and polire burgh of
Ladybank (which see). It is in the small
debt; court district of Cupar und extends o
miles from north to south by 5 in breadth *.
it is bounded on the north by Newburgh and
Abdie, west by Auchtermuchty,, south by
Kettle, east by Monimail; mere are rail-
way stations at Ladybank and Collessie, the
former on the main line and the latter on the
Ladybank, Newburgh and Perth section of
the North British railway. Oliver Haig
esq. of Ramornie, J. Boyd Kinnear esq. of
Kinloch, Charles J. M. Makgill-Crichton
esq. of Lathrisk, and Miss Elizabeth H.
Leslie-Melville, of Melville, are the prin-
cipal landowners. The area comprises
8,782 acres ; rateable value of landward,
£11,469; the population in 1891 was 2,093,
and in 1901, 2,161, including 821 in the
burgh of Ladybank. Population of eccle-
siastical parish in 1901, 674.
The hamlet of Giffordtown lies between
Collessie and Landbank.
Post, M. 0., T., T. M. 0., E. D. & P. P.
O., S. B. & A. & I. 0. Collessie (Railway
Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O.
Fifeshire added to them) ; Miss Margaret
Stewart, sub-postmistress. Deliveries,8.35
a.m. & 6 p.m.; dispatches, 1.25 & 4.16
p.m
PARISH COUNCIL.
Chairman, James Crichton esq
Clerk, Inspector of Poor, Registrar of
Births, Deaths & Marriages & Collector
of Poor's Rates, Peter M. Dick, Ladybank
Established Church,, Rev. John Henderson
B.D
School Board, Peter Johnston, chairman;
John L. Anderson, Cupar, clerk & treas
Board School, for 120 children; average
attendance, 80; Wm. A. Penman, master
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.
Station, Thomas Thomson, station master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Graham Robert, Pitlair (postal address,
Bow of Fife, Springfield R.S.O. Fifesh)
Gray Alexander, Newton
Henderson Rev. John B.D. (Established).
Collessie manse
Kinnear John Boyd J.P. Kinloch house
Rae-Arnot Henry, Lochiehead (letters
through Auchtermuchty R.S.O)
Young Andrew, South Kinloch
COMMERCIAL.
Duncan George Barclay, auctioneer, Cornhl
Durie Robert, joiner, Trafalgar
Grandison Margaret (Mrs.), beer retailer.
Trafalgar
Johnstone Margaret (Mrs.), grcr. & genl. dlr
Melville William, blacksmith, Trafalgar
Muir David, miller, Daft mill (postal ad
dress, Bow of Fife, Springfield R.S.O)
Recdic James, grocer & general dealer,
Giffordtown
Stewart Margaret (Miss), sub-postmistre3s
United Free Church Hall*(Mrs. Isabella
Turner, keeper), Giftordtown
Work James, grocer & general dealer
FARMERS.
Bell John, Anusmuir, Ladybank
Birrell Thomas, Bowhouse, Ladybank
Brown Andrew, Rossie, by Auchtermuchty
Burton George W. Shiels
Duncan John, Cornhill
Gentle John, Kilwiss
Grieve Andrew, Leven cottage, Ladybank
Lawson Alexander, Burnturk
Maxwell John, Lumquhat mill
Oiiphant Mrs. Margt. Collessie mill, Lady bnk
Robb Alexander, Lumquhat
Rollo Andrew, Drumtenant, Ladybank
Scett David, Dubs
Storrar William, Hall hill
Thomson James, Daft mill, by Bow of
Fife, Springfield R.S.O
Thomson William, Heatherinch
Watson Robert, Cairnfield, Ladybank
Watson Thomas, Weddersbie
Watt Frank M. Caldwells
COWDENBEATH. 607
Webster Thomas, Rossie
Young Andrew, South Kinloch
COWDENBEATH, a growing town
in the parish of Beath, was constituted a
police burgh in 1890 and is situated just'
below the junction of the Dunfermline and
Kinross and the Dunfermline and Thornton
Junction sections of the North British rail-
way, which has a station here. The burgh
is supplied with water from works con-
structed by the local authority in 1887, and
now under the control of the Town Council,
and is lighted by electricity from "works
the property of the burgh. The parish
church lies a mile north-west of the town,
and there are also two United Free
churches, a Baptist chapel, and two Board
chools. A drinking fountain, surmounted!
by three lamps, was erected in the High
treet, and presented to the town, in
1897, by II. Mungall esq. J.P. in comme-
moration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her
late Majesty Queen Victoria. The area of
the burgh is 322 acres ; rateable value in
1903 was £1G,323; population in 1891,
4,249, and in 1901. 7,467.
Post, T., M. 0., T. M. 0., E. D. & P. P.
0., S. B. & A. & I. 0. Cowdenheath
(Railwav Sub-Office. Letters should have
R.S.O. Fifeshire added to them); Archi-
bald Thomson, postmaster. Deliveries,
7.20 & 8.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; dispatches,
G.30, 8 & 11.20 a.m. & 3, 3.45, 5.50 &
7.40 p.m
BURGH OFFICERS.
High street.
Provost, James Laing
Magistrates, Andrew Wilson & Charles
Barclay
Councillors, nine
Town Clerk, George Terris
Medical Officer of Health, William Craig
M.B. Woodside house '
Procurator Fiscal of Police Court & Sani-
tary Inspector, James Findlay
Police Station, Sergt. David Wright, officer
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Established Church, Rev. John Henderson
United Free Churches, Rev. J. DawsoD
Scott & Rev. James Gilmour B.D
Baptist, Rev. James Bennett
Board School, for 1,250 children; average
attendance, 1,100; Andrew Lindsay, mas-
ter; Miss Isabella Jude, mistress
Board School, Foulford, for 1,020 children;,
average attendance, 782 ; William A.
Guthrie M.A. master ; Miss Mary D.
Calder, mistress
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.
Station, on the main line from Edinburgh
to Perth, George Campbell, station mastr
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bennett Rev. James (Baptist)
Craig William M.B., CM. Woodside house
Gilmour Rev.James B.D. (U. F.), Glenbura
Henderson Rev. John (Established)
Primmer John Boyd M.B., Ch.B.Edin.
High street
Selkirk Alexander M.B
Scott Rev. J. Dawson (United Free Church)
Street William, Park avenue
Young Edward Brooke M.B., CM. North rd
COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Wednesday.
Adams William, draper, High street
Adamson James, grocer, Union street
Alexander William, grocer, 187 High street
Alison Andrew, painter, High Btreet
Allan William, confectioner, School street
Anderson James & Co. tailors, 85 High st
Anderson Lizzie & Janet (Misses), dress
makers, 193 High street
Anderson Peter, tailor, 229 High street
Banks George, cycle maker, see Penman &
Banks
Barclay Charles, watch maker & cabinet
maker, 257 High street
Baxter Alexander, cycle agent, High street
Baxter Henry, fruiterer, Arcade
Beveridge Erskine & Co. Limited linen
manufacturers ; & Dunfermline ; TN 788 ;
T A " Beveridge, Dunfermline "
Beveridge John C cabinet maker, High st
Beveridge William, agent to National Bank
of Scotland (sub-branch) ; head office,
Edinburgh
Binning Sidney, plumber & gasfitter
Blyth Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper, North-
wood place
Bogie James, Burgh Arms, 1 High street
Boswell John, boot & shoe maker, High st*

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence